It may be quite a few steps but, it is very simple! For more background reading I will provide a brief appendix at the end of this post; if you want to know more than provided, there is a multitude of information available on this forum.
- Do not unplug your phone at any point until guided
- Don't deviate from this guide unless you have a problem, even then ask first
- Do not click Repartition!!!
Before you root or even put your phone in download mode, go and download the following. Credit is due where neccessary, so I won't attach the files in this thread, rather point you to other peoples hard work.
KUDOS to you all
- Heimdall and frontend - Heimdall home page
- Download the ROM you want - Epic thread here. I went for I9003XXKPQ (2.3.6)
- Root and CWM5 Amit Bagaria's awesome thread
Only 3 things needed, cool huh On with the show.
1) Put your phone in to download mode. Do this by turning it off, hold <volume down> and <home> then power on whilst still holding the mentioned keys
2) You should have a little android telling you not to turn off the target. Connect your phone to the computer
3) From within the Heimdall frontend, go to the utilities tab
4) Look at this screenshot
5) Click Detect (1) to check connection between your computer and phone.
6) If your computer has a connection, click Save As... (2) and choose a location to save your PIT file.
7) The Download (3) button should have become active. Click it and wait until the operation is finished
8) Extract the contents of the ROM. The scenario below will use the XXKPQ ROM downloaded from the epic thread
- The ROM will start off as a .zip file, extract this
- The result will be another compressed file named something like 'I9003XXKPQ_I9003XXKPQ_I9003SERKPQ_HOME.tar.md5'
- Extract the contents of this file to produce the files you need to flash from Heimdall, see the screenshot below
9) Within the Heimdall frontend, navigate to the flash tab.
10) Look at this screenshot
11) Click Browse (1) and select the PIT file you download from your phone in step 7
12) The Add (2) button should become active. Click add
13) The drop down field labelled Partition Name (3) should become active. Select one of the file types you extracted in step 8. Don't worry that there will be more than you have
14) Click the Browse (4) button and select the file name that matches the type you chose.
15) Repeat steps 12-14 for all the files you extracted from the ROM
16) Take a breath, this is the nerve racking part
17) Click Start (5)
18) Both the PC and phone will become active, watch and wait until it says operation complete
19) After the operation is complete, your phone will reboot. It will take a lot longer than normal so go make a cup of tea
20) When the phone is up and running, do your base set up and power off.
21) Go back in to download mode as explained in steps 1 and 2.
22) Extract the contents of Amit Bagaria's Kernel
22) Type the following
heimdall flash --normal-boot /home/rooted/normalboot.img
23) Let the operation finish
24) Jump for joy
I hope you found this guide quite easy to read and more to the point, now have a rooted and up to date phone. There are many more enhancements to make but, I'll let you find those answers. This post is my first post and supposed to be a simple guide after all, no need to confuse people.
If you have any problems, please do ask and I will try to answer any queries or point you in the right direction to the best of my abilities.
- PIT - Partition Index Table. Simply a map of your disk
- ROM - Read Only Memory. A program you can't change by default
- CWM5 - Clock Work Mod. A recovery mode that allows you to do some nifty things with your phone later
- Kernel - The heart of your operating system