Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,949 Members 43,924 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO] write to the external SD card (must be rooted)

Tip us?

evilbeef54
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Default [HOW TO] write to the external SD card (must be rooted)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2715657

OK so as you have noticed kit kat does NOT allow third party apps to write to the SD card, this is stupid, but lucky for us we have a fix IF you are rooted

we have 2 solutions

1) using root explorer or something similar go to

Quote:
/system/etc/permissions/platform.xml
and enter the permission that i have circled in red below (see attached) then it will work. Enter it so it looks EXACTALLY like it does below

2) the other option that MAY work is to go to the play store and download SDFix, that does the same thing (however myself and a few others are reporting that it isnt working as it is written)

big thanks to Mr Sam Epic for showing the fix, which came from Unknown Force in a SGS4 forum

****edit 4/19

had a few reports of SDFix not working, it didnt for me, i thought it was just a random error, what i did to fix it was to go into platform.xml and manually edit the permission so it looks exactally like the image below, i put in the extra return after the permission, there is not a logical reason why this fixed it, but it did
Sprint Rooted Mogul Evo Evo3d GS3 GS4 GS5 (Sorry Sprint 13 years is enough)
VERIZON GS5

IF SOMEONE'S POST HELPS YOU PLEASE HIT THE THANKS BUTTON

bradthemarsh
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Also if you're going the non-rooted approach, although not necessarily preferred, it does work to just copy stuff with the stock my files app, as it is a system app rather than third party.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to bradthemarsh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

simacca
Old
Thanks Meter 149
I'm having to copy my movie and music files to sdcard via the my files app. The app makers need to update so we can automatically save to sd.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

evilbeef54
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by simacca View Post
I'm having to copy my movie and music files to sdcard via the my files app. The app makers need to update so we can automatically save to sd.

If you are rooted and do the fix I listed above and then reboot you should be able to change the directory it saves to, if not uninstall and reinstall the app and all should be fine
Sprint Rooted Mogul Evo Evo3d GS3 GS4 GS5 (Sorry Sprint 13 years is enough)
VERIZON GS5

IF SOMEONE'S POST HELPS YOU PLEASE HIT THE THANKS BUTTON
The Following User Says Thank You to evilbeef54 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

simacca
Old
Thanks Meter 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbeef54 View Post
If you are rooted and do the fix I listed above and then reboot you should be able to change the directory it saves to, if not uninstall and reinstall the app and all should be fine
Thanks, but will only root when there is a way that doesn't invalidate warranty.

chris170569
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Use an app called File expert. This app has been updated and can read/write to external xd card without root.
Phone:Samsung Galaxy S, S3, S5
Model No: GT-I9300, 900F