[Q] Randomly switches from 4g to 3g in strong 4g coverage

Search This thread

hawkeye680

Jun 3, 2011
Been poking around a bit trying to figure this out. In the last couple weeks my otherwise perfect phone has been randomly switching from 4g to 3g in normally strong 4g areas. My work iPhone 5 stays connected during these times. If I reboot or put it in airplane mode, it goes back to 4g with no issues. Strong signal too.

Got a new SIM on Saturday. No change. Did a factory reset on Saturday night. Still does it after that too.

The fact that it goes straight to 4g and stays after the reboot or airplane mode toggle makes me believe it isn't the phone. Even more so after the reset.

Then I found this- http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...to-3G-in-NYC-Verizon-owns-most-total-spectrum

Is anybody else having this issue? Is there a fix? I really don't want to send this otherwise perfect phone back for a warranty replacement refurb that will only give me the same issue. I also have a glass screen protector on there that I don't want to move or pay to replace.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.

lmike6453

Dec 17, 2010
Eagleville PA
Have you tried to disable Fast Dormancy to test? It should be doing this by design to save power when the radio has not been used after an X amount of seconds. Be warned that disabling Fast Dormancy may lead to battery drain if the cell tower's setting does not match that of the phone

hawkeye680

Jun 3, 2011
Have you tried to disable Fast Dormancy to test? It should be doing this by design to save power when the radio has not been used after an X amount of seconds. Be warned that disabling Fast Dormancy may lead to battery drain if the cell tower's setting does not match that of the phone

I will try that now and report back. Thank you.