Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Anyone got Z2 (uk model) with unlocked bootloader

OP rehanraza

19th April 2014, 10:41 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 35
 
155 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2008
More
i got my xperia z2 today from vodafone uk, really impressed with device as i switched from Galaxy S5. one of the thing that troubling me is the locked bootloader which strick even rooting your device, in other words you are limiting potential power of your phone.
Can anyone suggest if he/she got xperia Z2 with unlocked bootloader and from where did you purchase your device.
19th April 2014, 10:51 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 458
 
302 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehanraza

i got my xperia z2 today from vodafone uk, really impressed with device as i switched from Galaxy S5. one of the thing that troubling me is the locked bootloader which strick even rooting your device, in other words you are limiting potential power of your phone.
Can anyone suggest if he/she got xperia Z2 with unlocked bootloader and from where did you purchase your device.

I Got the UK Z2 but my Bootloader is Unlocked... i Have purchased form EE...

Thank you
19th April 2014, 11:01 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 35
 
155 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRimas

I Got the UK Z2 but my Bootloader is Unlocked... i Have purchased form EE...

Thank you

Thanks for the update i think i might switchover to EE then
22nd April 2014, 05:41 AM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Barnsley
Thanks Meter: 836
 
1,698 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRimas

I Got the UK Z2 but my Bootloader is Unlocked... i Have purchased form EE...

Thank you

I also got mine from EE and it was locked as all devices from them should be locked unless u get it from somewhere like carphone warehouse,phones 4u or other Internet sites




Quote:
Originally Posted by rehanraza

Thanks for the update i think i might switchover to EE then



Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
22nd April 2014, 10:29 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 35
 
155 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by festa20

I also got mine from EE and it was locked as all devices from them should be locked unless u get it from somewhere like carphone warehouse,phones 4u or other Internet sites








Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app


Yea cancelled my deal with voda an ordered from Phones4u. Handset is at DPD Enfield depot. Will collect in couple of days. Hope it comes with unlocked bootloader. Finger crossed.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
22nd April 2014, 11:06 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
156 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
okay a noob question ! but as far as i have read, ALL the Z2 have locked bootloaders ? mine is due to be delivered today, and here is the noob part , how do i check to see if my bootloader is locked ?
22nd April 2014, 11:51 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Flag West Sussex, UK
Thanks Meter: 64
 
431 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Mine is from Vodafone and is bootloader & SIM locked. (Thinking about returning it because if this).
Open dialer and type *#*#service#*#* This will give you all the info

Sent with Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to mushtafa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2014, 02:18 PM   |  #8  
Why So Serious?'s Avatar
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 264
 
139 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Donate to Me
More
In most cases* if you buy a Sony phone on contract within the UK it'll have a locked bootloader and there is literally nothing that can be done about it.

I learned the hard way with my last Sony device (on contract with Three) so have bought the Z2 off-contract this time round and will pay for a Sim-only plan with Three (this works out cheaper as well).


*Buying on-contract through a third party such as CPW might possibly give you an unlocked bootloader... but it's down to the Network to lock the bootloader permanently and I don't know whether they have this opportunity before CPW ships them to customers
22nd April 2014, 03:55 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 613
 
394 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?

In most cases* if you buy a Sony phone on contract within the UK it'll have a locked bootloader and there is literally nothing that can be done about it.

I learned the hard way with my last Sony device (on contract with Three) so have bought the Z2 off-contract this time round and will pay for a Sim-only plan with Three (this works out cheaper as well).


*Buying on-contract through a third party such as CPW might possibly give you an unlocked bootloader... but it's down to the Network to lock the bootloader permanently and I don't know whether they have this opportunity before CPW ships them to customers

Carphone Warehouse always supply unlocked devices so that's one good reason to go there (i believe the same is true of phones4u but i have no first hand experience of this).
22nd April 2014, 03:59 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 35
 
155 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2008
More
I'll. Collect my p4u z2 on Friday and let you guys know whether BL is locked or unlocked.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes