Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,892 Members 42,985 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Z2 connect wireless to transfer data

Tip us?

deepflash
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Storage [Q] Z2 connect wireless to transfer data

Hi guys,

since I'm new to Sony Z* I don't actually know, what is the best way to transfer data to my internal/external sd cards?
I would like to not use cables to leave the docks closed.
So Bluetooth or Wifi would be the next options, while Bluetooth might be a bit slow for lage file transfers I guess.
So is there any easy way to transfer data between the Z2 and a pc ofer wifi? The best thing would be, if no third party software on the pc is required.

nreuge
Old
(Last edited by nreuge; 9th May 2014 at 12:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 692

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepflash View Post
Hi guys,

since I'm new to Sony Z* I don't actually know, what is the best way to transfer data to my internal/external sd cards?
So Bluetooth or Wifi would be the next options, while Bluetooth might be a bit slow for lage file transfers I guess.
So is there any easy way to transfer data between the Z2 and a pc ofer wifi? The best thing would be, if no third party software on the pc is required.
Try Airdroid, it's the best app AFAIK.
Note that because of a restriction introduced by Kitkat, wireless data transfer can not be done directly to the external SDcard. The Airdroid team is currently working to try to overcome this issue.
Xperia T > Xperia Z2
Rom: [4.4.2][.314] eXistenZ Ultimate v2.0.0 - Kernel: DooMKernel (v10) - System tweaks: XperiatweakZ2

My mods for Xperia Z2 [4.4.2]

TheOnlyIntruder
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Hi guys,

If you goto settings, Xperia Connectivity, USB Connectivity, you can pair your device with your computer (the phone will give you instructions), once the phone is paired with your computer you can simply goto the same menu, tap the name for your computer, and you will then be able to transfer files as if you had connected by USB in Media Transfer Mode all over wifi.
Phone History: -
Ericsson A1018s > Ericsson T20e > Nokia 3510i > Motorola V600 > Motorola V3x > Sony Ericsson K800i > Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 > HTC Desire > HTC One X > Sony Xperia Z2 (Current)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheOnlyIntruder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nreuge
Old
(Last edited by nreuge; 9th May 2014 at 02:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter 692

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyIntruder View Post
If you goto settings, Xperia Connectivity, USB Connectivity, you can pair your device with your computer (the phone will give you instructions), once the phone is paired with your computer you can simply goto the same menu, tap the name for your computer, and you will then be able to transfer files as if you had connected by USB in Media Transfer Mode all over wifi.
I didn't notice this new feature, it works fine
Thanks!!

But a toggle would be great to enable the connection.
Xperia T > Xperia Z2
Rom: [4.4.2][.314] eXistenZ Ultimate v2.0.0 - Kernel: DooMKernel (v10) - System tweaks: XperiatweakZ2

My mods for Xperia Z2 [4.4.2]

JMonkeYJ
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
That sounds very cool. How is the data transferred? Not all of my PCs have Bluetooth, so I'm hoping it's not via bluetooth...

EDIT: woops, should have read the last word...."over wifi"

deepflash
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Thanks for mentioning. This will work great at my home I guess, but not at my office pc which is connected to a different wifi network.
I would have to open a Wifi Hotspot on my Z2 and let the PC connect to it to make it still work.

TheOnlyIntruder
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Thanks for mentioning. This will work great at my home I guess, but not at my office pc which is connected to a different wifi network.
I would have to open a Wifi Hotspot on my Z2 and let the PC connect to it to make it still work.
I don't think it matters which network you join, since the pairing is based on the MAC address on each device (An example would be you could still pair with your home computer even if your computer was connected to a different network) unless you're not allowed to have your phone connect to your work's wifi?
Ericsson A1018s > Ericsson T20e > Nokia 3510i > Motorola V600 > Motorola V3x > Sony Ericsson K800i > Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 > HTC Desire > HTC One X > Sony Xperia Z2 (Current)

deepflash
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
unless you're not allowed to have your phone connect to your work's wifi?
That's the point

SexyIceCream
Old
Thanks Meter 31
unfortunately this doesn't seem to be working for me =/ it just says "connecting" for a long time, and then tells me it could not connect to the network. this is after the message saying the pairing is a success...

TheOnlyIntruder
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyIceCream View Post
unfortunately this doesn't seem to be working for me =/ it just says "connecting" for a long time, and then tells me it could not connect to the network. this is after the message saying the pairing is a success...
This has happened to me too but usually happens if the phone has gone to sleep after it has been connected already, I also think stamina mode blocks the connection while the phone is in sleep. Try turning the wifi off (remember to disconnect from the PC first) and back on and then reconnect but ensure the screen stays on/phone stays awake, once you've done your tasks disconnect from the pc, otherwise it'll eventually as I like to say "forget it's connected while still reporting it is connected".

If it's still not working, try re-pairing and after repeating the above tasks and it's still not working, check your router configuration and/or your pc's network connection settings including any firewalls.

Thats about the best information I can offer really so if it doesn't work after all that I'm not sure what else that can be done.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheOnlyIntruder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]