Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,814 Members 43,670 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Dynamic custom recovery

Tip us?

Gromlakh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 167
Default [Q] Dynamic custom recovery

Is there a way to dynamically load/use a custom recovery on an Andoid phone (generally, any phone) without actually having to overwrite the phone's stock recovery? For example, by booting to stock recovery, flashing a zip file that will start up CWM/TWRP so you can use it temporarily, but stock recovery is still there and when you reboot the phone it will still be there? Sort of like using a Linux live cd.

Because I figure someone will probably ask, I'm asking about this because I have a phone that I want to get into that is protected by a pattern lock. I haven't examined it yet, but I am strongly expecting:

- No root
- No custom recovery
- No ADB debugging enabled

I know I can bypass the pattern lock from CWM/TWRP (rm /data/system/gesture.key)...but I would prefer to not have to do an overwrite of the recovery partition if it can be avoided. And whether or not this ends up being needed for this phone, it will be good to know for future reference.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note II i317, AT&T
Current ROM: OmniROM
Kernel: Stock

My OS: Linux Mint 17 (Qiana)

Support Heimdall!
"Just use Odin" is not the right answer.

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 516

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromlakh View Post
Is there a way to dynamically load/use a custom recovery on an Andoid phone (generally, any phone) without actually having to overwrite the phone's stock recovery? For example, by booting to stock recovery, flashing a zip file that will start up CWM/TWRP so you can use it temporarily, but stock recovery is still there and when you reboot the phone it will still be there? Sort of like using a Linux live cd.

Because I figure someone will probably ask, I'm asking about this because I have a phone that I want to get into that is protected by a pattern lock. I haven't examined it yet, but I am strongly expecting:

- No root
- No custom recovery
- No ADB debugging enabled

I know I can bypass the pattern lock from CWM/TWRP (rm /data/system/gesture.key)...but I would prefer to not have to do an overwrite of the recovery partition if it can be avoided. And whether or not this ends up being needed for this phone, it will be good to know for future reference.
Only recoveries like that are along the lines of SafeStrap, but is device specific and you already have to be rooted and booted into the OS to install that one. So, for what you need, no.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s
Now offering unlocking services - including many Sprint phone unlocks! PM for details!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / OnePlus One (64 GB)

Gromlakh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s View Post
Only recoveries like that are along the lines of SafeStrap, but is device specific and you already have to be rooted and booted into the OS to install that one. So, for what you need, no.
Actually, after randomly stumbling across some articles tonight...it appears that you can. At least on some phones, some of the time, with "fastboot boot recovery.img."

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2597788
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note II i317, AT&T
Current ROM: OmniROM
Kernel: Stock

My OS: Linux Mint 17 (Qiana)

Support Heimdall!
"Just use Odin" is not the right answer.

es0tericcha0s
Old
(Last edited by es0tericcha0s; 21st April 2014 at 12:02 PM.)
Thanks Meter 516

DONATE TO ME
Ah. I didn't think of that because usually you have to unlock the bootloader to do that, which on most phones also wipe them, void the warranty, and often leave some kind of marker that would be obvious. But it depends on the phone still. And it's not uncommon for those things to be disabled on updates too. Also, Samsungs don't have fastboot at all, so that wouldn't be an option for any of them.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s
Now offering unlocking services - including many Sprint phone unlocks! PM for details!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / OnePlus One (64 GB)