Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,666 Members 39,763 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SD Card NTFS Support?

Tip us?

lordazoroth
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65
Arrow [Q] SD Card NTFS Support?

Any good way to get NTFS support? I was using NtfsSd for a while https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....oyaxai.ntfssd but it hasn't been updated for 4.2. Just wondering if anyone has a better solution.
If I've helped you, please thank me.

My Device:
) T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 G900T: BeansTown106 [kltetmo_UVU1ANCH_deodex] [04/16/14]

Last 2 Phones:
) T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S III: Infamous v4.8.2 + KT747-TW-JB-4.1.2-ATT-05-31-2013 Kernel
) Sprint Nexus S 4G

lordazoroth
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65
Anybody?

My Device:
) T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 G900T: BeansTown106 [kltetmo_UVU1ANCH_deodex] [04/16/14]

Last 2 Phones:
) T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S III: Infamous v4.8.2 + KT747-TW-JB-4.1.2-ATT-05-31-2013 Kernel
) Sprint Nexus S 4G

BLuFeNiX
Old
Thanks Meter 180

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordazoroth View Post
Any good way to get NTFS support? I was using NtfsSd for a while https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....oyaxai.ntfssd but it hasn't been updated for 4.2. Just wondering if anyone has a better solution.
Why would you want this? Have you tried ext4 or exFat?
If you like my work, feel free to donate, or just hit the THANKS BUTTON.

Want to make your own boot animations from an animated GIF? Check out my software! - Gif2Boot (no root required)

lordazoroth
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLuFeNiX View Post
Why would you want this? Have you tried ext4 or exFat?
Ext4 isn't supported natively by windows, therefore leading to compatibility issues with most of the worlds computers unless you install additional software (effectively defeating the purpose). exFAT on the other hand is more prone to corruption than NTFS. NTFS utilizes a redundant MFT record number (useful for recovering damaged MFT files). Since SD cards are essentially removable media, it is wise to build and maintain your foundation upon the format with the lowest chance of data loss.

Any suggestions?

My Device:

Last 2 Phones:
) Sprint Nexus S 4G

BLuFeNiX
Old
Thanks Meter 180

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordazoroth View Post
Ext4 isn't supported natively by windows, therefore leading to compatibility issues with most of the worlds computers unless you install additional software (effectively defeating the purpose). exFAT on the other hand is more prone to corruption than NTFS. NTFS utilizes a redundant MFT record number (useful for recovering damaged MFT files). Since SD cards are essentially removable media, it is wise to build and maintain your foundation upon the format with the lowest chance of data loss.

Any suggestions?
My concern is that NTFS might not play well with android. Yes, it usually works fine with Linux, but NTFS is not an open source filesystem and any 3rd party driver written for it has the potential to cause problems and data loss.

Do you expect to frequently remove the SD card from your device? If not, ext4 would work fine (mounted via usb on your drive), and also provides superior journaling to NTFS.
If you like my work, feel free to donate, or just hit the THANKS BUTTON.

Want to make your own boot animations from an animated GIF? Check out my software! - Gif2Boot (no root required)

lordazoroth
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLuFeNiX View Post
My concern is that NTFS might not play well with android. Yes, it usually works fine with Linux, but NTFS is not an open source filesystem and any 3rd party driver written for it has the potential to cause problems and data loss.

Do you expect to frequently remove the SD card from your device? If not, ext4 would work fine (mounted via usb on your drive), and also provides superior journaling to NTFS.
Unfortunately yes I plan on removing it occasionally. When transferring a file from my PC to the SD card through my phone, any files larger than 4gb are immediately rejected, even when using exFAT or NTFS. I suspect this is because the PC cannot detect the format of the SD card while it is in the Phone and assumes it is FAT32. I've experienced no data issues using with NTFS and Android and have been using this system for 2 years now. I've even recovered from data corruption on a few occasions due to improper removal of cards and crashes and such. However, I've not been so fortunate with exFAT. While I could download files larger than 4gb from the PC instead of using the PC to push them to the phone, it would require each file be accessible by granting access to entire directories solely for the purpose of a temporary transfer session. This is obviously unacceptable for too many reasons to list here. If there was any other way I would gladly take it, but NTFS appears to be my best option and I would prefer not to settle for exFAT. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ty for your replies so far by the way

My Device:

Last 2 Phones:
) Sprint Nexus S 4G

dynospectrum
Old
Thanks Meter 363
You're gonna have to wait for a custom kernel for NTFS support.

The Following User Says Thank You to dynospectrum For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
sd card ntfs format exfat