Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,696 Members 37,489 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Massive battery drain issue, already...

Tip us?

dawest
Old
(Last edited by dawest; 11th April 2014 at 03:12 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Default Massive battery drain issue, already...

After two days with my S5, I seem to not have found a way to get over a ridiculous battery drain. I'm only getting around 6 hours of use with ~2hr screen on. (Right now it's at 13% battery after 5hr 42min with 2hr 9min screen on). From what I can tell the primary culprit, as usual, is "Android System" which is using 24% of the battery as of right now. Thanks to KitKat, I can't use WLD to figure out what the drain is. Has anybody else had this issue?

I've tried calibrating the battery (drain to 0%, turn off, charge to full, etc), force stopping clear cache and data on Google Play Services/Play Store/Google+, turning off WiFi, location, etc... nothing seems to work.

Further, no matter how much I clear/end all apps and whether or not I use a downloaded app or the built in task manager, I cannot for the life of me get the RAM usage to go anywhere below 1.32Gb.

Note: Yes, I accidentally posted this in the General forum first, been a long day and clicked the wrong one, I've already requested that the admins delete the other post.

UPDATE: I think I might have narrowed it down to "AntService" under Android System, but I have no idea how to fix that...

njdevils28
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawest View Post
After two days with my S5, I seem to not have found a way to get over a ridiculous battery drain. I'm only getting around 6 hours of use with ~2hr screen on. (Right now it's at 13% battery after 5hr 42min with 2hr 9min screen on). From what I can tell the primary culprit, as usual, is "Android System" which is using 24% of the battery as of right now. Thanks to KitKat, I can't use WLD to figure out what the drain is. Has anybody else had this issue?

I've tried calibrating the battery (drain to 0%, turn off, charge to full, etc), force stopping clear cache and data on Google Play Services/Play Store/Google+, turning off WiFi, location, etc... nothing seems to work.

Further, no matter how much I clear/end all apps and whether or not I use a downloaded app or the built in task manager, I cannot for the life of me get the RAM usage to go anywhere below 1.32Gb.

Note: Yes, I accidentally posted this in the General forum first, been a long day and clicked the wrong one, I've already requested that the admins delete the other post.

UPDATE: I think I might have narrowed it down to "AntService" under Android System, but I have no idea how to fix that...
I have had mine for only a day and YES, I notice a quick drain on the battery. No clue why

_eroz
Old
Thanks Meter 106
That's weird....I'm at 46% right now, 14hours 42min with 2hours 22min of screen time. I also don't have AntService. I did take the update yesterday it was for System Stabilization, I wonder if that has something to do with it as well.

dawest
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by _eroz View Post
That's weird....I'm at 46% right now, 14hours 42min with 2hours 22min of screen time. I also don't have AntService. I did take the update yesterday it was for System Stabilization, I wonder if that has something to do with it as well.
I had taken the update too. I did a factory reset, uninstalled Lark (figured maybe it was hung looking for ANT+ devices), and did another deep charge/calibration. Unplugging now, we'll see.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

CitrixLemon
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawest View Post
I had taken the update too. I did a factory reset, uninstalled Lark (figured maybe it was hung looking for ANT+ devices), and did another deep charge/calibration. Unplugging now, we'll see.

Let us know what you find. I think it's probably something you installed though and not the phone. Mine lasted 3-4 hours on most of the time while I was playing with it/taking photos at full brightness from 60%. I updated it as well.

erasat
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Full 5 hours 10 minutes of Screen Time and 17 hours turned on today, this playing and still setting stuff as I got it yesterday. My S4 before Kit Kat was giving me constantly 4 hours of screen time on same daily usage, with normal battery stats showing Screen wit 50% of usage and the other 50 well spread, after Kit Kat at most 3 hours, and the same issue with Android System been equal or some times even greater on usage than the screen.

But, so far I'm happy because even when I used it today a lot different than I use it in a normal day it still managed to gave me over 5 hours of screen time, that's great for me.

dawest
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrixLemon View Post
Let us know what you find. I think it's probably something you installed though and not the phone. Mine lasted 3-4 hours on most of the time while I was playing with it/taking photos at full brightness from 60%. I updated it as well.
Ugh, jealous. I'm just uninstalled about everything now. I'll let it charge overnight and we'll see.

km8j
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I had excellent battery until I took the update

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Metalshadowx2
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by km8j View Post
I had excellent battery until I took the update

yeah but you had no choice. The update installed by itself.

Device: Galaxy S5 Canadian Variant
Alliance Rom
The Following User Says Thank You to Metalshadowx2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cybok0
Old
Thanks Meter 33
I have good battery life with update.

Samsung Galaxy S3
Rom:Leak 4.3