Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,638 Members 54,171 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

At wits end (Possible brick?)

Tip us?
 
bardock123
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 10
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default At wits end (Possible brick?)

So, I was benchmarking various kernels today, and my phone decided that it doesn't want to function anymore. To be more specific, I went from Faux's kernel, to Lean kernel, and back to Faux; and after returning to Faux, I've gotten nothing but "SystemUI has stopped responding". Since this happened I've wiped both cache and dalvik cache, re-flashed stock firmware via Odin, and wiped my internal memory--all to no avail. If anyone has any advice regarding this matter, it'd be greatly appreciated.
 
noobtoob
Old
#2  
noobtoob's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 429
Posts: 817
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardock123 View Post
So, I was benchmarking various kernels today, and my phone decided that it doesn't want to function anymore. To be more specific, I went from Faux's kernel, to Lean kernel, and back to Faux; and after returning to Faux, I've gotten nothing but "SystemUI has stopped responding". Since this happened I've wiped both cache and dalvik cache, re-flashed stock firmware via Odin, and wiped my internal memory--all to no avail. If anyone has any advice regarding this matter, it'd be greatly appreciated.
So what happens now? Does it boot at all? Boot-looping? When plugged into computer is it recognized? Were you on 4.3 or 4.4? We need some more information before everyone starts chiming in.
 
bardock123
Old
(Last edited by bardock123; 28th April 2014 at 06:24 PM.)
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 10
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtoob View Post
So what happens now? Does it boot at all? Boot-looping? When plugged into computer is it recognized? Were you on 4.3 or 4.4? We need some more information before everyone starts chiming in.
It boots, but every rom that I try installing an alternate rom, it either freezes after a few minutes, or it doesn't boot at all. I can still get into download mode, so ADB/Odin/recovery isn't ruled out. I'm still on the 4.3 bootloader.
 
noobtoob
Old
#4  
noobtoob's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 429
Posts: 817
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Alright. What recovery are you running?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
 
bardock123
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 10
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtoob View Post
Alright. What recovery are you running?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
TWRP
 
noobtoob
Old
#6  
noobtoob's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 429
Posts: 817
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Sorry, got called away from my desk.

What version of Odin are you using? I know you stated you wiped cache and internal storage. Just to rule everything else out right now, please try and follow my heimdall guide. Since you are on 4.3 it will still work. Perform both the recovery and stock restore guide. It seems to have done a lot of people a solid when Odin wouldn't wipe it properly. In my instructions (in the recovery zip) it says for best results to wipe things in a particular order. Try out the heimdall recovery zip and then the full restore. Heimdall instructions are in their own files, but basically you use zadig.exe that they provide to replace the usb driver. After all is said and done, let me know what happens. You may have a corrupt portion of the emmc that doesn't provide i/o very well any longer.
 
bardock123
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 10
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtoob View Post
Sorry, got called away from my desk.

What version of Odin are you using? I know you stated you wiped cache and internal storage. Just to rule everything else out right now, please try and follow my heimdall guide. Since you are on 4.3 it will still work. Perform both the recovery and stock restore guide. It seems to have done a lot of people a solid when Odin wouldn't wipe it properly. In my instructions (in the recovery zip) it says for best results to wipe things in a particular order. Try out the heimdall recovery zip and then the full restore. Heimdall instructions are in their own files, but basically you use zadig.exe that they provide to replace the usb driver. After all is said and done, let me know what happens. You may have a corrupt portion of the emmc that doesn't provide i/o very well any longer.
That did the trick. Thanks again for the help!
The Following User Says Thank You to bardock123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
noobtoob
Old
#8  
noobtoob's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 429
Posts: 817
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardock123 View Post
That did the trick. Thanks again for the help!
Awesome. That is why I like heimdall. Now if only i could get it to work on the 4.4 bootloader...😕

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

But First, Let Me Take a #Selfie

“Today while browsing XDA,I’m going tocheck to seeif my favorite ROM has been updated–but … more

Easily Combine Text and Manage Your Android Clipboard with StuffMerge

Android clipboard management has always been impractical without the … more

Pale Moon Browser Ported to Android

Having a wide choice of third party applications is one of the most beautiful things that Android has to … more