Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,193 Members 36,679 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How do I stop ATT update?

Tip us?

the_windrammer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] How do I stop ATT update?

First off I apologize if this is in the wrong section or has been asked before, I couldn't really find the answer I'm looking for.

So I have my S4 (4.2.2 if it matters) rooted and TWRP recovery loaded on it. I was getting the ATT update message and I kept hitting ignore or remind me latter, however I noticed last night it starts to try to install and restart without giving me an option to cancel it. I quickly remove the battery to prevent my phone from updating.

My question is, how do I stop this update when I turn my phone back on? I don't want it to update the firmware and lock my boot loader. Or am I making a big deal over nothing?

Thanks in advance

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,228
Google how to stop ota i337 xda

You're not over reacting
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

the_windrammer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Google how to stop ota i337 xda

You're not over reacting
Thanks so much.

Just one more think, I just want to make sure that when I turn my phone back on that the update won't finish installing (it was in the process of installing when I shut it off).

Thanks again for all the help.

ted77usa
Old
(Last edited by ted77usa; 28th December 2013 at 07:13 PM.)
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter 3,412

DONATE TO ME
I'm assuming that u have MDB/MDL firmware. ......Take your Att sim card out. ... u need to root your phone. ... install Titanium back up and go to Att software update app ....back up first just incase u need it to return to att and then uninstall it...... that's should stop it from OTA update

SWYPED_FROM_S4_MF3_REDVENOM

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,228
Yep, you're going to want to root and then rename or freeze those files, you found in the Google search. That will stop the update

graydiggy
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,247

DONATE TO ME
Taking just the SIM out at this point won't help. Only way to completely stop it now since it was installing is to Odin back to MDL and start the root process.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Hopefully it didn't already blow the qfuse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Lost in a paper bag again...

the_windrammer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted77usa View Post
I'm assuming that u have MDB/MDL firmware. ......Take your Att sim card out. ... u need to root your phone. ... install Titanium back up and go to Att software update app ....back up first just incase u need it to return to att and then uninstall it...... that's should stop it from OTA update

SWYPED_FROM_S4_MF3_REDVENOM
So not to keep asking the same question, when the sim card is out of the phone, will that prevent the update from installing?

Also to clarify, I've already rooted my phone and installed TWRP recovery. Again at this point I just want to make sure that when I turn my phone on the update isn't going to automatically finish installing before I can block the app/files

Again, thanks so much for the help, can't wait to get a rom installed and start enjoying the awesomeness

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,228
I'd follow graydiggy suggestion. Don't turn it on except to go into download mode. Flash the mdl firmware, then root again and freeze the update apps or install a custom Rom

SouthernEvo
Old
Thanks Meter 47
I could be wrong but I believe the update won't apply since the stock recovery has been replaced with a custom recovery . If I am wrong Im sure somone will come in and correct this statement .
HTC ONE M8 - Stock Unrooted - AT&T
The Following User Says Thank You to SouthernEvo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernEvo View Post
I could be wrong but I believe the update won't apply since the stock recovery has been replaced with a custom recovery . If I am wrong Im sure somone will come in and correct this statement .
Won't matter