Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Exclamation [Q] 4.4.2 Finally Rooted, Unlocked, Flashed Recovery, and Cyanogenmod installed

OP J0hnC0nn3r

11th April 2014, 08:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
Alright so let me start off by saying that I have never had so much hell rooting and putting a custom Rom onto a phone. I am also a bit disappointed in xda as non of the articles were of much help, they were all broken up and I ran into trouble at literally every step. The easiest part was rooting the phone with ioroot, but finding it actually wasn't that easy because most of the tutorials I found from the start kept having me use other methods and none of them worked.

Second once I performed this step and had everything installed I realized that in order to use my wifi hotspot, I was going to need a custom rom. this was of course after trying dozens of worthless hotspot apps in the store, none of which worked. So I started trying to put a custom recovery on the phone, this was by far the hardest part, I tried and scoured the internet for 3 days, I swear to god I read every article and tried every method out there....the new ATT LG G2's however have a lock on the recovery to prevent people from doing this, I found it strange that none of these articles written based on 4.4.2 thought to mention that an exploit has not yet been found. Finally I ran across an article where I learned of this and was told to downgrade, so I downloaded SuperSport & big fau LG G2 D800 Flash stock. Thinking that this rom was going to unlock the recovery because it said it would, I ran through the process.

This however, was not the case and it didn't help, the whole time I was convinced that this had unlocked my recovery, I continued to try every tutorial on installing a recovery onto this device, the AT&T LG G2 kitkat 4.4.2 (D80020c), which btw is a week old from the date of this post. I like a lot of other people, will have this phone and be looking to unlock, root, install custom recovery, and install custom rom. For this I would like to figure out a few things and hopefully if y'all help me figure this out, I can include fixes for it in the next article that I write, which will explain how I successfully put a custom rom on my AT&T from start to finish. I will also include in this article what could go wrong and how to fix it, too many articles are written without taking into consideration the possibilities of what could go wrong.

It took me three solid days of scouring the internet to get a custom Rom on my phone, running through problems at every step I still have a few questions. After downgrading from 4.4.2 to 4.2.2 my recovery was broke, thankfully I was able to fix this using flashify in the app store. I then installed Cyanogen Mod 10 (cm-10.2.0-d802.zip). and installed it through recovery, when I rebooted I was presented with a fastboot which would do crap when I would plug the usb into my computer...I never figured out what the problem was for this, but I ended up trying a version of CM 10 which was released for the LG G2 D80010d that I downgraded too, the tethering doesn't work...no big deal, but the problem is when I set WiFi hotspot up and connect, on my computer I get SSL error's, my computer completely refuses to let my connect to facebook or google, saying that the connection is insecure, it won't let me grab any kind of certificate and I can't find a solution online. I have tried rebooting both the computer and phone, I don't get these errors on the WiFi at the gas station.

In the above paragraph, I stated the two problems I couldn't really figure out, I haven't tried to install any other custom roms, but I will try that today, I have to save my bandwidth on my phone so I will walk down to the truck stop and download one, ps I had to flash my phone back to stock about 5 times before I finally figured out I needed to downgrade it, then I had to do it 2 more times.

If y'all take the time to read this and help me, then I will take the time to write a new and working article describing how to do it from start to finish and it will be written with explicit detail on every problem I came across and how I fixed it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J0hnC0nn3r For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th April 2014, 09:27 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
Post Figured out how to mix the firmware
Alright, so I was reading through a few more articles and I ran across this link, which will allow you to upgrade back to D80020c, but without loosing the stock recovery. I'm going to have to wait till later today to give it a try though, because the internet at the truck stop is to slow to download something of that size.
12th April 2014, 03:37 AM   |  #3  
XxZombiePikachu's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,510
 
2,540 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0hnC0nn3r

Alright so let me start off by saying that I have never had so much hell rooting and putting a custom Rom onto a phone. I am also a bit disappointed in xda as non of the articles were of much help, they were all broken up and I ran into trouble at literally every step. The easiest part was rooting the phone with ioroot, but finding it actually wasn't that easy because most of the tutorials I found from the start kept having me use other methods and none of them worked.

Second once I performed this step and had everything installed I realized that in order to use my wifi hotspot, I was going to need a custom rom. this was of course after trying dozens of worthless hotspot apps in the store, none of which worked. So I started trying to put a custom recovery on the phone, this was by far the hardest part, I tried and scoured the internet for 3 days, I swear to god I read every article and tried every method out there....the new ATT LG G2's however have a lock on the recovery to prevent people from doing this, I found it strange that none of these articles written based on 4.4.2 thought to mention that an exploit has not yet been found. Finally I ran across an article where I learned of this and was told to downgrade, so I downloaded SuperSport & big fau LG G2 D800 Flash stock. Thinking that this rom was going to unlock the recovery because it said it would, I ran through the process.

This however, was not the case and it didn't help, the whole time I was convinced that this had unlocked my recovery, I continued to try every tutorial on installing a recovery onto this device, the AT&T LG G2 kitkat 4.4.2 (D80020c), which btw is a week old from the date of this post. I like a lot of other people, will have this phone and be looking to unlock, root, install custom recovery, and install custom rom. For this I would like to figure out a few things and hopefully if y'all help me figure this out, I can include fixes for it in the next article that I write, which will explain how I successfully put a custom rom on my AT&T from start to finish. I will also include in this article what could go wrong and how to fix it, too many articles are written without taking into consideration the possibilities of what could go wrong.

It took me three solid days of scouring the internet to get a custom Rom on my phone, running through problems at every step I still have a few questions. After downgrading from 4.4.2 to 4.2.2 my recovery was broke, thankfully I was able to fix this using flashify in the app store. I then installed Cyanogen Mod 10 (cm-10.2.0-d802.zip). and installed it through recovery, when I rebooted I was presented with a fastboot which would do crap when I would plug the usb into my computer...I never figured out what the problem was for this, but I ended up trying a version of CM 10 which was released for the LG G2 D80010d that I downgraded too, the tethering doesn't work...no big deal, but the problem is when I set WiFi hotspot up and connect, on my computer I get SSL error's, my computer completely refuses to let my connect to facebook or google, saying that the connection is insecure, it won't let me grab any kind of certificate and I can't find a solution online. I have tried rebooting both the computer and phone, I don't get these errors on the WiFi at the gas station.

In the above paragraph, I stated the two problems I couldn't really figure out, I haven't tried to install any other custom roms, but I will try that today, I have to save my bandwidth on my phone so I will walk down to the truck stop and download one, ps I had to flash my phone back to stock about 5 times before I finally figured out I needed to downgrade it, then I had to do it 2 more times.

If y'all take the time to read this and help me, then I will take the time to write a new and working article describing how to do it from start to finish and it will be written with explicit detail on every problem I came across and how I fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0hnC0nn3r

Alright, so I was reading through a few more articles and I ran across this link, which will allow you to upgrade back to D80020c, but without loosing the stock recovery. I'm going to have to wait till later today to give it a try though, because the internet at the truck stop is to slow to download something of that size.

well first I want to clarify you on that week old part especially since we have had kitkat on d800 since about feb 27 in fact if you look at garys thread about kk with custom recovery which is originally from march 6(on 5th we figured out what needed to be done but on 6th they began rolling out) and also if you would have asked for assistance I could have helped to find all needed info on rooting and everything (I just don't spend a lot of time in the dedicated d800 thread) anyways as for 20c I've been on it since root was available(also on first day of release of 20c) and have been running garys rom since it was released and I love it but if you want tethering(I know a way to enable you just need a paid app) and there are already threads on doing things from start to finish http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2633150
The Following User Says Thank You to XxZombiePikachu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th April 2014, 03:52 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
Thumbs up Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxZombiePikachu

well first I want to clarify you on that week old part especially since we have had kitkat on d800 since about feb 27 in fact if you look at garys thread about kk with custom recovery which is originally from march 6(on 5th we figured out what needed to be done but on 6th they began rolling out) and also if you would have asked for assistance I could have helped to find all needed info on rooting and everything (I just don't spend a lot of time in the dedicated d800 thread) anyways as for 20c I've been on it since root was available(also on first day of release of 20c) and have been running garys rom since it was released and I love it but if you want tethering(I know a way to enable you just need a paid app) and there are already threads on doing things from start to finish http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2633150

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a dick. I just had a really hard time finding a complete walkthrough on this, I ended up taking bits and pieces from different tutorials and it seemed that most of them only covered one aspect of the process, like recovery, or if they covered the whole walkthrough they would either leave something out or I would recieve errors, such as the loki error, and the original adb not detecting my device. I had to download an adb from an alternative source because the official adb wouldn't detect my device, after trying everything but it didn't bother me because I figured it out and thanks for your response, really appreciated, I will check that out....How many mods have you tried and what features do you like about them? I liked the ideal of the CM 11 for the 4.4.2 because it boasted the porting of pretty much every feature that comes on the LG G2 4.4.2...Like the double tap to unlock and such....I will check out Gary's mod and see what it offers, thanks again
The Following User Says Thank You to J0hnC0nn3r For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th April 2014, 10:44 AM   |  #5  
Krayziepop's Avatar
Member
Flag Flushing, MI
Thanks Meter: 53
 
81 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2007
More
I would just like to start out by saying congrats on getting your device to where you've wanted it - I do agree that the G2 is a special case right now considering the lack of development and spotty information available for development.

With that being said...

There is a really good reason why the site was named XDA-"Developers" and not XDA-"Newbs". The primary focus of these forums is for the purpose of developers engaging one another and sharing their discoveries with the community. There are some really great developers here that take a LOT of their own PERSONAL time to create the stunning softwares, hacks, themes, etc. that often ultimately get freely distributed to the public. Take note that 99% of these threads start off with "Use my software and instructions with NO expectation of support or warranty" or "Flash at your own risk".

These folks give so much to the community and often ask for little or nothing in return. While the information right now is pretty sparse and scattered, do you think you could have achieved what you did without it? The mere fact that you have a custom ROM, root and recovery is a testament to the hard work of the folks here who are giving their own time up in the name of furthering development. Our G2s, while stellar devices, are the outliers in the world right now because they are not in the hands of the masses. How many people have looked at you and asked "is that the new Galaxy??" I believe in time, someone with way more time and Android know-how than I, will deliver something mind-blowing to the XDA community for this device. Just be patient and realize that the majority of Smartphone users right now have a GNote, S4, or HTC something-or-another.

Finally, re-read your post and try to hear the tone you delivered. You sound upset that the XDA community hasn't delivered you an easy root/recovery package on a silver platter with all the trimmings. Again - this forum is for developers. What they choose to share with the rest of us as non-developers is totally up to them. They also tend to share more when the support they receive is positive. Long rants about your disappointment in the community over how you had a hard time getting what you wanted on your device - well you catch more flies with honey...

Cliffs notes? Hug a developer, and say thank you for what you've managed to accomplish with your device. Without the info posted around here, we'd all be living with stock ROMs and unrooted, bland G2s. If you are unhappy with your own personal experiences with getting to where you are right now... Well, you obviously know where the "new post" button is. Become a contributor, tell us how YOU did it and give back to the community. If you only rant about your disappointments, then you aren't really making anything better for anyone around here - in fact it only serves to clutter up an already fragmented knowledge base.

From one long winded poster to another - good luck in your ventures with the G2. It has served me well so far and I believe it will continue to do so for quite a while.

Regards.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Krayziepop For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th April 2014, 12:41 PM   |  #6  
therealjwkware's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
53 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
tethering
If tethering is all you wanted. I would have done it the easy way. You can unlock WiFi tether by trying to turn it on, then when it fails use sqlite editor from the market to go in and change the provisioning status to 0 in the database file. Sqlite costs 2 bucks, it would be worth that to not have to go through all that. I never thought I would own a phone without a custom Rom, but so far I'm still stock on the lg g2 it's that good. Most annoyances can be fixed as long you have root.
17th April 2014, 12:35 AM   |  #7  
BreakingVZW's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Carmel
Thanks Meter: 405
 
1,023 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayziepop

I would just like to start out by saying congrats on getting your device to where you've wanted it - I do agree that the G2 is a special case right now considering the lack of development and spotty information available for development.

With that being said...

There is a really good reason why the site was named XDA-"Developers" and not XDA-"Newbs". The primary focus of these forums is for the purpose of developers engaging one another and sharing their discoveries with the community. There are some really great developers here that take a LOT of their own PERSONAL time to create the stunning softwares, hacks, themes, etc. that often ultimately get freely distributed to the public. Take note that 99% of these threads start off with "Use my software and instructions with NO expectation of support or warranty" or "Flash at your own risk".

These folks give so much to the community and often ask for little or nothing in return. While the information right now is pretty sparse and scattered, do you think you could have achieved what you did without it? The mere fact that you have a custom ROM, root and recovery is a testament to the hard work of the folks here who are giving their own time up in the name of furthering development. Our G2s, while stellar devices, are the outliers in the world right now because they are not in the hands of the masses. How many people have looked at you and asked "is that the new Galaxy??" I believe in time, someone with way more time and Android know-how than I, will deliver something mind-blowing to the XDA community for this device. Just be patient and realize that the majority of Smartphone users right now have a GNote, S4, or HTC something-or-another.

Finally, re-read your post and try to hear the tone you delivered. You sound upset that the XDA community hasn't delivered you an easy root/recovery package on a silver platter with all the trimmings. Again - this forum is for developers. What they choose to share with the rest of us as non-developers is totally up to them. They also tend to share more when the support they receive is positive. Long rants about your disappointment in the community over how you had a hard time getting what you wanted on your device - well you catch more flies with honey...

Cliffs notes? Hug a developer, and say thank you for what you've managed to accomplish with your device. Without the info posted around here, we'd all be living with stock ROMs and unrooted, bland G2s. If you are unhappy with your own personal experiences with getting to where you are right now... Well, you obviously know where the "new post" button is. Become a contributor, tell us how YOU did it and give back to the community. If you only rant about your disappointments, then you aren't really making anything better for anyone around here - in fact it only serves to clutter up an already fragmented knowledge base.

From one long winded poster to another - good luck in your ventures with the G2. It has served me well so far and I believe it will continue to do so for quite a while.

Regards.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Nothing new to add to this but I've never had so much fun reading through a response that utterly fleeced another person for going full on ungrateful douche. Kudos sir. Lol

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BreakingVZW For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2014, 10:50 PM   |  #8  
Member
Flag ewa beach
Thanks Meter: 9
 
94 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
More
For me this was the easiest phone to root and flash recovery. Used ioroot for root and freegee to install custom recovery. That's when I was using jelly bean now I'm on stock kit Kat

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app

The Following User Says Thank You to nizmoboy98 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes