Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,631 Members 50,907 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moving apps to SD

Tip us?

325i.
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Moving apps to SD

On Android you have the option of moving the apps to the SD card which will obviously create more internal memory.

But are there any disadvantages in this, will it slow the apps/phone down?

djghost_
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Well, that is a good question

The APPS may work a bit slow - it depends on the class (quality class) of your SD card - if u have a fast one it won't be visible and u won't notice the apps are on your SD.

I don't know the exact SD card class numbers - i suggest googling it never did pay attention on it, because it wasnt my #1 priority

Hope i have helped

Cheers.

325i.
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Thanks, any other views on this topic?

RolAr
Old
Thanks Meter 1
The class of the SD card is a measure for bandwidth, I don't think android apps require a lot of bandwidth, moreover when you have opened an app it will be stored in the internal RAM, so at that point it shouldn't be an issue anymore. Of course, opening an app can be slower, but I think that access time is a larger bottleneck than the read/write speed in that case. Personally I never noticed it.

dpmpv
Old
Thanks Meter 0
for some reason some of the apps are a little more buggy when they are on the SD so just try it and see if it works well for you. If it does there is so big downside of having it on there

prboy1969
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6573
Stumbled across this thread. Figured I'd share some info. First off some info on A2SD. Since it would take a lot of space I'll give you some links. You can look HERE for info on what A2SD is, and how it works. You can also check THIS thread for Darktremor's A2SD Beta info. Then there's A2SDGUI (GUI for Darktremor A2SD) which looks interesting. Here is some great information on SD Cards, how they work, and the Classes. Hope that helps shed some light on things .

325i.
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by prboy1969 View Post
Stumbled across this thread. Figured I'd share some info. First off some info on A2SD. Since it would take a lot of space I'll give you some links. You can look HERE for info on what A2SD is, and how it works. You can also check THIS thread for Darktremor's A2SD Beta info. Then there's A2SDGUI (GUI for Darktremor A2SD) which looks interesting. Here is some great information on SD Cards, how they work, and the Classes. Hope that helps shed some light on things .
There A2SD EXT methods, i was asking about the native Android move to SD option.

BudgyN1
Old
Thanks Meter 79
I havent got any problems with any apps whenever I move them to the SD Card. I havent moven apps which doesn't allow me to put it on the SD Card. But if you do move an app onto the SD Card, widgets for that app won't work unless the developers released an widget app for that app. For example, I moved Evernote to the SD Card and I couldn't use the widgets but the developers released another app which allowed me to use the widgets.
Hope this helps

prboy1969
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6573
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325i. View Post
There A2SD EXT methods, i was asking about the native Android move to SD option.
You could run whatever Rom your using through the Kitchen, and Enable A2SD.

TEAM MiK
Mik Roms Since 3/13/11

aadityarulez
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325i. View Post
On Android you have the option of moving the apps to the SD card which will obviously create more internal memory.

But are there any disadvantages in this, will it slow the apps/phone down?
Yes. Longer start up and shut down times because the apps on the sd card has to be monted and unmounted respectively on each boot.