Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,588 Members 45,287 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Not Able to Connect Wifi to Kindle Fire 7" HD (ON button greyed out)

Tip us?

taylerzy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] Not Able to Connect Wifi to Kindle Fire 7" HD (ON button greyed out)

My Kindle Fire 7" HD was giving me problems a few days ago, so I used a factory cable to run KFHD_SRT_v1.2.3 (Option 2) to restore my system. It restored my Kindle with no errors, but while registering, there was no options for selecting a Wifi connection. I tried manually entering the Wifi information with no success. I skipped the Kindle registration since I couldn't connect to Wifi, and found that the ON button under the Wireless Internet options is now greyed out. "Need help connecting to Wi-Fi?" is shown underneath the On/Off buttons, but it does nothing when I click on it.

How should I attempt to connect my Kindle to wireless?

sd_shadow
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,470

DONATE TO ME
I've requested that this thread be moved to
7" Kindle Fire HD Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting
No support via PM! Please ask in a public thread, that's what the forums are for.
Notify me by Posting @sd_shadow in thread I'll help you as much as I can...
Always in motion is the future

Divine_Madcat
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2,235
Moved!

My Phones:
HTC Blue Angel (retired)
HTC x7501 (retired)
HTC Incredible, w/ AOKP (GPS use)
HTC Rezound (backup phone)
Samsung Galaxy S4 w/ GPE 4.4.2

My Tablets
B&N Nook Color, w/ CM10
HP Touchpad w/ CM10
Google Nexus 7 w/ Stock Rom (STOLEN.... )
Google Nexus 7 (2013) w/ Stock Rom & Glitch Kernel

If you have any problems or questions, do not hesitate to ask. I don't bite!
The Following User Says Thank You to Divine_Madcat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 608

DONATE TO ME
If rooted try running
Code:
adb shell "su -c 'idme print'"
, see if your WiFi and Bluetooth mac adresses list still on that command. I like to make sure its not a bad boot block before running a few other checks.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null

taylerzy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
If rooted try running
Code:
, see if your WiFi and Bluetooth mac adresses list still on that command. I like to make sure its not a bad boot block before running a few other checks.

My Kindle is rooted, but the device doesn't seem to be detected by adb. When running the command, I get
C:\Users\<User Name>\Downloads\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321\sdk\platform-tools>adb shell "su -c 'idme print'"
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found

In Windows 7, I went to the Device Manager and found Kindle Fire -> Android ADB Interface. No yellow triangles indicating a problem with the drivers. Then I went to "C\Users\<User Name>\.android\adb_usb.ini" and found that 0x1949 is listed. Then I checked Kindle Settings -> Security and found that Enable ADB is On.

What am I missing here?

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 608

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylerzy View Post
My Kindle is rooted, but the device doesn't seem to be detected by adb. When running the command, I get
C:\Users\<User Name>\Downloads\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321\sdk\platform-tools>adb shell "su -c 'idme print'"
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found

In Windows 7, I went to the Device Manager and found Kindle Fire -> Android ADB Interface. No yellow triangles indicating a problem with the drivers. Then I went to "C\Users\<User Name>\.android\adb_usb.ini" and found that 0x1949 is listed. Then I checked Kindle Settings -> Security and found that Enable ADB is On.

What am I missing here?
try uninstalling the adb interface in the device manager then refreshing the device manager to notice the device again, and install it with my drivers. If you are using the stock amazon drivers they tend to not always work, not sure if this is the case this time but its always a good idea to use googles(which is essentially what mine are, i just modifed the inf file to include the kindles vid and pid).
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE

taylerzy
Old
(Last edited by taylerzy; 18th April 2014 at 08:30 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
try uninstalling the adb interface in the device manager then refreshing the device manager to notice the device again, and install it with my drivers. If you are using the stock amazon drivers they tend to not always work, not sure if this is the case this time but its always a good idea to use googles(which is essentially what mine are, i just modifed the inf file to include the kindles vid and pid).
The device is now detected: adb devices shows List of devices attached "D025A0A0242714AL device".

Reading idme data ...
version: 1.2
boardid: 8030800000000000
serial: D025A0A0242714AL
mac: E0CB1D4A4F48
sec: 9NDPKB437GXFH0ZP0F4F
bt: E0CB1D4AF7FC
pid: (zeros)
pid2: (zeros)
bootmode: 1
postmode: *
mfg:

taylerzy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylerzy View Post
The device is now detected: adb devices shows List of devices attached "D025A0A0242714AL device".

Reading idme data ...
version: 1.2
boardid: 8030800000000000
serial: D025A0A0242714AL
mac: E0CB1D4A4F48
sec: 9NDPKB437GXFH0ZP0F4F
bt: E0CB1D4AF7FC
pid: (zeros)
pid2: (zeros)
bootmode: 1
postmode: *
mfg:
Fixed! I tried many different things, but what finally fixed it was very simple.
I downloaded an updated version of SRT that has an option for restoring factory recovery:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1951254
KFHD_SRT_v1.3.5- 7.3.0
After using option 3 with admin privileges, my Kindle automatically detected nearby WiFi connections.

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 608

DONATE TO ME
Good, I was going to confirm at least four boot0 block is OK, but you figured the rest out so co grants and sorry for the slow reply, I'm taking it a bit easy this weekend because I have been spending too much time trying to work on a project that's a bit above me and my brain needs a bit of a break.