OP Undead46

20th April 2014, 12:24 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 27

169 posts
Donate to Me
More
So I've read an article that mentioned USB 3.0 Micro-B faster charging capabilities, does anyone know any validity to this?
I know it increases transfer speeds, but I was unaware if it actually charged faster too.

And if it's true, does anyone have any car charger recommendations to support this feature?
I saw this, let me know what your thoughts are: http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8M864/
20th April 2014, 06:37 AM   |  #2  
Flag Decatur, Ga
Thanks Meter: 55

331 posts
More
Why pay $30 when you can get the same (or ever better) results with a good usb 3.0 cable and a 2.1 or Anker's 4.8A usb car charger for less?
20th April 2014, 07:24 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 12

83 posts
It's true that USB 3.0 allows for higher current but this only applies when you're connecting a USB3.0 device to a USB 3.0 host like a PC. A charger isn't a host device, they work by shorting data pins. So chargers don't follow USB specifications at all.

Your limitation here is voltage and amperage. Because chargers generally work by shorting the data pins your phone will draw as much power as it can handle and as long as there are no limitations on your charger. So it's not likely that you will be able to max out a 4.8amp charger, actually it's not likely you'll be able to max out a 2.1 amp charger either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillTheGreat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2014, 03:15 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 14

34 posts
More
I find it interesting that the stock Samsung charger is NOT a USB3.0 charger. If you look at the USB port on the charger, it doesn't have the 3.0 pins...
21st April 2014, 03:58 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 7

77 posts
More
Thumbs up USB 3.0 cable DOES come with some S5's
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumalpha

I find it interesting that the stock Samsung charger is NOT a USB3.0 charger. If you look at the USB port on the charger, it doesn't have the 3.0 pins...

Some people seem to have not been given a USB 3.0 charger, but others have reported that one was included.
I was given a 3.0 cable with mine in the box. It is a white cable and is labeled "Samsung" on the plug.

FWIW, the new 3.0 plkug seems to hold more tightly than the micro-B 2.0 plugs in previous phones.

Infoport
21st April 2014, 09:52 PM   |  #6  
Behind you
Thanks Meter: 106

617 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoport

Some people seem to have not been given a USB 3.0 charger, but others have reported that one was included.
I was given a 3.0 cable with mine in the box. It is a white cable and is labeled "Samsung" on the plug.

FWIW, the new 3.0 plkug seems to hold more tightly than the micro-B 2.0 plugs in previous phones.

Infoport

Maybe I missed something, were there some people that got 2 seperate cords or just the one white, Samsung labeled cord?
22nd April 2014, 03:32 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 27

169 posts
Donate to Me
More
Then what's the best charger to get for DC plug that you would recommend? Just look for something with the highest amps?
22nd April 2014, 02:50 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 7

77 posts
More
Just the cord
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92drls

Maybe I missed something, were there some people that got 2 seperate cords or just the one white, Samsung labeled cord?

I was only given the one cord. Also, I don't believe that I got a charging block.
25th April 2014, 11:54 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 6

21 posts
Only received a USB 2 standard lead with mine.
26th April 2014, 09:10 AM   |  #10  
Flag Ogre
Thanks Meter: 19

237 posts
More
USB 3.0 standart is meant for PCs/Macs/Devices. Original USB 2.0 port on PC would output only 0.5A. Default wall chargers would output 1A. Car chargers are different, but my 2A charger didnt charge my old phone any faster.

With USB 3.0, PCs should give out 2A (if Im correct) meaning u will charge 4x faster on USB 3.0 port.
With wallchargers its different. Cable itself doesnt have the limit (atleast not noticable one), meaning on 2A wall charger, and stock USB 2.0 cable, which comes with galaxy S5, you should charge with 2A.

Each device have power protection aswell, thats why older phones can use max to 1A to protect itself, while tablets needed 2A charger. I suspect galaxy S5 is made to charge with 2A aswell, aswell it holds up backward compability with 1A.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread