Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more

Lockdown Pro 2 Brings Material Design and Media Support

Back in March of this year, we took a look at a rather innovated security application … more
Post Reply

Massive battery drain issue, already...

OP dawest

10th April 2014, 09:43 PM   |  #1  
dawest's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 31
 
149 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
After two days with my S5, I seem to not have found a way to get over a ridiculous battery drain. I'm only getting around 6 hours of use with ~2hr screen on. (Right now it's at 13% battery after 5hr 42min with 2hr 9min screen on). From what I can tell the primary culprit, as usual, is "Android System" which is using 24% of the battery as of right now. Thanks to KitKat, I can't use WLD to figure out what the drain is. Has anybody else had this issue?

I've tried calibrating the battery (drain to 0%, turn off, charge to full, etc), force stopping clear cache and data on Google Play Services/Play Store/Google+, turning off WiFi, location, etc... nothing seems to work.

Further, no matter how much I clear/end all apps and whether or not I use a downloaded app or the built in task manager, I cannot for the life of me get the RAM usage to go anywhere below 1.32Gb.

Note: Yes, I accidentally posted this in the General forum first, been a long day and clicked the wrong one, I've already requested that the admins delete the other post.

UPDATE: I think I might have narrowed it down to "AntService" under Android System, but I have no idea how to fix that...
Last edited by dawest; 11th April 2014 at 03:12 AM.
11th April 2014, 05:04 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
193 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawest

After two days with my S5, I seem to not have found a way to get over a ridiculous battery drain. I'm only getting around 6 hours of use with ~2hr screen on. (Right now it's at 13% battery after 5hr 42min with 2hr 9min screen on). From what I can tell the primary culprit, as usual, is "Android System" which is using 24% of the battery as of right now. Thanks to KitKat, I can't use WLD to figure out what the drain is. Has anybody else had this issue?

I've tried calibrating the battery (drain to 0%, turn off, charge to full, etc), force stopping clear cache and data on Google Play Services/Play Store/Google+, turning off WiFi, location, etc... nothing seems to work.

Further, no matter how much I clear/end all apps and whether or not I use a downloaded app or the built in task manager, I cannot for the life of me get the RAM usage to go anywhere below 1.32Gb.

Note: Yes, I accidentally posted this in the General forum first, been a long day and clicked the wrong one, I've already requested that the admins delete the other post.

UPDATE: I think I might have narrowed it down to "AntService" under Android System, but I have no idea how to fix that...

I have had mine for only a day and YES, I notice a quick drain on the battery. No clue why
11th April 2014, 05:12 PM   |  #3  
_eroz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Brookfield, IL
Thanks Meter: 116
 
462 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
That's weird....I'm at 46% right now, 14hours 42min with 2hours 22min of screen time. I also don't have AntService. I did take the update yesterday it was for System Stabilization, I wonder if that has something to do with it as well.
11th April 2014, 05:22 PM   |  #4  
dawest's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 31
 
149 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _eroz

That's weird....I'm at 46% right now, 14hours 42min with 2hours 22min of screen time. I also don't have AntService. I did take the update yesterday it was for System Stabilization, I wonder if that has something to do with it as well.

I had taken the update too. I did a factory reset, uninstalled Lark (figured maybe it was hung looking for ANT+ devices), and did another deep charge/calibration. Unplugging now, we'll see.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
12th April 2014, 01:50 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 36
 
139 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawest

I had taken the update too. I did a factory reset, uninstalled Lark (figured maybe it was hung looking for ANT+ devices), and did another deep charge/calibration. Unplugging now, we'll see.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Let us know what you find. I think it's probably something you installed though and not the phone. Mine lasted 3-4 hours on most of the time while I was playing with it/taking photos at full brightness from 60%. I updated it as well.
12th April 2014, 03:50 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 64
 
140 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Full 5 hours 10 minutes of Screen Time and 17 hours turned on today, this playing and still setting stuff as I got it yesterday. My S4 before Kit Kat was giving me constantly 4 hours of screen time on same daily usage, with normal battery stats showing Screen wit 50% of usage and the other 50 well spread, after Kit Kat at most 3 hours, and the same issue with Android System been equal or some times even greater on usage than the screen.

But, so far I'm happy because even when I used it today a lot different than I use it in a normal day it still managed to gave me over 5 hours of screen time, that's great for me.
12th April 2014, 06:51 AM   |  #7  
dawest's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 31
 
149 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrixLemon

Let us know what you find. I think it's probably something you installed though and not the phone. Mine lasted 3-4 hours on most of the time while I was playing with it/taking photos at full brightness from 60%. I updated it as well.

Ugh, jealous. I'm just uninstalled about everything now. I'll let it charge overnight and we'll see.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
12th April 2014, 01:54 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
663 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
I had excellent battery until I took the update

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
12th April 2014, 02:09 PM   |  #9  
Metalshadowx2's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Scarborough
Thanks Meter: 33
 
363 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by km8j

I had excellent battery until I took the update

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

yeah but you had no choice. The update installed by itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Metalshadowx2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th April 2014, 07:20 AM   |  #10  
cybok0's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 34
 
313 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
I have good battery life with update.





Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in T-Mobile Galaxy S 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank