Using SD card from Rezound in the S5

Search This thread

mortymouse

Jun 8, 2010
Sorry guys, I am traveling right now and my wife needs a bit of help.

She took her SD card out of her Rezound and put it in the S5. She is trying to figure out where everything is stored as when you look at the SD card (when its plugged into the PC) its not showing all of her files?

Basically she needs to move music over and when the SD card is in she cant find anything on the phone. Is there a new format that needs to be used or does anyone know why she wouldnt be able to view the entire contents of her SD card while the S5 is plugged into the PC?

delawaredrew

Dec 13, 2010
Olympia, WA
Sorry guys, I am traveling right now and my wife needs a bit of help.

She took her SD card out of her Rezound and put it in the S5. She is trying to figure out where everything is stored as when you look at the SD card (when its plugged into the PC) its not showing all of her files?

Basically she needs to move music over and when the SD card is in she cant find anything on the phone. Is there a new format that needs to be used or does anyone know why she wouldnt be able to view the entire contents of her SD card while the S5 is plugged into the PC?

KitKat changed how apps can access the external SD card so if you just swap a card into a KK device you will probably not be able to access all existing app files with same apps you had on the old device. When you plug it in to the PC however I'd expect that you can see everything (unless some files are hidden for some reason). So maybe her music was on the 16GB internal storage of the Rezound?
File transfer is fast on USB 3.0 so just format the card through the new phone (Settings> Storage> Format SD card) and transfer it back over. I usually create a "Music" folder in the root of the SD card and dump whatever right in when it connected to PC... I just did this on my S5 a few minutes ago and the phone saw the music when I started the Music app.

I'd consider it good practice to format the card when changing phones anyway.