Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,682 Members 42,969 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Erratic touch screen after digitizer + LCD replacement

Tip us?

daviddema
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Erratic touch screen after digitizer + LCD replacement

Hello,

I replaced the digitizer and LCD on my 1st generation Nexus 7 with an apparently identical Hydis LCD/digitizer assembly. Now I am experiencing erratic behavior of the touch screen, some dead spots, scrolling registering as touch, etc.

Could this be a grounding issue that happens now because I did not properly put the unit back together? If so, which areas should I focuse on / cover with electrical tape to try and get rid of the issue?

Could this also be a software issue if the lcd/digitizer model is not exactly the same? The numbers below the "Hydis" markings are the same as on the original unit, but the numbers below the code bars are different. If so, is there a solution? Drivers? Calibration?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

daviddema
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddema View Post
Hello,

I replaced the digitizer and LCD on my 1st generation Nexus 7 with an apparently identical Hydis LCD/digitizer assembly. Now I am experiencing erratic behavior of the touch screen, some dead spots, scrolling registering as touch, etc.

Could this be a grounding issue that happens now because I did not properly put the unit back together? If so, which areas should I focuse on / cover with electrical tape to try and get rid of the issue?

Could this also be a software issue if the lcd/digitizer model is not exactly the same? The numbers below the "Hydis" markings are the same as on the original unit, but the numbers below the code bars are different. If so, is there a solution? Drivers? Calibration?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Turns out I had not fully reinserted the digitizer ribbon connector into the mobo clip connectors. The white lines on the ribbon connector should be exactly flush and parallel with the black part of the clip connectors, and you should hear/feel a light click when they get fully inserted. Works fine now!