Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,679 Members 42,611 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Flashing Rom & Kernel of different version of M8?

Tip us?

ccgaryngcc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Flashing Rom & Kernel of different version of M8?

Hi, thanks for reading.
I am a HongKonger. As I know, the global version of M8 is using the snapdragon801AB while Asia version is using the snapdragon801AC. I know the only different of the two cpu is simply overclocking to different frequency. Would the different make development very difficult to support the two at the same time? Or it will just be the same?
I afraid there will be less support for the Asia M8. Will this happen?
I am so sorry that my English is not good enough. Hope you guys could understand what I'm talking about.
Thanks.

cal1162000
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default CPU Difference

Hi.
I suggest you to be extra cautious about cross-flashing.
S801AB and AC are two different CPU although they are almost identical structure wise speaking.
What might really happen if you cross flash is that ROMs for AB doesn't have a proper CPU scheduler for AC. I am talking about the voltage input for CPU. You might very likely be running AC (0.8V required) with AB's voltage (1.0V). Sure, your CPU can take this little voltage surplus but in the long run this is no different than chronic suicide. The best way to get a proper ROM is to request for one that is made specifically for AC variance. Or, if I had to guess, keeping your stock kernel might do the trick here.
All in all, be very careful.