Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,489 Members 45,587 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW-TO]Upgrade to 4.4.2 VRUFNC5 and keep root (for NC2 and MK2 devices) [05/13/2014]

Tip us?

Surge1223
Old
(Last edited by Surge1223; 21st May 2014 at 11:20 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3360

DONATE TO ME
Default [HOW-TO]Upgrade to 4.4.2 VRUFNC5 and keep root (for NC2 and MK2 devices) [05/13/2014]

Upgrade to VRUFNC5 and keep root from NC2/MK2

I'm not responsible for anything negative that may come from using this method, and it should be treated as a WIP

Directions

1. Download Upgrade_I545VRUFNC5_fromNC2_with_Root.zip,, and Odin3-v3.09.zip

2. Download I545VRUFNC5-Stock-Root-Deodex.zip or I545VRUFNC5-Stock-Root-Odex.zip and put it on your external sdcard make sure you have the AT&T Safestrap 3.72 for KK installed (get it here) also download the SuperSu zip from here and put in on your External SD Card as well just in case.

3. Reboot into Safestrap and delete all rom slots (except stock) and wipe data, cache, system, and dalvik-cache via SS's wipe menu

4. Install I545VRUFNC5-Stock-Root-Deodex.zip or I545VRUFNC5-Stock-Root-Odex.zip on the stock slot and install the SuperSu zip after (optional-just incase) Once the install completes don't reboot, use SS's reboot menu and reboot into Download mode

5. Extract the contents of Upgrade_I545VRUFNC5_fromNC2_with_Root.zip into a folder of your choice then launch Odin 3.09

6. In "AP" input AP_VZW_I545VRUFNC5_I545VZWFNC5_1151670_REV06_user_ low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 and in "CP" input CP_VZW_I545VRUFNC5_I545VZWFNC5_1151670_REV06_user_ low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 then click start. Let it reboot and you should be done!
---

-Additional notes:
*If it still doesnt boot up then try flashing the CSC_VZW_I545VRUFNC5_I545VZWFNC5_1151670_REV06_user _low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 in Odin under the "CSC" slot, I incuded this file in the zip just incase.

I545VRUFNC5-Stock-Root-Deodex.zip
[SIZE=4] MD5: c9ac7a4e62679693f43ac0c150761269

[FONT=Arial]Features:
-rooted
-busybox
-deodex
-init.d
-setup wizard now completes, no force closes at boot, fixed majority of reported issues
-Knox is present (SuperSu apk will ask you to disable it when launched)
-write to external sd is enabled
-tethering is enabled
-no apks have been deleted
-no aroma installer
-extended reboot menu added
- NC5-patch1.zip- This patch will add toggles, remove the init.d toggle script so that you can save your own customized order of toggles and will fix the lock screen security types issue.

I545VRUFNC5-Stock-Root-Odex.zip
[SIZE=4] MD5: 6a4013e4e15acfc9b45e16ad7aac6ddf

[FONT=Arial]Features:
-rooted
-busybox
-odex
-Knox is present (SuperSu apk will ask you to disable it when launched)
-write to external sd is NOT enabled
-tethering is NOT enabled
-no alterations have been made aside from root and busybox being added
-no aroma installer
-NC5-patch1.zip- This patch will add toggles, remove the init.d toggle script so that you can save your own customized order of toggles and will fix the lock screen security types issue.
-zip to add tethering here
-zip to add write to external sd fix here

Video of the process for MK2 to NC2 (note you don't have to flash the BL tar) video was made courtesy of @Tomsgt
VIDEO

Video - Verizon Galaxy S4**KitKat (NC5) Upgrade**With Root&Tethering thanks to @Scottchy014

How to Downgrade back to 4.2 MK2

I want to address somethings...im uploaded a new version of this zip
Downgrade_I545VRUEMK2_I545VZWEMK2_1937946_REV06_us er_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.zip
that should get rid of the inital fail error and hopefully prevent some from getting the status 7 error

If your phone says and/or gives the "Kies emergency firmware" message, that doesn't mean you've bricked, it just means a flash didnt succeed all the the way through. Most of the time this is at the cache step. You might also get the "failed to mount /preload error". None of this means you're bricked. most of the time you can recover by following these steps in this order:

1. Flash I545VRUEMK2_Downgrade.tar.md5 --> Should no longer fail at cache; I accidentally included it in the first tar I uploaded but when i noticed the error I didn't think to much of it because i knew that step 3 would take care of it. Anyways no longer an issue.

2. Then reboot into download mode immediately after step one and flash flash I545VRUEMK2_System.tar.md5 --> should have no errors here, if you do try again. At this point, the phone should boot back into MK2, if it doesn't, then proceed to reboot into normal recovery and wipe data/factory reset. Next boot into download mode and go on to step 3.

3. Finally flash the I545VRUEMK2_cache.tar.md5 --> as long as you didn't deviate from the steps that I just listed then this should pass in Odin. The device should not give the /preload error after this step. If you do get an error then factory data reset in recovery then flash the zip from step 1 followed by the zip from this step (step 3) again , that is flash the cache tar.md5 again.

4. I was going to type something about Wifi...but this issue drives me crazy...(...its not a issue, learn adb) You need to use bypasslkm. Flash the NC2 hlos for sound to work and use bypasslkm for wifi

Code:
su
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod 755 bypasslkm
./bypasslkm
cd /system/lib/modules
rmmod dhd.ko
insmod dhd.ko

Quote:
The status 7 failed to mount /preload error and why it happens:

Lets take a minute to go over why this happens and what it means. First what is /preload anyways? Well lets take a look at how it gets mounted, consider mount points below:

Quote:
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system", "/system");

mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/hidden", "/preload");
We can infer from the point arguements that /preload is the mount point for the "hidden" partition. Well then what is this "hidden" partition then you ask? Well hidden contains some useless crap Samsung uses to verify integrity of the system partition when in recovery

So the idea is to wipe data/factory reset in recovery followed by making sure to flash hidden.img.ext4 prior to cache.img.ext4. I think my inclusion of cache.img.ext4 on accident in the first tar is the root of the cause so ive uploaded a new one that doesnt contain it so it wont fail at step 1.

So essentially you cant flash a a full-wipe or no-wipe Odin tar to go back. You have to use a custom made Odin tar. Also for people getting the status 7 error where /preload fails to mount after flashing cache the solution is to boot into stock recovery and factory data reset followed by flashing hidden.img.ext4 via Odin or Heimdall.

Credits:
@Hashcode
@bajasur
@BeansTown106
@jeboo
@ted77usa
@muniz_ri
@rebel1699
@Maribou
@sextape
@Chainfire
@ryanbg
@jrkruse
@sbreen94

Changelog:

05/13/2014 - added odex stock root rom
The Following 127 Users Say Thank You to Surge1223 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

leandrae400
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks. .. already downloaded all the files. . Will try in the morning. ..When I wake up. . And thanks again

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

taz1458
Old
Thanks Meter 72

DONATE TO ME
Will give this a whirl sometime after I get home at 3. Double Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda premium
Samsung Galaxy S4 - Verizon - Used the Unlimited Data Save trick. Screw you Money Hungry Fools.

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1237

DONATE TO ME
My next phone will be whatever phone Surge goes with lol you're awesome at this stuff good work man

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RyaNov1333
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Awesome stuff man, thanks! Quick question, will this prevent me from updating to the final release, or will I be able to Odin to it?

Surge1223
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3360

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyaNov1333 View Post
Awesome stuff man, thanks! Quick question, will this prevent me from updating to the final release, or will I be able to Odin to it?
Even though the leak says "noship", from looking at the files this seems like it might actually turn out to be the OTA. Even if its not, you'll still be able to take the OTA provided you flash the VRUNFC2 leak Odin tar first.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surge1223 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jwendt79
Old
Thanks Meter 20
So I'm taking it you have to have safestrap to do this method. No way to root without safestrap?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

sgs4lover
Old
Thanks Meter 0
this is freakin awesome! thanks man for your hard work!
i have a quick question. if the flash should happen to not work right- would i still be able to use it unrooted on the nc2 or do i have to downgrade back to mk2

lazer9
Old
Thanks Meter 414

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for the guide! Before I do anything, as I'm carefully looking through the instructions, I seem to be missing the part where the file: jfltevzw-FN2-modules.zip is used? Can you point me to that part, I might just be stupid and overlooking it
Verizon Galaxy S4 w/ Safestrap Recovery v3.72 & ★[ROM][JULY 4] Hyperdrive RLS17.1 KitKat `._ ║Hyperdrive Tweaks ║ Ultimate Customization ║ On-the-Fly Theming ★ w/ NC2 Bootloader -On Stock Side!...

Gear w/ Tizen NE9-Rooted

Asus Transformer TF300T : ★★★[TF300 KitKat 4.4.4][CROMBi-kk][F2FS | DATA2SD | ROM2SD | CM11 ][JULY 16]★★★

blueboymj
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Do I also install the jfltevzw-FN2-modules.zip file thru Safestrap?

You mentioned to download this file and then it is not talked about again.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe