Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,778 Members 51,818 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Coming from Sprint/Root question

Tip us?

aquaholik
Old
(Last edited by aquaholik; 22nd April 2014 at 09:35 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Default [Q] Coming from Sprint/Root question

I've had the s2 and note 2 on Sprint and the no contract note 3 for $249 was too good to pass up so right now I am testing AT&T even though my Sprint contract is up and I can switch any time.

I have a question for you guys that are rooted and not rooted. I always rooted the phones on Sprint to get free wifi tether(since sprint has unlimited data) and mess with a few roms and recovery.

I'm getting to old and lazy to do odin and run recovery and test out roms since I hate having to re customize the phone once I have it setup the way I wanted. My note 3 will soon auto update to KitKat. It is on MJ5 4.3. I have the option of rooting now with the Kingo app and then install TiBU and freeze the At&t updater before it takes effect.

My question is, is there any benefits to rooting on AT&T. Most AT&T plan that is no contract and the GO phone plan(which I plan to switch to) has free hot spot and even the mobile shared value plan has free hotspot. I know that Kitkat messes with the app's ability to write to external SD card but Samsung Note 3 has a native file manager call My Files that can write and create and moves files and directory on the external card. So if I don't want to mess with roms and don't need wifi tether, and the Kitkat write privileges is no big deal to me, is there any reason to root?

I'm getting an unlock code in 60 days along with a bill credit of $100 so I can take it to T-Mobile(not likely) if I choose so rooting to unlock the phone for other carriers is also not needed. I wanted to root to stop KitKat but now it won't bother me any more since Samsung, unlike HTC, has a native file manager that is not restricted by Kitkat.

jerrycoffman45
Old
Thanks Meter 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholik View Post
I've had the s2 and note 2 on Sprint and the no contract note 3 for $249 was too good to pass up so right now I am testing AT&T even though my Sprint contract is up and I can switch any time.

I have a question for you guys that are rooted and not rooted. I always rooted the phones on Sprint to get free wifi tether(since sprint has unlimited data) and mess with a few roms and recovery.

I'm getting to old and lazy to do odin and run recovery and test out roms since I hate having to re customize the phone once I have it setup the way I wanted. My note 3 will soon auto update to KitKat. It is on MJ5 4.3. I have the option of rooting now with the Kingo app and then install TiBU and freeze the At&t updater before it takes effect.

My question is, is there any benefits to rooting on AT&T. Most AT&T plan that is no contract and the GO phone plan(which I plan to switch to) has free hot spot and even the mobile shared value plan has free hotspot. I know that Kitkat messes with the app's ability to write to external SD card but Samsung Note 3 has a native file manager call My Files that can write and create and moves files and directory on the external card. So if I don't want to mess with roms and don't need wifi tether, and the Kitkat write privileges is no big deal to me, is there any reason to root?

I'm getting an unlock code in 60 days along with a bill credit of $100 so I can take it to T-Mobile(not likely) if I choose so rooting to unlock the phone for other carriers is also not needed. I wanted to root to stop KitKat but now it won't bother me any more since Samsung, unlike HTC, has a native file manager that is not restricted by Kitkat.
nope if it does everything you want without root why bother I am on the unrooted stock kitkat somedays I miss custom roms but most I dont