Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,363 Members 46,876 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Making The Jump From Jelly Bean to KitKat On The AT&T Note 3!

Tip us?

tropazr
Old
(Last edited by tropazr; 10th April 2014 at 04:43 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 568
Default [GUIDE] Making The Jump From Jelly Bean to KitKat On The AT&T Note 3!

Upgrading from Jelly Bean to KitKat is easy!

Disclaimer
As always, this carries a certain amount of risk so by using the guide below you agree not to hold me liable if your device turns into a very expensive paperweight (not at all likely but you have been warned! )

Prerequisites
  • Windows computer
  • You must be on a 4.3.X Jelly Bean (rooted stock or custom ROM)
  • You must have Safestrap installed
  • UrDroid Stock Rooted KitKat ROM.zip (Odexed or Deodexed) by @carl1961 (everyone go hit his Thanks button!)
  • ODIN.zip (download in second post)
First Steps
  • Download ODIN.zip & extract the .zip to your desktop.
  • Download UrDroid Stock Rooted KitKat ROM.zip to your internal SD Card by following the download links in the ROM’s original thread (found here).
  • Once downloaded, boot into Safestrap.
  • *IMPORTANT* Make sure you have deleted any extra ROM Slots you have created and that you have your STOCK slot activated!
  • In Safestrap main menu, click on the WIPE button and go ahead and “factory reset” your device (wipe data + cache) like you always do before flashing a ROM.
  • Once you have wiped data, navigate back to the INSTALL button in SafeStrap.
  • Navigate to the UrDroid ROM.zip that you saved to your SD Card and proceed to flash the ROM to your stock slot.
  • Once the ROM has successfully flashed - navigate back to Safestrap menu & choose REBOOT & then DOWNLOAD.
  • Your phone will reboot into Download Mode.
  • Now, open the file located inside of ODIN.zip labeled “Odin & needed files are here” on your desktop.
  • Click on and run Odin3 v3.09.exe.
  • On the right hand side of Odin you will see different buttons labeled PIT, BL, AP, CP.
  • Click on the PIT button and select HLTE_USA_ATT_32G.pit. Now select BL and choose BL_N900AUCECMGL.tar. Now continue to match AP with the AP file and CP with the CP file.
  • Once all 4 files have been inputted into Odin plug in your phone and click START.
  • Let Odin finish its magic then reboot your device.
  • Welcome to KitKat!!!

Next Steps
  • Now that you are on KK you need to sideload Safestrap v3.72.apk and install it to your device.
  • Once you’ve installed it go ahead and open it up and INSTALL Safestrap.
  • Once you have Safestrap installed it is important to note that you cannot mix Jelly Bean & KitKat ROMs with Safestrap….you must stick to KitKat based ROMs (it is possible this will change in the future...if it does I will update this post!)
  • Now that you are running rooted stock KitKat w/Safestrap feel free to flash whatever Custom ROM you'd like to try out!

Credits
@carl1961 - thank you for everything you do for the community!
The Following 59 Users Say Thank You to tropazr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tropazr
Old
(Last edited by tropazr; 15th April 2014 at 01:24 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 568
Default Downloads

Download UrDroid Stock Rooted KitKat.zip
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2584994

Download ODIN.zip (includes all needed files + instructions)
http://goo.gl/GdJonL

*If you download please consider hitting the thanks button!
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to tropazr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SunnyOK
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Thank you for your guide.

The following steps are not necessary:
[*]Once the ROM has successfully flashed, pull the battery out of the phone & put it back in (do not reboot). [*]Once your battery is reinserted press and hold VOL Down & Power to boot into Download Mode.

Safestrap directly provides: Reboot --> Download.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SunnyOK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tropazr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyOK View Post
Thank you for your guide.

The following steps are not necessary:
[*]Once the ROM has successfully flashed, pull the battery out of the phone & put it back in (do not reboot). [*]Once your battery is reinserted press and hold VOL Down & Power to boot into Download Mode.

Safestrap directly provides: Reboot --> Download.
OP updated to reflect this!!! Thanks for your help!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tropazr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zewone
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Sorry for the ignorance, but will this method keep my user data and root?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zewone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tropazr
Old
(Last edited by tropazr; 11th April 2014 at 06:29 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by zewone View Post
Sorry for the ignorance, but will this method keep my user data and root?
No problem! This is why this post is here. This method does not wipe your internal SD card but it does wipe user data!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tropazr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rawb123456
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Any feedback on this method?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to rawb123456 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tropazr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawb123456 View Post
Any feedback on this method?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
This is the same method as it always been just better explained. Feel free to sub any other KK ROM.zip you want!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tropazr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dadymon53
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Is still necessary to delete the JB safestrap (3.71), in order to use 3.72 safestrap effectively?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to dadymon53 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tropazr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadymon53 View Post
Is still necessary to delete the JB safestrap (3.71), in order to use 3.72 safestrap effectively?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
If you do a clean wipe in SafeStrap when you reboot into KK Safestrap will not be installed. You will need to sideload and install it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app