FORUMS

Samsung Galaxy Alpha (SM-G850) Gets Android 5.0

An Android 5.0 Lollipop update is finally available to download for the Samsung Galaxy … more

Do You Use 4:3 or 16:9 in the Camera App?

Every person has their own method of taking the best photos on their devices, but which aspect … more

LG G4 XDA Forum Opened

LG’s latest & greatest is just a few hours away from launching, and with so many power users that are … more

Android Wear Close to Running on Samsung Gear 2

Android is an OS that can sometimes be ported to run on devices not designed to … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

HTCDev Bootloader Unlock

22nd April 2014, 12:18 AM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Malvern
Thanks Meter: 48
 
Donate to Me
More
I decided to take a leap of faith and tried to unlock my bootloader using the HTCDev site and it worked. Would this make Firewater pointless?
The Following User Says Thank You to chriskader For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
22nd April 2014, 12:31 AM |#2  
krazie1's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 7,910
 
Donate to Me
More
Screenshots or any proof

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
22nd April 2014, 12:33 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Malvern
Thanks Meter: 48
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazie1

Screenshots or any proof

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Not sure what proof you want. I can give you a screenshot of the email I got from HTC with my unlock key in it.
22nd April 2014, 12:43 AM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 169
 
More
Is there really any reason to use HTCDev since firewater can do it?
22nd April 2014, 12:45 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Malvern
Thanks Meter: 48
 
Donate to Me
More
It just seems like it would make sense to unlock it using official means if it is an option. Not saying that Firewater will cause issues but workarounds can pose risks that could be avoided by using tools provided by HTC itself.
22nd April 2014, 01:04 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 177
 
More
There is no reason to use the official HTC tool at all. I'm surprised it even works. Early tests by other users (incl myself) showed our devices being blocked on the site. Are you sure you have a Verizon HTC M8 as opposed to one for another carrier?

Anyway, with firewater, you shouldn't use it at all.
First, it voids your warranty. But most importantly of all, it does not give you S-off. Only bootloader unlock.

Firewater gives you both S-off and unlocked bootloader as well. There also have been no reports of any issues due to firewater. All it does is give you S-off. There are some legit dev phones out there that also have S-off; firewater just makes your phone equal to those dev ones.
22nd April 2014, 01:08 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Malvern
Thanks Meter: 48
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiDev

There is no reason to use the official HTC tool at all. I'm surprised it even works. Early tests by other users (incl myself) showed our devices being blocked on the site. Are you sure you have a Verizon HTC M8 as opposed to one for another carrier?

Anyway, with firewater, you shouldn't use it at all.
First, it voids your warranty. But most importantly of all, it does not give you S-off. Only bootloader unlock.

Firewater gives you both S-off and unlocked bootloader as well. There also have been no reports of any issues due to firewater. All it does is give you S-off. There are some legit dev phones out there that also have S-off; firewater just makes your phone equal to those dev ones.

I want to make it clear that at no point was I saying that Firewater caused issues. I simply stated that any hack or unofficial tool COULD cause issues.

As for S-Off, what is the point when you have an unlocked bootloader?
22nd April 2014, 02:09 AM |#8  
Senior Member
Flag Casper
Thanks Meter: 115
 
Donate to Me
More
I kinda sorta don't believe you. Oo Is yours Verizon?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium HD app
22nd April 2014, 02:20 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Malvern
Thanks Meter: 48
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief298

I kinda sorta don't believe you. Oo Is yours Verizon?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium HD app

Yes its Verizon. Simply go to the HTCDev site and submit your OEM device ID. You will get an email with your unlock blob. I applied my to unlock but you do not HAVE to apply yours.
22nd April 2014, 02:22 AM |#10  
sofla2's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Naples, FL
Thanks Meter: 124
 
More
Interesting. I took my daughter's M8 and tried to unlock at HTCDev and still a no go here.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Verizon One (M8) Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank