5,815,061 Members 37,681 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM][8/07/14][4.4.4][ART/DEODEX][Android L Mode] Google Play Edition (#BESTROMEVER)

Tip us?

digitalhigh
Old
(Last edited by digitalhigh; 7th August 2014 at 08:28 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 5,413

DONATE TO ME
Default [ROM][8/07/14][4.4.4][ART/DEODEX][Android L Mode] Google Play Edition (#BESTROMEVER)

So, are you sick or running Sense yet?

I was. I mean, it's not that Sense is as bad as it was back in the day, but I'm still just not ready to embrace it with open arms.

So, I wanted to help make GPE for our device...and I was successful in that endeavor.

First and foremost, props to Holyangel for his amazing work on the Skydragon ROM this is based on. Also, many thanks to Zarboz for his help in getting me going in the right direction...Chriskader for his initial release thread which we kinda hijacked to discuss making this port...and graffixnc, mrjaydee82, and iB4STiD for their M8 GPE Roms that I used as source and reference files.

So, it is without further adoe...

What it is:

A mostly vanilla port of the Google Play Edition ROM for the HTC M8 with minimal modification and tweaks...

Features:

Android Version: 4.4.4
Firmware base: 2.12.1700.1
Built from %100 stock and clean base

HTC Duo Camera support
HTC TV App (IR Blaster)
HTC Dot View Case support, HTC Weather included
Motion Launch Gesture support

Android L Mode includes the following Android L Resources:

BasicDreams
Books
Dreams
Books
Calendar
CloudPrint
Drive
Email/Exchange
GenieWidget(search)
Gmail
Google Camera
Google Home
Hangouts
Heads Up Notification
Google Keyboard
Google Music
Quick Office
Clock
Youtube
Play Store
Settings (some elements)
SystemUI (some elements)
Velvet (google Now)
Wallpaper Cropper

Fonts
System Sounds
Boot Animation

Performance Enhancements:

Deodexed w. Art - It's runs ART. It's Deodexed! It does both!!
Massive CID List: Supports more carriers
Memory optimizations for hardware UI
Optimized filesystem on install
Native Init.d and Busybox
Rooted with SuperSU
Zip-aligned on boot
SQLite optimization on boot
Build.prop tweaks
System R/W
Stock Kernel Rooted
Full/insecure ADB
Camera tweaks (larger recording resolutions, higher framerates, higher photo quality)

Aroma Installer:

Optional GPS Location Selection for the following countries:

Argentina, Asia, Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, Europe, Germany, Italy, North America, Russia, South America, United Kingdom, United States.
Launcher selection(GEL,Launcher2,Apex,Nova,Xperia)

Optional Apps:
Active Display, Apollo Music Player, Chronus Weather/clock widget, Dolphin Browser, Flash Player, GSAM Battery monitor, Greenify, I'm Sleeping, Inverted SMS/MMS, LMT (Pie/gesture control), MX Player, Rom Toolbox Lite, and Kernel Tweaker.

Optional Xposed and Mods:
Xposed Installer
GravityBox
Tinted Status Bar
Youtube Ad-Away
Xposed AppOps
Verizon Roaming Fix

Optional Sound Mods:
Project ERA
Sound Explosion Mod

ElementalX Kernel:

ElementalX Configuration File
Your choices in the Aroma installer are used to build a configuration file. The config file is located at /etc/elementalx.conf. You can edit this file to change kernel settings. Whatever is set in this file will take effect when the device is booted (unless other scripts or apps interfere!)

If settings are not sticking:[*]Make sure you have busybox installed correctly and updated to the latest version[*]Make sure the file permissions for /etc/init.d/99elementalx are set to execute.[*]Check to see if any /etc/init.d scripts or apps (such as Kernel Tuner or TricksterMod) are interfering with your settings.

ElementalX Log File
Every boot, a log file is created at /data/local/tmp/elementalx-kernel.log. This file shows the date and time and all settings that have been applied. Use this to verify and troubleshoot configuration options.

Overclocking
Overclocking is optional. The installer lets you choose the maximum frequency. Whatever frequencies you chose in the installer will be set at boot for each CPU. Not all devices can handle overclocking. I don't recommend overclocking, this device is fast enough. If you overclock, the CPU frequency will likely be throttled due to heat. I recommend the stock frequencies, as this device is plenty fast.

CPU voltages
The installer allows you to choose from several undervolting options: stock, -15mV, -30mV, or -45mV. This only undervolts the lowest frequency, which happens to be the frequency used the most, and this is safer. Be careful, lowering voltages can cause instability.

gboost
gboost enhances gaming performance by giving a slight boost to cpu frequencies when the graphics load is high (e.g. while gaming). It should have no effect on battery life during regular usage, so it's safe to leave it enabled all the time.

fsync
fsync can be disabled if you're looking for the last ounce of performance. I recommend leaving it enabled as there is a slight risk of data loss if your phone shuts off unexpectedly before filesystems are synced.

Installing a new ROM
If you install a new ROM, it will probably replace this with the stock kernel and will definitely overwrite /etc/init.d/99elementalx and /etc/elementalx.conf so you will lose your settings and certain features. So always reinstall the kernel after installing a ROM.

Sweep2sleep
Sweep2sleep allows you to put your device to sleep by swiping right to left across the bottom of the screen where the back, home, recent buttons are. I find this useful since the stock motion gestures do not provide a good way to turn off the screen.

/sys/android_touch/sweep2wake

0= disabled
1= sweep2sleep right enabled
2= sweep2sleep left enabled
3= sweep2sleep left and right enabled

USB fastcharge
USB fastcharge is optional. This will allow you to charge at a faster rate when connected to a USB port. The default limit for USB ports is 500ma, this increases it to 1100ma. Be sure that the computer/laptop/whatever you are plugged into can handle it. Some will automatically cap it at 500ma. Please note that this does not force AC charge mode like previous implementations of force fastcharge. Your battery setting will still say USB mode. You can edit /etc/elementalx.conf to change the setting on boot.

Wake Gestures

There are three modes
Mode 1: Stock Motion Launch Gestures
For stock motion launch gestures, /sys/android_touch/wake_gestures, /sys/android_touch/sweep2wake and /sys/android_touch/doubletap2wake must all be set to 0. Enabling any of these overrides the stock gestures. Obviously Motion Launch Gestures must be enabled in the system settings.

Mode 2: Remove motion requirement
For this, you must set /sys/android_touch/wake_gestures to 1 and enable at least one gesture in /sys/android_touch/sweep2wake or /sys/android_touch/doubletap2wake and Motion Launch Gestures must be enabled in system settings. In this mode, when you sweep or doubletap, the appropriate input events are generated and acted upon the EasyAccessService (i.e., the system app that handles gesture actions).

Mode 3: Traditional S2W/DT2W
In this mode, wake gestures and actions are handled entirely by the kernel. The gestures will turn on the screen and that's it. For this, you must set /sys/android_touch/wake_gestures to 0 and enable at least one gesture in /sys/android_touch/sweep2wake or /sys/android_touch/doubletap2wake. It doesn't matter if Motion Launch Gestures is enabled or disabled in system settings, the gestures don't interact with it in this mode.

Options

For modes 2 and 3, there are several options.
Sweep2Wake

Gesture........Value
Sweep right......1
Sweep left........2
Sweep up.........4
Sweep down....8

Add up the values for each gesture you want to enable and put the total in /sys/android_touch/sweep2wake. For example, to enable all gestures, the value is 15 (1+2+4+8). To enable sweep right, sweep left and sweep up, the value is 7 (1+2+4)

DoubleTap2wake

Set /sys/android_touch/doubletap2wake to 1 to enable DT2W, and set to 0 to disable it.

Pocket Detection

Set /sys/android_touch/pocket_detect to 1 to enable pocket detection, and set to 0 to disable it. Pocket detection is experimental right now, I'd say it's about 90% functional, but there is an occasional bug where it either doesn't work or works too well.

Vibration Strength

Haptic feedback can be enabled for the wake gestures in /sys/android_touch/vib_strength. This setting takes a number between 0 and 60. Default is 20, which is the same vibration as the stock gestures. Setting this to 0 disables haptic feedback.

What doesn't work:

LOL. You tell me.

What works:

ROM is now 100% working.

As of 7/3/14, the roaming issue has been fixed, and the ROM is now 100%. Enjoy.

How to Install:

1. Download.
2. Put on SDCard.
3. Wipe Data if coming from different ROM.
4. Install.
5. Reboot.
6. ??
7. Profit.

DOWNLOAD:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0O...it?usp=sharing

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23610159112651517

MD5; ba32556c886f24b89a646703494cffeb

CHANGELOG:
Code:
08.07.14 - 

Fixed issues with Lunar kernel causing bootloops in certain cases.

08.04.14 - 

Made "L" stuff more optional - framework-res for animations, systemUI for IC stuff, settings.apk for settings, and a new headsup app. You can pick each component to install.

All three MMS apps in the ROM are now fixed for size stuff. Because I'm replacing a core system app (Hangouts), there *MAY* be issues if you have an updated version of it installed as well. I got a bunch of google f/c's after dirty flash - rebooting seems to fix this.

Replaced the heads-up apk with a better one that's free, and works in all rotations.

Forced rotation is now an optional system mod in the installer.

SD camera is now an optional system mod in the installer. 

Hot reboot now works as expected, instead of making the phone bootloop.

The torch apk works as expected. As an additional happy accident, the flash mini-app in the dotview mod module for xposed now works.  

Re-added several of the init.d scripts for optimization (not the one that makes it optimize apps every time )

Added the proper ART fix.

Now with free cookies!

08.03.14 - 

Add MrJayDee's data drop fix.

Modify framework.jar to force all apps into auto-rotate.

Complete overhaul of VZW/carrier settings from Stock.

Android L features made optional again.

Updated to latest Luna kernel.

Luna kernel now has working CIFS!  (requires CIFSmanager, must mount share to mnt/cifs/foo)

Updated Kernel tuner to kernel tuner 2014.

Fixed wipe settings in installer to allow selection of wipe options.

Updated several system apps, including dotview and HTC TV.

Optional camera app modded to allow writing to SD_external.

More sprockets than ever!

COMMON ISSUES/FAQ:

Refer to post #2.

Kernel source:

http://www.htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads
https://github.com/flar2/m8-GPE-4.4.3
https://github.com/holyangel/HTC_M8_GPE-4.4.4

Reporting Bugs:

I'm a big fan of logcats, especially when it's an issue that can't be easily reproduced. As this is basically a vanilla ROM, the issues should be minimal, but if you do have a problem that can't be easily reproduced, then you need to post a logcat, or I may ignore you or say something snarky instead of providing assistance. Obviously, a description of the issue and how to reproduce it help as well. Saying "my phone dun not work" isn't going to help.

Also, refer to this post before you report any issues:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...08&postcount=2

Like what I do? Maybe you'll like my band too. I sing.

http://www.facebook.com/Corruptable
The Following 92 Users Say Thank You to digitalhigh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

digitalhigh
Old
(Last edited by digitalhigh; 14th July 2014 at 03:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5,413

DONATE TO ME
Common Issues/FAQ

1. I can't get GPS Lock!

Do a nandroid. Flash a stock Sense ROM. Go into GPS settings and make it "GPS Only". As in, make sure that the GPS lock you are getting is using GPS ONLY. If it's using the hybrid/wifi GPS, you will probably have to do this again. Reboot. Restore from Nandroid. You should now have GPS Lock.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...asterFix&hl=en

2. What does the HTC Weather app do in Settings?

It controls the weather updates for dotview case users. Otherwise, it doesn't do anything.

3. Where is the HTC Camera, I want to take duo pictures?

You don't need the HTC Camera. The ROM includes the HTC Photo Gallery, which is where you actually apply duo effects. When you go to edit a photo, select it as your "always" editor.

4. What about this stock HTC/Sense App? I want it.

You're welcome to try making it work yourself. The stock apps included with this ROM are provided only because they work natively with GPE, and because they add functionality to the ROM that wouldn't otherwise be there. This includes the dotview app, gallery app, TV/IR app, and weather.

5. I've already got the ROM installed and want to do an update...should I wipe first?

Probably not? It depends on which version you're on, but for the most part, you should be fine dirty flashing. My approach is always to try first, and then if there are issues, do a wipe and rebuild my apps and stuff. Most changes I'm making at this point should not require a wipe. If I feel it's wise, I will state as such when posting news of a new release.

If you're NOT currently using GPE, then YES, you need to wipe.

6. I see this is deodexed...can I still use ART?

Yes you can, but Xposed will not work.

7. I know there used to be issues with roaming/camera lag. Are these still here?

No. At this time, roaming and camera are both fixed 100% and should require no user interaction to make work.

8. This feature of the kernel isn't working. What's up with that?

I believe it's an issue with how the kernel is installed, but haven't gotten around to looking at it yet.

9. This says "L" in the name, but I don't really see much android L. WTH?

I'm doing the best I can. I have added as many of the apps from the L release as possible...many of these do not yet have the new UI to them. I decided to keep them with the ROM for future releases/play store update compatibility. It does have the wallpapers, sounds, boot animation, and many system UI elements...however, being GPE, a lot of that look is already present. I am currently working to make things look and act more like the L preview...but it takes time, and I have a life.

10. I am getting a f/c/bootloop/picture of Jesus on my screen. Help!

Read the thread. Search it. If you still can't find anything, refer to post 3. If you still have the issue, take a logcat and post it with a thorough description of your issue and how to reproduce, and I'll be happy to try and help you.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to digitalhigh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

digitalhigh
Old
(Last edited by digitalhigh; 4th July 2014 at 03:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5,413

DONATE TO ME
FAQ Addendium

"OMG! I have a problem! Something is broken! My ___ isn't working correctly! Fix it!"

I get it. Your phone is a complicated supercomputerthingy, and you think this ROM somehow broke it.

That could happen.

But more than likely, there's some bit of data sitting around somewhere that's pissing it off, and all you need to do is get rid of that to make the problem go away.

So, do me a favor...next time you have an issue, do this:

1. Do a nandroid.
2. Wipe your /data and /cache and /system partitions. Completely. Not userdata of course, but the regular data wipe.
3. Flash the ROM with absolutely nothing else on top of it.
4. Boot.
5. Try to reproduce your issue.

If you follow these steps to the letter and still have a problem, then please, feel free to report it. If you haven't, then do them first, and see what happens.

Thanks.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to digitalhigh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Zarboz
Old
Known Scammer
Thanks Meter 9,257

DONATE TO ME
Good to see

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Building a better droid is the purpose of today Android History
G1->mytouch 3g -> Mytouch slide -> Mytouch 4g -> HD2 magldr -> Thunderbolt -> Evo 3D -> Sensation -> Evo 4g -> Evo 3D -> HTC vivid -> One X -> One S -> ( Evo LTE (thanks xda) -> Droid DNA
I stay HTC.
Checkout my new project at EasyDevStudio
[showp1984] Times of day and sleep are something for weak people - I am a cybernetic organism, and have a sleep mode.
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Come hangout
irc.freenode.net
#teamblackout
I BUY BRICKED PHONES!

The Following User Says Thank You to Zarboz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fronc
Old
Thanks Meter 105

DONATE TO ME
Is it presently still not possible to incorporate HTC sense framework to have things like Zoe , Gallery, Camera, and... Well I guess that's all I really care about haha. I want to take advantage of the dual back cams, but other than that, I want my AOSP style back!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
HTC One (m8) | Verizon Wireless 4G LTE | HTC Sense 6.0

coldconfession13
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Thank you and GPE does take advantage of dual cam when you take pic it should pop up for edit.

bigmixxx
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by fronc View Post
Is it presently still not possible to incorporate HTC sense framework to have things like Zoe , Gallery, Camera, and... Well I guess that's all I really care about haha. I want to take advantage of the dual back cams, but other than that, I want my AOSP style back!

This is a port of the GPE, correct? so I think the camera software was included! (at least according to a video I saw)
Verizon Galaxy Note II: My Current
ROM:CyanogenMod 11 (oh this is a VERY good build)
Carrier: Verizon

Former Phones:
Nokia N900, till there was a bootable Android for the HD2, then upgraded to the (Bad meets Evil) G2x, Sensation (donated to my daughter), Big Herc(ules), Galaxy Nexus (Verizon and GSM) and Now the Best Big Thing...Note II

fronc
Old
Thanks Meter 105

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmixxx View Post
This is a port of the GPE, correct? so I think the camera software was included! (at least according to a video I saw)
If someone can confirm, I think I may make a switch... Thanks!

HTC One (m8) | Verizon Wireless 4G LTE | HTC Sense 6.0

androidoholic
Old
Thanks Meter 97

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by fronc View Post
If someone can confirm, I think I may make a switch... Thanks!

I'll let you know if it works on this one soon. But it should, I read somewhere a while back where HTC supplied the ONE M8 GPe with the camera firmware to make it work. And since the software for the GPe devices come from the manufacturer not from Google, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

ITGuy11
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Awesome, installing now!
Current Devices
HTC One M8
Nexus 10, Nexus 7 FHD, Nexus 5

Past Devices
Samsung GS4 (jfletvzw)
Nexus 7 2012
HTC DNA
Galaxy Nexus