Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,884 Members 52,569 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Light flow/LED problem

Tip us?
 
djr83
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 252
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default [Q] Light flow/LED problem

I just switched from a Nexus 4 to a HTC One M8 GPe. On the Nexus 4 I used Light flow very much with many colors and blink patterns to be able to identify what was happening without turning on the screen. Now when I have installed Light flow on my M8 it's only possible to choose from 4 colors or something and no blink patterns.

Is this possible to fix?

Great phone but this really bothers me...
 
Ruxin
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 33
Posts: 68
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr83 View Post
I just switched from a Nexus 4 to a HTC One M8 GPe. On the Nexus 4 I used Light flow very much with many colors and blink patterns to be able to identify what was happening without turning on the screen. Now when I have installed Light flow on my M8 it's only possible to choose from 4 colors or something and no blink patterns.

Is this possible to fix?

Great phone but this really bothers me...
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that it is due to the limitations of the LED on the M8 vs the N4. It's a different type of LED so there isn't an ability to tinker with it as much.

I miss that from my N4 too, but ultimately as soon as I saw/see a notification light I check the phone anyway.
 
djr83
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 252
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruxin View Post
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that it is due to the limitations of the LED on the M8 vs the N4. It's a different type of LED so there isn't an ability to tinker with it as much.

I miss that from my N4 too, but ultimately as soon as I saw/see a notification light I check the phone anyway.
I suspected this but before I got the M8 I didn't even realize that it would have anything else than the best LED. But yeah, 90% of the times It's just a message of some kind so I guess I'll survive. Still annoying though...
 
Andyw2100
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 53
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr83 View Post
I just switched from a Nexus 4 to a HTC One M8 GPe. On the Nexus 4 I used Light flow very much with many colors and blink patterns to be able to identify what was happening without turning on the screen. Now when I have installed Light flow on my M8 it's only possible to choose from 4 colors or something and no blink patterns.

Is this possible to fix?

Great phone but this really bothers me...
Not only is it not possible to fix because of the limitation of the LED that the other poster mentioned, but I'd be shocked if Light Flow gives you any color other than green and if it works consistently.

I had messed around with it some a couple of weeks ago, and gave up. I guess it's possible the Light Flow developer has tweaked it since then, but the version I was using was pretty useless on the M8. I don't fault the Light Flow developer though. I blame HTC on this one.
 
Kyocere
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 9
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyw2100 View Post
Not only is it not possible to fix because of the limitation of the LED that the other poster mentioned, but I'd be shocked if Light Flow gives you any color other than green and if it works consistently.

I had messed around with it some a couple of weeks ago, and gave up. I guess it's possible the Light Flow developer has tweaked it since then, but the version I was using was pretty useless on the M8. I don't fault the Light Flow developer though. I blame HTC on this one.
I was able to get green and amber to work. Some colors would just pick green or amber, others just wouldn't do anything.
 
djr83
Old
#6  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 252
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyw2100 View Post
Not only is it not possible to fix because of the limitation of the LED that the other poster mentioned, but I'd be shocked if Light Flow gives you any color other than green and if it works consistently.

I had messed around with it some a couple of weeks ago, and gave up. I guess it's possible the Light Flow developer has tweaked it since then, but the version I was using was pretty useless on the M8. I don't fault the Light Flow developer though. I blame HTC on this one.
Yeah, it seems to work pretty bad. Are there any other ways to control the LED like Light flow? Does it work better if you just let all the apps control it themselves? I guess not?
 
andrewnelson
Old
#7  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 23
Posts: 384
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dhaka
I was able to get green and amber to work.
 
djr83
Old
#8  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 252
Join Date: Mar 2010
Green, deep orange, magenta and cyan works for me, but green and cyan shows as green/yellow on the LED and deep orange and magenta shows as orange.
The Following User Says Thank You to djr83 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
djr83
Old
(Last edited by djr83; 16th April 2014 at 01:24 PM.)
#9  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 252
Join Date: Mar 2010
Messed around with the LED settings in Textra after I disabled Light flow and suddenly it actually started to blink. Great improvement!
Is it possible to get it to blink in Light flow too?

Edit: Yes, enable color mixing.
The Following User Says Thank You to djr83 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Andyw2100
Old
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 53
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr83 View Post
Green, deep orange, magenta and cyan works for me, but green and cyan shows as green/yellow on the LED and deep orange and magenta shows as orange.
This is excellent information! Thanks. I'm going to have to reinstall Lightflow and take another whack at it!

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by djr83 View Post
Messed around with the LED settings in Textra after I disabled Light flow and suddenly it actually started to blink. Great improvement!
Is it possible to get it to blink in Light flow too?

Edit: Yes, enable color mixing.
I use Textra too, so will have to try this as well. Thank you!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes