Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,869 Members 39,346 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Sideloading stock ROM problems on ClockworkMod Recovery

Tip us?

Perpetual Nomad
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Sideloading stock ROM problems on ClockworkMod Recovery

Howdy -- I was given a SGH-I747 formerly on AT&T. This was a hand-me-down from a coworker that doesn't know what the prior owner actually did to the thing.

It appears that the phone boot-loops for a bit until it lands in into ClockworkMod Recovery v6.0.4.7. The CyanogenMod logo appears at initial boot.

This recovery tool seems to have no external microSD card access. I already have ADB on my Win7 machine and was able to install a driver for the S3 to allow me to sideload via command prompt.

I attempted to do this with a copy of the stock ROM without root access.

Initially I was forced to update a line on the script to bypass the invalid number of arguments roadblock, but later encountered this:
Code:
Select Code
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
set_perm: some changes failed
E:Error in /tmp/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.
I presume something has changed on the primary partition that it wasn't expecting, but I haven't the slightest idea where to go from here.

Thanks for the brainpower

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 353
I don't think you can sideload as I have never seen a Samsung phone that supports ADB.

Try updating the recovery to latest version of Philz Touch from here: http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_A..._Edition/d2lte

Philz is flashable in Odin under the PDA option and is based on the latest CWM release.
The Following User Says Thank You to audit13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Perpetual Nomad
Old
(Last edited by Perpetual Nomad; 25th April 2014 at 02:29 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I seem to have successfully applied philz_touch_6.26.6-d2lte, yet the phone continues to boot into the CyanogenMod logo screen and proceed no further. Thoughts? Screenshot attached.

Edit:
Alright -- I've got the menu up:
PhilZ Touch: 6.26.6
Clockworkmode v6.0.4.8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-24-2014 9-17-19 PM.png
Views:	16
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	2707248  

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 353
Download a custom ROM (I use Validus 13 myself) to an SD card, insert the card into the phone, boot into recovery, flash the ROM, wipe the cache, Dalvik, data, and reboot the phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to audit13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Perpetual Nomad
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Success! I did try loading up the stock ROMs that I'd grabbed off the internal card with the same results as when I was trying to sideload it. Sideloading would indeed have worked it would seem, but the scripts just aren't working for this device it would seem.

Validus 13 went on just fine. I'm sure the wife could do without the killer clowns every time she rebooted, but, well...

Thanks again for the assistance!

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 353
You can easily change the boot animation either before installing the ROM or after by replacing the boot animation zip.

I believe that side loading isn't possible on Samsung phones as they don't support fastboot commands.

Side loading works in my Motorola and nexus but fastboot commands never work on my Samsung.

Perpetual Nomad
Old
(Last edited by Perpetual Nomad; 25th April 2014 at 05:00 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Interesting.

So, I'd actually like to give this another go since it looks like I flashed a slightly out of date version of this onto the phone. Do you happen to know what the process is to update the boot/shutdown animation in the package beforehand? Actually, going to give Slimkat a shot --

SuperMidgetProductions
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
You can easily change the boot animation either before installing the ROM or after by replacing the boot animation zip.

I believe that side loading isn't possible on Samsung phones as they don't support fastboot commands.

Side loading works in my Motorola and nexus but fastboot commands never work on my Samsung.
sideloading works fine on my S3 with philz recovery installed, i use it to fully format my internal card to blank then sideload a rom/gapps/update.zip since i don't have an external card to put into it.

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMidgetProductions View Post
sideloading works fine on my S3 with philz recovery installed, i use it to fully format my internal card to blank then sideload a rom/gapps/update.zip since i don't have an external card to put into it.
Interesting. Didn't know this was possible. Is there a certain version of the fastboot drivers I need to use?

SuperMidgetProductions
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I just have whatever versions of crap i came across searching the first time a long time ago. Then had to learn where the sideload option was located in philz recovery and it all worked fine together

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app