[Q] Please help a Noob

OP landran

22nd April 2014, 07:08 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
OK. I think I've done my due diligence. I've scrubbed the forums for 2 days, I've googled it and I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Friend gives me this rooted LG OGP. Awsome! Works great! Then AT&T or LG sends an OTA update that bricks it . Read Aryan1312's sticky thread in this forum and get all pieces together. By now I have the 3.8.1 drivers AND the newest 3.10.1 drivers, LGFlashTool 1.8.1.1023, along with the newest 10P TOT file. I got the Flashtool to stop asking for PW and I think I'm ready to go.

But then . . . Plug my phone in and Device Management doesn't know what to do with phone. Reinstall drivers pack from LG website. Still no dice. Hmm. Phone is in Team Win Recovery Project v2.6.3.0 recovery screen (I guess that's what it's called) and computer doesn't know what to make of it. Hmm.

Maybe I can put it onto a microSD card and copy stuff over to phone? Maybe flash a different ROM through TWRP? Let's try that. I copy files over to the external SD card, put it into the phone, restart phone, hello TWRP, Advanced-File Manager option, WHY CAN'T YOU SEE THE EXTERNAL SDCARD??? Isn't it supposed to be there under /extSD?? It's time to ask for help.

Question: How do I get my Win7 PC to see the phone as a removable drive/external drive/whatever you call it so that I can get this info over?
I know that I have to change Port #'s after Win7 sees the phone. I just can't get there . . . yet.

- What I've tried:
Reinstalled drivers (both versions) and restarted between trying to plug phone in.
Tried installing phone drivers manually. Still doesn't mount as external HD as far as Win7 is concerned.
Called friend to ask his opinion. He doesn't remember and tries to tell me this is why Apple is "better".
Scoured the web to see what to do. Found articles about this same thing happening and all point to Stickied Post on this XDA forum
I did RTFM and am still lost.

---- Sorry for the long post, I just thought that people who wouldn't mind helping would appreciate the extra info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Devmgmt.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	2702259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0808.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	2702268   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0813.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	2702269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0814.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	2702270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0815.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	2702271  

Last edited by landran; 22nd April 2014 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added photos
24th April 2014, 02:29 AM   |  #2  
Flag 32 44' 44" N / 96 59' 51" W
Thanks Meter: 12

77 posts
More
Drivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by landran

OK. I think I've done my due diligence. I've scrubbed the forums for 2 days, I've googled it and I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Friend gives me this rooted LG OGP. Awsome! Works great! Then AT&T or LG sends an OTA update that bricks it . Read Aryan1312's sticky thread in this forum and get all pieces together. By now I have the 3.8.1 drivers AND the newest 3.10.1 drivers, LGFlashTool 1.8.1.1023, along with the newest 10P TOT file. I got the Flashtool to stop asking for PW and I think I'm ready to go.

But then . . . Plug my phone in and Device Management doesn't know what to do with phone. Reinstall drivers pack from LG website. Still no dice. Hmm. Phone is in Team Win Recovery Project v2.6.3.0 recovery screen (I guess that's what it's called) and computer doesn't know what to make of it. Hmm.

Maybe I can put it onto a microSD card and copy stuff over to phone? Maybe flash a different ROM through TWRP? Let's try that. I copy files over to the external SD card, put it into the phone, restart phone, hello TWRP, Advanced-File Manager option, WHY CAN'T YOU SEE THE EXTERNAL SDCARD??? Isn't it supposed to be there under /extSD?? It's time to ask for help.

Question: How do I get my Win7 PC to see the phone as a removable drive/external drive/whatever you call it so that I can get this info over?
I know that I have to change Port #'s after Win7 sees the phone. I just can't get there . . . yet.

- What I've tried:
Reinstalled drivers (both versions) and restarted between trying to plug phone in.
Tried installing phone drivers manually. Still doesn't mount as external HD as far as Win7 is concerned.
Called friend to ask his opinion. He doesn't remember and tries to tell me this is why Apple is "better".
Scoured the web to see what to do. Found articles about this same thing happening and all point to Stickied Post on this XDA forum
I did RTFM and am still lost.

---- Sorry for the long post, I just thought that people who wouldn't mind helping would appreciate the extra info.

1. Is the first pic with the phone connected to the pc?
2. If yes, have you tried to manually update drivers, while in device manager
3. I know that this is going to sound funny but have you tried a different USB port. The reason I ask is I had the same problem LG Optimus M and the phone was down for a couple of days. I tried everything and was about to call it quits but for some reason when I changed USB port the computer saw the phone and I was back in business. I am not saying that will 100% work but it is worth a try.
Last edited by TheMighyLoki; 24th April 2014 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Just remembered something.
24th April 2014, 12:41 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMighyLoki

1. Is the first pic with the phone connected to the pc?
2. If yes, have you tried to manually update drivers, while in device manager
3. I know that this is going to sound funny but have you tried a different USB port. The reason I ask is I had the same problem LG Optimus M and the phone was down for a couple of days. I tried everything and was about to call it quits but for some reason when I changed USB port the computer saw the phone and I was back in business. I am not saying that will 100% work but it is worth a try.

Yes I have. I think I did figure it out though. I put the device into "download mode" and my computer could see, and communicate, the phone.
To put my phone into "download mode" I did the following:

I connected the phone to the computer physically with USB cable
I turned phone off.
I pressed BOTH volume buttons and held the power button while phone was attached to computer.
With BOTH volume buttons still pressed, I released the power button.
The phone screen was black with a little dialog box in the middle saying "download mode"

I could then use LGFlash Tools to flash Stock AT&T TOT file back into phone. Took 519 seconds to complete the stock flash.

New problem arises, After flash, I do NOT have any 3G/4G signal. I can use the phone to make and receive phone calls and text messages, but I CANNOT use mobile internet unless I have it connected via wifi.

I installed the Debloated ROM and "tried" to flash 980 Baseband.zip but when I tried to install baseband, CWM gave me a permission error and said install failed. I haven't been able to use mobile internet since. Any help???

-- Again, sorry for the lengthy post. I figured that I might not be the only person who has gone through this. I see a lot of viewers to the thread so I think other people might be having same troubles as me.
24th April 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #4  

77 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by landran

New problem arises, After flash, I do NOT have any 3G/4G signal. I can use the phone to make and receive phone calls and text messages, but I CANNOT use mobile internet unless I have it connected via wifi.

I installed the Debloated ROM and "tried" to flash 980 Baseband.zip but when I tried to install baseband, CWM gave me a permission error and said install failed. I haven't been able to use mobile internet since. Any help???

-- Again, sorry for the lengthy post. I figured that I might not be the only person who has gone through this. I see a lot of viewers to the thread so I think other people might be having same troubles as me.

It sound like you need to manually set the APN. Do a Search for your provider.. ie AT&T T-Mobile the setting is under Network/Tethering & Networks/ Mobile networks/ Access point name/ Hit Menu Button and New APN
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMighyLoki For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th April 2014, 05:38 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
You are the MAN / WOMAN!! Thanks for the help. That fixed it.

For posterity and to help another "noob" stuck in my case later (maybe months down the line)
This is what I've done up until now in plain text:

Used LGFlashtool to flash AT&T stock "10k" build
Went into Settings Icon>General>Developer Options>check off "USB Debugging"
Used "E980 Universal Root" from forums to gain Root access (verified with "Root Checker" from Playstore)
Used FreeGee to get TWRP recovery installed (rebooted into recovery with "QuickReboot" from Playstore).
Used TWRP recovery to install "E980 Baseband.zip" from forums
Factory Reset
Setup new phone and input APN settings (located in Settings Icon>Networks>Tethering & Networks>Mobile networks>Access point names>Menu button "New APN"/input carrier values/Menu button "Save")

Now that I know how to get back here, I'm going to scrap the stock ROM and try to do this whole process with a custom ROM. . . and another flash-a-holic is born. The learning journey continues.
24th April 2014, 05:54 PM   |  #6  
Hendersonville NC
Thanks Meter: 1,128

4,082 posts
Donate to Me
More
Welcome:beer:

*KCCO*2SHAYNEZ*E980*
24th April 2014, 09:15 PM   |  #7  

77 posts
More
Smile That is what this forum is for.
I have been helped out a lot from the group and I just thought it was time to pay it back. It is good to hear that you got it up and running. But one last word of advise BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP, and when that is done, back up the back up to the computer.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread