Art/Drawing apps - optimal settings thread

Search This thread

FaeMinx

May 9, 2009
In order to get the best experience from whichever app you are using, it is necessary to adjust a myriad of settings to cater to your preferred style.

So to help new users (or provide insight to those already familiar with the app), please feel free to share the settings that work for you.

With natural media, my preferred medium is a 0.3mm pacer. This way I can take a sketch all the way to a finished work with a high level of detail. All with just one tool.

So first and foremost I look for the ability to replicate this medium (as close as possible) in whichever art app I am using.
Until yesterday, the app that came closest from my experience was 'Sketchbook Pro for Galaxy'.
That all changed when I installed the new 'LayerPaint HD'

So I'm going to begin by sharing my settings for LayerPaint HD

*Please note that for an optimal sketching experience in all the apps I've tried, it is necessary to disable 'settings/system/s pen/Air View'
Otherwise that little blue donut will obscure a small area around the tip of your pen and will compromise your accuracy.

*For some apps, like this one and Sketchbook, I find that disabling screen rotation makes the ease of use much better as there is no annoying break to your work flow.

LayerPaint HD

My layout:

Settings (All options listed are active):

*Use of Pen Pressure
*Disable Single Touch
*Use of Multithreading
*Brush Interpolate
*Show Brush Size Cursor
*Volume Key Undo-Redo
*Position Toolbar Always on Right or Left
*UI Scale - 75%
*Show Pixel Grid
*Show Brush Opaque Bar

Now for the Brush Settings:

Pen:
Width - 4px
Min Width - 0%
Opaque - 100%
*Size by Pressure

Pencil:
Width - 3px
Min Width - 0%
Opaque - 100%
*Size by Pressure
*Opaque by Pressure

Eraser (Hard):
Width - 16px
Min Width - 0%
Opaque - 15%
*Size by Pressure
*Opaque by Pressure
*Soft Edge

Eraser (Soft):
Width - 15px
Min Width - 0%
Opaque - 3%
*Size by Pressure
*Opaque by Pressure
*Soft Edge

I haven't really played with the other brushes as they aren't that useful for my style of sketching.
Why I prefer LayerPaint HD over Sketchbook, is that with these settings I can achieve a very light thin line with my pencil and with a bit more pressure achieve a nice solid line. Very much like I would with a 0.3mm pacer. The sensitivity and range of opacity is greater than what I can achieve in Sketchbook Pro, so shading is a lot easier and my lines are more precise and detailed.

Nevertheless, my next post will detail my custom settings for 'Sketchbook Pro for Galaxy'.

Minepow2

Nov 20, 2013
Wow. I might need to pick up LayerPaint HD. I'll wait for your post on Sketchbook for Galaxy first, though.

hertsjoatmon

Dec 10, 2012
Hertfordshire (Herts)
While not app specific, I've been running my drawing apps through IOBIT Advance Mobile Care's Gaming Booster. It forces background apps to close and prevents them from opening up again so in theory is freeing up as much processor and RAM resource for the app in question.

I couldn't say if it makes a significant improvement or not as its become habbit to open them this way. I cant remember what it was like running them directly.

FaeMinx

May 9, 2009
Interesting. I'll check out that app... haven't noticed any lag when sketching... so ill resist using it until I experience a slow down, then I'll test to see if the app helps at all.

Reactions: Minepow2

tunznath

Jul 8, 2013
Cannot find game booster anywhere if i search iobit on playstore all i get is 1 app AMC Security Thanks for settings ,btw what happened to settings fo r sketchbook?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2

FaeMinx

May 9, 2009
Sorry, I got caught up in real life... haven't sketched in weeks. I'm desperately making up stock for the mid year festivals. I literally don't have a moment to spare. I may have some time to make that post about Sketchbook in 2 - 3 weeks time.
Sorry everyone. :)

=~. O =

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
Sorry, I got caught up in real life... haven't sketched in weeks. I'm desperately making up stock for the mid year festivals. I literally don't have a moment to spare. I may have some time to make that post about Sketchbook in 2 - 3 weeks time.
Sorry everyone. :)

=~. O =

After seeing a few questions here on this thread... I downloaded this app, and am impressed with such ease of use. Your settings are a bit better than defaults. Though I am a novice sketcher... more of a doodler. This app makes the stylus seem more fluid than I expected, and being pretty bad with pens and pencils, being a lefty. I was able to do some nice starters on hair patterns, that always drove me up the wall.

Thanks for not only giving out some good settings, but introducing an app that is not only good but fun to use.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In order to get the best experience from whichever app you are using, it is necessary to adjust a myriad of settings to cater to your preferred style.

So to help new users (or provide insight to those already familiar with the app), please feel free to share the settings that work for you.

With natural media, my preferred medium is a 0.3mm pacer. This way I can take a sketch all the way to a finished work with a high level of detail. All with just one tool.

So first and foremost I look for the ability to replicate this medium (as close as possible) in whichever art app I am using.
    Until yesterday, the app that came closest from my experience was 'Sketchbook Pro for Galaxy'.
    That all changed when I installed the new 'LayerPaint HD'

So I'm going to begin by sharing my settings for LayerPaint HD

*Please note that for an optimal sketching experience in all the apps I've tried, it is necessary to disable 'settings/system/s pen/Air View'
    Otherwise that little blue donut will obscure a small area around the tip of your pen and will compromise your accuracy.

*For some apps, like this one and Sketchbook, I find that disabling screen rotation makes the ease of use much better as there is no annoying break to your work flow.

LayerPaint HD

My layout:

Settings (All options listed are active):

*Use of Pen Pressure
    *Disable Single Touch
    *Use of Multithreading
    *Brush Interpolate
    *Show Brush Size Cursor
    *Volume Key Undo-Redo
    *Position Toolbar Always on Right or Left
    *UI Scale - 75%
    *Show Pixel Grid
    *Show Brush Opaque Bar

Now for the Brush Settings:

Pen:
    Width - 4px
    Min Width - 0%
    Opaque - 100%
    *Size by Pressure

Pencil:
    Width - 3px
    Min Width - 0%
    Opaque - 100%
    *Size by Pressure
    *Opaque by Pressure

Eraser (Hard):
    Width - 16px
    Min Width - 0%
    Opaque - 15%
    *Size by Pressure
    *Opaque by Pressure
    *Soft Edge

Eraser (Soft):
    Width - 15px
    Min Width - 0%
    Opaque - 3%
    *Size by Pressure
    *Opaque by Pressure
    *Soft Edge

I haven't really played with the other brushes as they aren't that useful for my style of sketching.
    Why I prefer LayerPaint HD over Sketchbook, is that with these settings I can achieve a very light thin line with my pencil and with a bit more pressure achieve a nice solid line. Very much like I would with a 0.3mm pacer. The sensitivity and range of opacity is greater than what I can achieve in Sketchbook Pro, so shading is a lot easier and my lines are more precise and detailed.

Nevertheless, my next post will detail my custom settings for 'Sketchbook Pro for Galaxy'.
    While not app specific, I've been running my drawing apps through IOBIT Advance Mobile Care's Gaming Booster. It forces background apps to close and prevents them from opening up again so in theory is freeing up as much processor and RAM resource for the app in question.

I couldn't say if it makes a significant improvement or not as its become habbit to open them this way. I cant remember what it was like running them directly.
    Interesting. I'll check out that app... haven't noticed any lag when sketching... so ill resist using it until I experience a slow down, then I'll test to see if the app helps at all.