[Q] S3 soft bricked, won't flash, cant boot into recovery, can't flash. Any help?

OP AjieGFX

29th October 2013, 10:27 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
KC
Thanks Meter: 1

36 posts
Donate to Me
More
(T999, 4.1.2 Stock, 2 Binary counts now)

I've searched around and haven't had much luck with some help with my problem. Maybe someone would be nice enough to guide me to the right place?

Basically I had a root gone bad, and I get the:
"Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again."
Honestly I have not tried the kies route yet, had a bad experience in the past.

I either can't get the button timing right, or it just will Not allow me to boot into recovery mode.
I can get into download mode without Any trouble.

I've referred to this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1949687
Got the stock rom, but wont flash; keeps getting errors. I assumed I would just need that MD5. Would I need another file since I'm trying to hard reset and flash?

I would have given the "Galaxy S3 Toolkit" a try, but it won't eve get past the debugging part, and I can't change that at this time.

I would greatly appreciate all help.
29th October 2013, 10:37 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!
Thanks Meter: 6,400

9,142 posts
Donate to Me
More
Are you using Odin to flash the firmware? Does it recognize that the device is connected?
What is the output in Odin when it fails?

To boot recovery turn device off.
Hold home, volume up and power.
When you see blue text flash at top of screen, release power only. Continue holding HOME and volume up in till you see recovery start.

Sent from my SGH-T999N using Tapatalk
29th October 2013, 10:50 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
KC

36 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77

Are you using Odin to flash the firmware? Does it recognize that the device is connected?
What is the output in Odin when it fails?

To boot recovery turn device off.
Hold home, volume up and power.
When you see blue text flash at top of screen, release power only. Continue holding HOME and volume up in till you see recovery start.

Sent from my SGH-T999N using Tapatalk

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, I am using Odin. And it does recognize it.

Odin does this:
Quote:

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> T999UVDMD5_T999TMBDMD5_T999UVDMD5_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)

Since I closed it off and reopened it, now it gives me neither a pass or fail, but prior to trying to flash I would constantly say fail.

I havent seen any other color but red at the top on my screen, and that says "ODIN MODE" along with the error as stated in my first post when I try to get into recovery.
I've actually held the 3 buttons for up to 40 sec to no avail. The blue words never showed up. It would pop up with the "ODIN MODE" and the error, then the screen would go back to black and would never give any other indications until I let go of the power. Even then it went back to the error.
29th October 2013, 12:03 PM   |  #4  
Flag Dallas, TX
Thanks Meter: 14

102 posts
More
Maybe jtag can help or bad usb port.
29th October 2013, 07:58 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
KC

36 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomy1986.nt

Maybe jtag can help or bad usb port.

jag may have done the job...
But nah, all of my USBs are in good shape. It was strictly phone trouble..

I went ahead and tried out samsung kies. To my surprise, It allowed me to fix it up. It did a major hard reset and reloaded the current rom.
Lost everything, but no longer bricked.
31st October 2013, 01:36 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 7

80 posts
the usb jig
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjieGFX

I went ahead and tried out samsung kies. To my surprise, It allowed me to fix it up. It did a major hard reset and reloaded the current rom.

dont bother replacing the usb port i have the same exact problem cant get the pc to recongnize my phone ... replaced the usb port and yes i have the right drivers installed..
6th February 2014, 09:03 PM   |  #7  
Flag Brussel

25 posts
More
Quote:

My kies do not recognise my phone as connected. How can I use Kies to unbrick my phone? I have the same problem!
6th February 2014, 11:29 PM   |  #8  
OP Member
KC

36 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.ioannen

My kies do not recognise my phone as connected. How can I use Kies to unbrick my phone? I have the same problem!

Is your phone soft bricked or hard bricked? does it get power?

mine was soft bricked; i could still power it on, i just was Very limited on what I could do.

Is your kies updated?
7th February 2014, 11:28 PM   |  #9  
Flag Brussel

25 posts
More
Resolved
Quote:

Is your phone soft bricked or hard bricked? does it get power?

mine was soft bricked; i could still power it on, i just was Very limited on what I could do.

Is your kies updated?

First I thought it is soft bricked but reading on forums about the same symptoms I understood that the motherboard is finished so I need to change it.
I have tried many attempts with flashing with Odin but nothing. It enters download mode but not recovery.
Odin sees my phone but not kies. I do not think is an update problem.
But I bricked my phone with my wife's laptop and I have tried to restore it back on my own PC. Nothing worked but I read on forums that maybe the PC have a problem reading the phone through the USB port.
I thought is not my case as Odin recognized my phone BUT trying to flash again with Odin from my wife's laptop BINGO! It flashed it on the first attempt and boot normally in to my kit.kat Resurrection Remix Rom!
6th April 2014, 07:21 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:

(T999, 4.1.2 Stock, 2 Binary counts now)

I've searched around and haven't had much luck with some help with my problem. Maybe someone would be nice enough to guide me to the right place?

Basically I had a root gone bad, and I get the:
"Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again."
Honestly I have not tried the kies route yet, had a bad experience in the past.

I either can't get the button timing right, or it just will Not allow me to boot into recovery mode.
I can get into download mode without Any trouble.

I've referred to this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1949687
Got the stock rom, but wont flash; keeps getting errors. I assumed I would just need that MD5. Would I need another file since I'm trying to hard reset and flash?

I would have given the "Galaxy S3 Toolkit" a try, but it won't eve get past the debugging part, and I can't change that at this time.

I would greatly appreciate all help.

Happen to me as well. All you need to do in flash a custom recovery through Odin, in download mode, like TWRP or clocksWord mod. Once thats done install any rom you want through the recovery, put the rom you want in an external storage like a sd card.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
assist, flash, gs3, recovery, stock
Previous Thread Next Thread