Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Battery Consumption Gear 2 and S4

OP okrk

26th April 2014, 03:02 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
72 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
I have had my Gear 2 for about 7 days now and i barely get 24hrs on a single charge.
What are people seeing for battery consumption?
Am i missing something?

I thought it was the newness and that i might have been using a lot so i planned to reset the watch and not use it that much as a test. So yesterday i reinitialized my G2 and reinstalled the Gear Manager on my phone. I planned for a day of limited use. I turned off the screen motion sensor. Then this morning i took the G2 off charge at 8:30am. I checked the time today maybe about 10 times received 2 notifications and at 8:50PM i am at 49% WTF?

This is terrible performance and sadly i am contemplating returning my G2 to best buy and waiting to see what else comes out in later this year. I also can't seem to get notifications to pop up on the screen. I get vibration and beeps but i still have to open the notification section to read the msgs from my messaging app Invi.

The battery is really going to be the deal breaker for me unless someone has some insight to what might be causing this massive drain.
Last edited by okrk; 26th April 2014 at 03:12 AM.
26th April 2014, 05:30 AM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
I've had mine for a little longer than yourself. I have mine hooked up to a note 3 and I have been getting great battery life, in the 3+ days range. I turned off the motion sensor and the battery has gotten even better, sitting at 69% after pulling it off the charger yesterday morning, I am not a heavy user of it however, I use it mainly at work, since I can't have my phone on vibrate, only silence it allows me to know when my phone receives things in a discrete manner. You probably received a defective unit as to the battery life and the notification issues. I would take it back to best buy and trade it for another. My 2 cents.
26th April 2014, 06:49 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
72 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
It is now 12:45AM the G2 has been off charge for 16hr 15min and i am at 20% I have only checked the time about 5 times since my original post.
I don't think it will make it to 24hrs.
26th April 2014, 06:51 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
72 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by homicidalspoon

I've had mine for a little longer than yourself. I have mine hooked up to a note 3 and I have been getting great battery life, in the 3+ days range. I turned off the motion sensor and the battery has gotten even better, sitting at 69% after pulling it off the charger yesterday morning, I am not a heavy user of it however, I use it mainly at work, since I can't have my phone on vibrate, only silence it allows me to know when my phone receives things in a discrete manner. You probably received a defective unit as to the battery life and the notification issues. I would take it back to best buy and trade it for another. My 2 cents.

That is the kind of performance i was hoping for.
Maybe i will return it for another but i don't have a good feeling. Maybe it is something related to my S4 and the G2 combination.
26th April 2014, 07:03 AM   |  #5  
jeffnz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 166
 
393 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
More
You need to remember that although the screen is off its still working. Mine is working fine on S4 and I have everything on and brightest it can go and use it a lot .anything over 24 hours is fine to me. Currently been off charge for 10 hours and still 83%. We all use devices differently so it's either defective or something isn't set right.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
26th April 2014, 08:25 AM   |  #6  
henklbr's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 317
 
831 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2009
More
Lightbulb
No probs at all with my Gear 2:

Battery-life Gear 2 icw Note 3
26th April 2014, 04:46 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
72 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnz

You need to remember that although the screen is off its still working. Mine is working fine on S4 and I have everything on and brightest it can go and use it a lot .anything over 24 hours is fine to me. Currently been off charge for 10 hours and still 83%. We all use devices differently so it's either defective or something isn't set right.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

As i stated in my post i refrained from using the G2 aside from checking the time throughout the day. I completely agree with you. The question is what could possibly be set wrong to cause this,
26th April 2014, 04:52 PM   |  #8  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
72 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
When the G2 reached 15% at around 2AM (~17hrs off charge) i turned off the bluetooth on the G2 and after 2 hours it was at 14%. So it seems that it is related to the bluetooth and S4.
26th April 2014, 08:33 PM   |  #9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
48 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Which android version do you run on you your S4?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app
27th April 2014, 07:27 AM   |  #10  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
72 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielko

Which android version do you run on you your S4?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

I am rooted running Hyperdrive Rom (Android 4.3)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes