FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Benchmark: stock vs rooted

54 posts
Thanks Meter: 12

By inmotion, Member on 13th October 2013, 08:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So one of the benefits of rooting is to get rid of the crap ware and customize your device for performance. I thought it would be a good idea to have some comparisons of a benchmark for rooted vs non rooted n3. We all have read that Samsung cheated on their benchmark scores. However devices being the same all should be on a level field for the scores with the one exception being the root. I choose to run antutu. If there is a better one to use feel free to chime in otherwise post your score and maybe help someone decide if the gains the could see are worth it. Also feel free to post any specific information you feel helped your score with your note 3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

Stock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1381649192057.jpg
Views:	6223
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	2321834  

13th October 2013, 09:11 AM |#2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmotion

So one of the benefits of rooting is to get rid of the crap ware and customize your device for performance. I thought it would be a good idea to have some comparisons of a benchmark for rooted vs non rooted n3. We all have read that Samsung cheated on their benchmark scores. However devices being the same all should be on a level field for the scores with the one exception being the root. I choose to run antutu. If there is a better one to use feel free to chime in otherwise post your score and maybe help someone decide if the gains the could see are worth it. Also feel free to post any specific information you feel helped your score with your note 3

Stock

I understand there are certain benefits to rooting on most devices but im not sure its the same on note 3. Especially since I scored 36,451 on antutu after setting up and installing all my apps, games, and galaxy gear. (Im on my main phone mega6.3 and will post screenshot from note 3 tomorrow), plus the fact that samsung is remotely bricking rooted devices thru knox security registry. This has already happened to my buddy who has or I should say had the sprint note 3. On top of outright voiding your warranty and carrier refusal to accept a bricked phone on return 6 days after purchase, its just not worth it. Im already getting higher benchmarks unrooted and not risking an 800 dollar paperweight, when a launcher like nova can give you a change in the look if your not a tw person. just my 2 cents.
13th October 2013, 09:13 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by megalomanic14

I understand there are certain benefits to rooting on most devices but im not sure its the same on note 3. Especially since I scored 36,451 on antutu after setting up and installing all my apps, games, and galaxy gear. (Im on my main phone mega6.3 and will post screenshot from note 3 tomorrow), plus the fact that samsung is remotely bricking rooted devices thru knox security registry. This has already happened to my buddy who has or I should say had the sprint note 3. On top of outright voiding your warranty and carrier refusal to accept a bricked phone on return 6 days after purchase, its just not worth it. Im already getting higher benchmarks unrooted and not risking an 800 dollar paperweight, when a launcher like nova can give you a change in the look if your not a tw person. just my 2 cents.

Samsung remotely bricking note 3's through Knox remote regestry? Validation link please?
The Following User Says Thank You to DustinKimble For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DustinKimble Ad-Free
13th October 2013, 09:43 AM |#4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinKimble

Samsung remotely bricking note 3's through Knox remote regestry? Validation link please?

Validation link? Search xda my man its all over the boards...my experience came from my best friend that got hardware bricked by knox...so how bout a photo? Lol...believe it or not, makes no difference to me, but i was with him when it happened and while he was on the phone with samsung...no warranty...bricked phone...out 800 dollars

I am only sharing my experiences as I posted above...just as a heads up so people are aware of this happening... and for the fact my n900a stock unrooted beat his rooted note 3.

Mega
13th October 2013, 09:58 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
I did a search right after my post. Also google'd it. I don't think samsung is remotely bricking devices through some sort of knox security registry (of which I could find no search results of either). Either corrupt downloads, incorrectly following root procedures, or another user error is at play here. IM me a link where I can read about this knox security registry and I'll admit I'm wrong.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DustinKimble For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DustinKimble Ad-Free
13th October 2013, 10:16 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by megalomanic14

Validation link? Search xda my man its all over the boards...my experience came from my best friend that got hardware bricked by knox...so how bout a photo? Lol...believe it or not, makes no difference to me, but i was with him when it happened and while he was on the phone with samsung...no warranty...bricked phone...out 800 dollars

I am only sharing my experiences as I posted above...just as a heads up so people are aware of this happening... and for the fact my n900a stock unrooted beat his rooted note 3.

Mega

Out of shear curiosity how is hardware bricked from software?? On top of that isn't the point of Knox to be secure from outside threats, Samsung included?

Back on topic here I'd love to see benchmarks of some rooted note 3's

The Following User Says Thank You to inmotion For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift inmotion Ad-Free
13th October 2013, 03:10 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 432

More
I know I have read about people getting into bootloop problems a lot which some people think may be related to Knox. But I have seen nothing about Samsung remotely bricking devices. That would be insane and would be all over the internet. Don't make claims like this without being able to back it up.

Please let's get back to benchmarks. I have not rooted yet but would be interested if it could give some good performance gains.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to drmacrofish For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drmacrofish Ad-Free
13th October 2013, 04:22 PM |#8  
Flag Hammond, LA
Thanks Meter: 95

Donate to Me
More
Back on topic, here's my rooted Note 3's Antutu score! Oh and Geaux Tigers!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1381677736979.jpg
Views:	2780
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	2322482  
The Following User Says Thank You to scoot05redss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scoot05redss Ad-Free
13th October 2013, 04:30 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 126

More
Not rooted, and maybe wrong forum?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk HD
14th October 2013, 01:09 AM |#10  
OP Member

More
Bump

14th October 2013, 01:50 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 240

More
Rooted bloat removed
I'm rooted and removed just about all the bloat apps and it struggles to reach 35k on antutu. The phone does seem to run quite a bit smoother and way cooler with all that bloat removed.

Reading this whole thing about phones being bricked by knox kinda makes me want to unroot though lol. I have all the knox apps froze right now so I'm kind of wondering if this a good thing or bad thing. I really don't want a $800 paper weight.

Edit: What root method did your friend used that bricked his phone? Did the root method trip the knox counter?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)