April Fools Round Up: The Year of Nostalgia

April Fools Day is once again upon us and as usual, tech companies everywhere have not … more

Android 5.1 OTA for Nexus Round-Up

The beginning of April is dominated by April Fools. There are jokes and pranks everywhere, which are … more

Official Lollipop for LG G2 Captured

LG is rolling out the Lollipop update for the LG G2. KDZ images for both 16 GB and 32 GB variants … more

Google’s Prank Roundup for April Fools 2015

Once again, we have arrived on the most magical of holidays – the annual … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Help rooting new HTC One M8

24th April 2014, 09:39 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26
 
185 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
More
Okay so I unlocked my bootloader using the toolkit but I dont want to flash a custom recovery, I like the stock one. Is there anyway I can root it using the stock recover?
Last edited by CavyS; 24th April 2014 at 10:27 PM.
25th April 2014, 01:50 PM |#2  
sameer1807's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 49
 
417 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Probably not since most Roms need a custom recovery..twrp/philz..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

But rooting u just use the toolkit.. I think you don't need to even go into recovery with the toolkit

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app
25th April 2014, 08:36 PM |#3  
P05TMAN's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Boulder, CO
Thanks Meter: 82
 
318 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer1807

Probably not since most Roms need a custom recovery..twrp/philz..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

But rooting u just use the toolkit.. I think you don't need to even go into recovery with the toolkit

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

Does anyone know if one would still get OTA updates from AT&T if rooted and unlocked?
25th April 2014, 11:03 PM |#4  
johnnyutah22's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tennessee
Thanks Meter: 113
 
480 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by P05TMAN

Does anyone know if one would still get OTA updates from AT&T if rooted and unlocked?

Yes if you are on the stock rom with no deleted or modified system apps, however the update will most likely break root and could result in the inability to root in the future. Usually within days of an update, someone mods the new update and posts it in the dev forum for those who are unable to update, at least that was my experience on the S3.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnyutah22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th April 2014, 01:28 AM |#5  
beberobu's Avatar
Member
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 37
 
97 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Info 2 How to unlcok the HTC One (M8) bootloader with official HTC Dev tool
Hope to be helpfull:

http://hobbyforum.ro/topic/3956-how-...-tool/?p=41286
26th April 2014, 01:29 AM |#6  
an0ther's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 230
 
615 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavyS

Okay so I unlocked my bootloader using the toolkit but I dont want to flash a custom recovery, I like the stock one. Is there anyway I can root it using the stock recover?

yes, just boot into twrp, don't flash it.
fastboot boot twrp.img
you can flash supersu and never touch stock recovery
26th April 2014, 01:42 AM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 68
 
474 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
This is your second thread of the same question....I wrote a reply here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post52170012

This will get you what you need. One thread is usually good enough
26th April 2014, 03:29 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26
 
185 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
More
Thanks everyone for the replies. I was somehow able to just push SuperSu onto my phone, no need go into fastboot or anything. After I unlocked the bootloader I restarted my phone and just clicked on Perm Root, it did its thing, I restarted one more time and boom SuperSu was there and root was verified with root checker.
26th April 2014, 03:35 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26
 
185 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmpyre

This is your second thread of the same question....I wrote a reply here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post52170012

This will get you what you need. One thread is usually good enough

Yeah sorry about that, I noticed that this thread was in General and than there was another thread for Help and Troublshooting. Not knowing which one to put it under I put it in both. Lol

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes