XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Owner/Account on B&N Store "Demo Devices" are very stubborn

OP anders8

22nd April 2014, 02:23 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Raleigh
Thanks Meter: 1

21 posts
More
I've been rooting a lot of nooks lately... around 60 of them so far. Some of the nooks I've purchased turned out to be the in-store demo devices. These models just run a loop, advertising the features. My procedure has been:

-using NookManager, reset to the factory image, this wipes out the advertising loop app
-register all the devices to the same email address, for uniformity
-upgrade the devices to 1.2.1 via usb
-use NookManager to root the device
-install my software

However, I've recently come across half a dozen nooks where the factory image IS the advertising loop. These devices are still rootable, however, they are preconfigured in their factory image with their "TEST NOOKUSER" owner and "st284@nk.com" account email address. In addition, the "Erase and Deregister Device" option is grayed out.

Summary of unusualness:
-adb via USB not recognized (ADB works via wifi inside NookManager)
-owner/account not editable
-screen time out greyed out at 2 minutes
-adb install -r pickyourfavorite.apk yields "/system/bin/sh: pm: not found" so this renders installing impossible

For the curious, these units are generally 1.0.0 or 1.1.0 software versions.

What are the ideas on the way forward here? I'm sure a lot of these demo devices will be hitting flea markets.

Anders

Anders
22nd April 2014, 05:31 PM   |  #2  
Flag Atwater, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 24

139 posts
More
I wonder if it would be possible to flash 1.2.1 using CWM? Perhaps that would get you out of the demo loop. I have never tried anything like this, so it is just speculation.
23rd April 2014, 01:01 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 191

321 posts
I'd try the unbricking procedure in this thread.

Essentially, you want to save the rom partition from the problem device. Then restore an image from a properly working device. Then restore the rom partition. The thread doesn't go into fixing the rom partition data backup that is in the factory partition in rombackup.zip. Depending on what you're doing with the NST you might want to restore that as well when you're done. Come to think of it, you might want to look at that zip file before you do anything. Unzip it and see if devconf/OperatingMode has Normal in it. If not, change it and zip it back up then do your factory restore.
23rd April 2014, 02:26 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Raleigh
Thanks Meter: 1

21 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by David0226

I wonder if it would be possible to flash 1.2.1 using CWM? Perhaps that would get you out of the demo loop. I have never tried anything like this, so it is just speculation.

Yup, it's absolutely possible to upgrade them to 1.2.1 using the "copy over via USB" method.

Does not get rid of the demo loop though.

Anders
23rd April 2014, 04:23 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Boston
Thanks Meter: 810

1,995 posts
Isn't demo mode just here?
Code:
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
update system set value=0 where name='demo_mode';
.q
23rd April 2014, 12:22 PM   |  #6  
Flag Atwater, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 24

139 posts
More
If Renate's idea doesn't work, you could try booting into NookManager and connecting using ADB. Once in an adb shell, you can mount the device's internal /system partition using this procedure:

mkdir /int_sys
mount -o rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /int_sys

At this point, try going into /int_sys/app and renaming DemoMode.apk so that when the Nook boots and tries to enter the DemoMode, it can't because the app is gone. This should at least get you access so that you can make other necessary changes.
Last edited by David0226; 23rd April 2014 at 12:25 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread