Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,212 Members 42,467 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

USB 3.0 Charging Advantages

Tip us?

Undead46
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
Question USB 3.0 Charging Advantages

So I've read an article that mentioned USB 3.0 Micro-B faster charging capabilities, does anyone know any validity to this?
I know it increases transfer speeds, but I was unaware if it actually charged faster too.

And if it's true, does anyone have any car charger recommendations to support this feature?
I saw this, let me know what your thoughts are: http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8M864/

Saturny
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Why pay $30 when you can get the same (or ever better) results with a good usb 3.0 cable and a 2.1 or Anker's 4.8A usb car charger for less?
Current Phone: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 16gb White Frost (GNF1 Sickness Style V3 w/ktoonsez kernel 7/12)-4.4.2.
Tablet: Nexus 7 2nd Gen 32GB (Pac-Man 8/25 Nightly w/ElementalX 2.14)-4.4.4.
Apple Ipod Touch: 4th Gen-6.1.3.

Recovery- TWRP 2.7.1.

Devices Of Old:
Samsung Galaxy S III 16GB Pebble Blue (Dandroid 4.12)-4.1.2-Gave to mom.
Nexus 7 2012 16GB (Pac-Man 8/25 Nightly)-4.4.4-Gave to mom.

WillTheGreat
Old
Thanks Meter 12
It's true that USB 3.0 allows for higher current but this only applies when you're connecting a USB3.0 device to a USB 3.0 host like a PC. A charger isn't a host device, they work by shorting data pins. So chargers don't follow USB specifications at all.

Your limitation here is voltage and amperage. Because chargers generally work by shorting the data pins your phone will draw as much power as it can handle and as long as there are no limitations on your charger. So it's not likely that you will be able to max out a 4.8amp charger, actually it's not likely you'll be able to max out a 2.1 amp charger either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillTheGreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

quantumalpha
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I find it interesting that the stock Samsung charger is NOT a USB3.0 charger. If you look at the USB port on the charger, it doesn't have the 3.0 pins...

Infoport
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Thumbs up USB 3.0 cable DOES come with some S5's

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumalpha View Post
I find it interesting that the stock Samsung charger is NOT a USB3.0 charger. If you look at the USB port on the charger, it doesn't have the 3.0 pins...
Some people seem to have not been given a USB 3.0 charger, but others have reported that one was included.
I was given a 3.0 cable with mine in the box. It is a white cable and is labeled "Samsung" on the plug.

FWIW, the new 3.0 plkug seems to hold more tightly than the micro-B 2.0 plugs in previous phones.

Infoport

92drls
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoport View Post
Some people seem to have not been given a USB 3.0 charger, but others have reported that one was included.
I was given a 3.0 cable with mine in the box. It is a white cable and is labeled "Samsung" on the plug.

FWIW, the new 3.0 plkug seems to hold more tightly than the micro-B 2.0 plugs in previous phones.

Infoport
Maybe I missed something, were there some people that got 2 seperate cords or just the one white, Samsung labeled cord?
Phone: T-Mo Galaxy S5
Modem UVU1BNG4
ROM: Omega V 8
Kernel Omega stock
Recovery: Philz Touch

How's my driving? Hitting thanks means a lot!

Nokia 8801, G1, Mytouch 3g, HD2, Nexus One, G2, Mytouch 4g, G2X, Sensation, Galaxy S3, S4, S5...

Undead46
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
Then what's the best charger to get for DC plug that you would recommend? Just look for something with the highest amps?

Infoport
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Default Just the cord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92drls View Post
Maybe I missed something, were there some people that got 2 seperate cords or just the one white, Samsung labeled cord?
I was only given the one cord. Also, I don't believe that I got a charging block.

dwardo1077
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Only received a USB 2 standard lead with mine.

Stiflerlv
Old
Thanks Meter 19
USB 3.0 standart is meant for PCs/Macs/Devices. Original USB 2.0 port on PC would output only 0.5A. Default wall chargers would output 1A. Car chargers are different, but my 2A charger didnt charge my old phone any faster.

With USB 3.0, PCs should give out 2A (if Im correct) meaning u will charge 4x faster on USB 3.0 port.
With wallchargers its different. Cable itself doesnt have the limit (atleast not noticable one), meaning on 2A wall charger, and stock USB 2.0 cable, which comes with galaxy S5, you should charge with 2A.

Each device have power protection aswell, thats why older phones can use max to 1A to protect itself, while tablets needed 2A charger. I suspect galaxy S5 is made to charge with 2A aswell, aswell it holds up backward compability with 1A.
Nokia 6232
HTC Tattoo
HTC One S Black
Samsung Galaxy S5