[Q] How to unlock SGH-i747m

Search This thread

SpacePotato

Apr 6, 2014
How do I unlock the phone? I currently have Cm11 on it.

I want to ditch rogers (terrible service) so what do I need to do to unlock it?

side note, when I got the phone it was via future-shop warranty and they gave me a fido version and put my rogers sim in it, did they unlock it then?

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
How do I unlock the phone? I currently have Cm11 on it.

I want to ditch rogers (terrible service) so what do I need to do to unlock it?

side note, when I got the phone it was via future-shop warranty and they gave me a fido version and put my rogers sim in it, did they unlock it then?

Since Fido is really owned by Rogers, your Rogers SIM may work in the phone if it was originally locked to Fido. To check whether it's unlocked or not, try putting in a non-compatible SIM (like Bell or Telus) and see whether it prompts you for an unlock code. If it does, you would need to purchase a code online or request one from the carrier. If it wasn't on Android 4.3 prior to the CM11 installation, you may be able to install stock Android 4.1.1 and free unlock. Either way, whether you are free unlocking or using an unlock code, you have to be on a stock ROM for it work. You can check your phone's settings and see what baseband and bootloader versions you have. This will tell us know whether you should flash stock 4.1.1 or 4.3

SpacePotato

Apr 6, 2014
Since Fido is really owned by Rogers, your Rogers SIM may work in the phone if it was originally locked to Fido. To check whether it's unlocked or not, try putting in a non-compatible SIM (like Bell or Telus) and see whether it prompts you for an unlock code. If it does, you would need to purchase a code online or request one from the carrier. If it wasn't on Android 4.3 prior to the CM11 installation, you may be able to install stock Android 4.1.1 and free unlock. Either way, whether you are free unlocking or using an unlock code, you have to be on a stock ROM for it work. You can check your phone's settings and see what baseband and bootloader versions you have. This will tell us know whether you should flash stock 4.1.1 or 4.3

Baseband is I747MVLUEMK5 bootloader I have no idea, I just used odin to flash CWM.

I'm open to flashing 4.1 to get a free unlock then going back to CM11

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Baseband is I747MVLUEMK5 bootloader I have no idea, I just used odin to flash CWM.

I'm open to flashing 4.1 to get a free unlock then going back to CM11

I747MVLUEMK5 is ver. 4.3 and you almost certainly have the 4.3 bootloader as well. With this, unfortunately, you can't downgrade to 4.1.1 where the free unlock option is available as any attempt to do this could brick your phone. You would need to request an unlock code from the carrier, if eligible, or purchase one online. There have been reports also that the unlock codes don't work when you are on a custom ROM so if you buy one online and it doesn't work, you will have to flash stock 4.3.

SpacePotato

Apr 6, 2014
I747MVLUEMK5 is ver. 4.3 and you almost certainly have the 4.3 bootloader as well. With this, unfortunately, you can't downgrade to 4.1.1 where the free unlock option is available as any attempt to do this could brick your phone. You would need to request an unlock code from the carrier, if eligible, or purchase one online. There have been reports also that the unlock codes don't work when you are on a custom ROM so if you buy one online and it doesn't work, you will have to flash stock 4.3.

ok, which carrier would I have to talk to, it was a fido phone as mentioned previously. Also is their a possibility I could downgrade to 4.1, or is it a guaranteed brick?

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
ok, which carrier would I have to talk to, it was a fido phone as mentioned previously. Also is their a possibility I could downgrade to 4.1, or is it a guaranteed brick?

You would need to contact Fido since it was originally on their network. I'm afraid nobody has yet posted a method to allow you successfully downgrade to 4.1.1 and still preserve the free unlock functionality. You could follow some instructions posted in this forum to downgrade to 4.1.1. However, this wouldn't allow you downgrade the bootloader/modem which is required for the unlock.

SpacePotato

Apr 6, 2014
You would need to contact Fido since it was originally on their network. I'm afraid nobody has yet posted a method to allow you successfully downgrade to 4.1.1 and still preserve the free unlock functionality. You could follow some instructions posted in this forum to downgrade to 4.1.1. However, this wouldn't allow you downgrade the bootloader/modem which is required for the unlock.

ok thanks.

htc_softbank

Oct 17, 2010

I found a way to downgrade from 4.3 to 4.1.1 or 4.0.4 stock. (for Bell).

I bought and used Mobile Odin (available on the play store). Anyhow, it flashes the stock rom and not the old bootloaders. Once you're on 4.1.1 or 4.0.4 the problem is that *#197328640# no longer works. Basically when you type that ServiceMode comes up, but all the options are gone. I believe this is because they locked those features on the new bootloader (which is still on the phone after the Mobile Odin downgrade...)

Unlocking this phone has become a major pain in the ass.

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I found a way to downgrade from 4.3 to 4.1.1 or 4.0.4 stock. (for Bell).

I bought and used Mobile Odin (available on the play store). Anyhow, it flashes the stock rom and not the old bootloaders. Once you're on 4.1.1 or 4.0.4 the problem is that *#197328640# no longer works. Basically when you type that ServiceMode comes up, but all the options are gone. I believe this is because they locked those features on the new bootloader (which is still on the phone after the Mobile Odin downgrade...)

Unlocking this phone has become a major pain in the ass.

You are quite right. Sam and the networks are winning this time. You can indeed use Mobile Odin to downgrade the system (ROM). However, there hasn't been any reports of a successful downgrade of the bootloader. Therefore, even if you downgrade without bricking the phone, you can't free unlock. Tough but you will need a carrier unlock code.