What do I mean by hard brick?
Your phone doesn't power up, visibly charge, reach a boot-screen of any kind or go into download mode. Basically, it acts like it won't power on at all. Hard bricked. Even if you nuke the aboot, sbl1, boot, etc... like I did, this method will revive your phone!
This is a great safety net for those who want to test bootloader exploits!
What do you need?
Bricked Galaxy Note 3 (SM-900A)
microSD card (all data will be erased from this sdcard)
microSD card reader
Linux / OS X (can be running in vmware/virtual box on windows)
Unbrick Image (MI9)
Stock Odin Files
- Boot Linux / OS X / VMware / Virtual Box
- Download the unbrick image listed in the item's needed list
- Open terminal on your OS
- Insert your microSD card into the reader
- Plug your microSD card reader into your computer
dmesg | tail
sudo dd if=/<path_to_debrick.img> of=/dev/sdX
I had to do this a couple times for the image to actually take
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdX
- remove the microSD card from the reader
- remove the battery and sim from your device
- insert your unbrick microSD into your phone
- insert the battery and press the power button, it should boot
- reboot into Download mode either via adb or Volume Down + Home + Power
- use stock odin files to restore your phone
Thanks to the following:
Shabbypenguin for pointing me to this!
gTan64 for finding the fix while repairing their friend's phone.
KAsp3rd for showing Shabbypenguin this and assisting him throughout it