Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 41,191 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] eInk-friendly Amazon Kindle 3.2.0.35

Tip us?

wskelly
Old
(Last edited by wskelly; 4th December 2012 at 07:14 PM.) Reason: Remove question about signatures.
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 179

DONATE TO ME
Default [APP] eInk-friendly Amazon Kindle 3.2.0.35

I've modded the Kindle app to make it more eInk friendly (especially for Nook Simple Touch (NST)). The changes include:
  • White mode background is really white, not light gray. White mode text is really black, not something close to black.
  • Black mode background/text same as above.
  • Sepia mode unchanged.
  • Reading progress bar changed from shaded spheres (barely visible on eInk) to empty and filled squares.
  • Library background now white with black text.
  • Other text(s) changed to black.

I've signed this app and the signature is different from the original app, so you will need to uninstall your existing Kindle app and install this one.
Attached Files
File Type: apk Amazon Kindle_3.2.0.35-signed.apk - [Click for QR Code] (3.01 MB, 3048 views)
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to wskelly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sayno2quat
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wskelly View Post
I've signed this app and the signature is different from the original app, so you will need to uninstall your existing Kindle app and install this one. If someone can tell me how to sign so that the signatures match that would get around this issue.
I'm pretty sure the point of signatures is to prove who made the update. That is, only the developers of the app have the original signing key. So I don't think there's a way of getting your signature to match theirs.
The Following User Says Thank You to sayno2quat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wskelly
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 179

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayno2quat View Post
I'm pretty sure the point of signatures is to prove who made the update. That is, only the developers of the app have the original signing key. So I don't think there's a way of getting your signature to match theirs.
Thanks sayno -- I've been thinking about this for a few days and your explanation makes perfect sense to me. Of course this measure will prevent someone from hijacking an app from a known source with another one. Thanks for the reply.
The Following User Says Thank You to wskelly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

P3TR
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks a lot for your modified Kindle App, I like it a lot!

myself11
Old
Thanks Meter 262
Library background now white with black text is quite an improvement, thanks.

Regarding whiter background and darker text, I just notice it a bit. I've made the same tweaks on CoolReader and MoonREader and i don't know why but MoonReader displayed the best results.

I use lcd density (crank it up to 260) to make dicitonary window more readable.
Nexus 5 - Ipad Air - Kindle PW 2

ectacy
Old
Thanks Meter 4
This app is amazing. Can it have Partial Refresh feature ?
The Following User Says Thank You to ectacy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

malc_b
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi, Any chance of this app with a different font? Or a way to change fonts?

I believe kindle uses Droid serif where as I prefer the Nook standard san-serif. I think the fonts are in rom so can't be changed? I couldn't seem to rename Droid font (or another) so I can just replace it with a san-serif renamed to Droid.

ramana.spencer
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Does this version have the page animation? i.e. double refresh...
Thanks

PsymonDK
Old
Thanks Meter 0
My antivirus (F-Secure), marked the APK as containing Malware and removed it during download. Anyone else experiencing this? Or can clarify why it is getting marked as Malware?
Current phone: Google Nexus 4
Tablet: Toshiba Encore 8"

Earlier Android phones/tablets:
SE Xperia SK17 Mini Pro
SE X10 Mini Pro
HTC Magic
Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000

bluespire
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsymonDK View Post
My antivirus (F-Secure), marked the APK as containing Malware and removed it during download. Anyone else experiencing this? Or can clarify why it is getting marked as Malware?
They are probably compared this app's signature against the play store's master list of signatures, didn't find this one's, and considered malware.