Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,382 Members 45,081 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][4.0+] Forum Fiend

Tip us?
 
bastecklein
Old
(Last edited by bastecklein; 9th June 2014 at 04:20 PM.) Reason: new changelog
#1  
bastecklein's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 32
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Overland Park

 
DONATE TO ME
Default [APP][4.0+] Forum Fiend

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pps.forumfiend

So I am the developer of a little known Tapatalk alternative forum reader called Forum Fiend. The app has come a long way since I released it last fall. The reason for my post is that I have noticed XDA is the #3 site accessed through Forum Fiend, so there might be a couple of users around here. Was wondering if people could share their issues with the app or provide feedback on how to make it better. My goal is to provide a fully functional and superior forum browsing experience vs Tapatalk.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forum Fiend v1.2.5.

Update 20140609 - v1.2.8
  • New Theme Options - Forum theme options have been greatly expanded. You can now alter the accent color, background color, text color, forum element color/visibility, forum wallpaper, and turn on/off forum icons/avatars.
  • App can now be installed/moved to SD card
  • Kit Kat(+) devices now tint the status and nav bars with forum theme color
  • Added Favorites list (bookmarks) for forums.
  • Added more functionality to forums viewed in the Web View (non-tapatalk forums)
  • Various bug fixes

Update 20140507 - v1.2.7
  • Non-Tapatalk forums can now be added to the app. If you enter a URL that does not work with Tapa, the app will ask if you want to use the forum in a WebView instead.
  • Added a post preview option to the new posts screen. Also added a select all, and a clear all feature. Find them by pressing the menu button on the new post screen.
  • Various other bug fixes and layout updates

Update 20140430 - v1.2.6
  • You can now add a direct link on the homescreen to any of your forums. It will behave just like having a stand alone forum app, completely bypassing the forum listing screen. This required the Install Shortcut permission.
  • Forum elements now have sort of a shaded box theme to them. I think it looks a little nicer, but if people don't like it I can revert back to the old look, or make it optional.
  • Got rid of the cartoon looking default avatar icon.
  • Improvements to post link, quote, and other BB code handling.
  • Forum topics listing now has an infinite scroll (at least until there are no topics left), kind of like the news feeds in Facebook and Twitter apps
  • The left slideout menu has been rearranged and now contains navigation links such as forum index, subscriptions, unread topics, etc
  • Added a quick popup tip on how to log in when you enter a forum as a guest
  • Changed the language on the forum listing screen input box to make it more apparent that a URL is the required input
  • Forum settings have been moved out of the sliding menu and on to their own screen.
Current Projects

Forum Fiend (Android) - Tapatalk compatible mobile forum reader app.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2733755

Android String Translator (Windows) - A Windows utility that will automatically localize Android string resources using machine translation.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52373204
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to bastecklein For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
tube517
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 105
Posts: 366
Join Date: Jun 2010
I just tried it and it's a good start. It needs some work like labelling. Right now, it's just a box with the word "Add". Need a tutorial or something to guide the user into what or how to get into a forum. Right now, I had to guess and put the entire web address in the box. The key at the bottom needs a label. Even something as simple as "login" or something. I'm no IT/Tech expert but I can get around and figure stuff out. Not everyone is tech savvy so they need a little guidance.

Need a way to access favorite forums. XDA, for example, is a large forum. People don't like to scroll through every phone or tablet to find their forum.

Hopefully, this helps a little. I don't want to sound critical but these are things you need to know.

Taptalk is the gold standard right now but I like competition so good luck.
SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 3 7.0
ROM • The Deleterious ROM 4.1.2

SAMSUNG GALAXY Note 2 (i317)
ROM • EzKat (4.4.2) Touchwiz KitKat

Samsung Galaxy S3 (i747) Wife's phone on Tmobile
ROM • DanKang Slim 4.3.1

TOSHIBA THRIVE• US 10.1"
ROM • Team Baked BlackBean 4.1.2

SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE (i717) Unlocked to T-Mobile
ROM • CM 11 (p12) 4.4.2 KitKat

Azpen 701 (7" tablet)
ROM • Stock Unrooted JB 4.1.2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tube517 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
bastecklein
Old
#3  
bastecklein's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 32
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Overland Park

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tube517
I just tried it and it's a good start. It needs some work like labelling. Right now, it's just a box with the word "Add". Need a tutorial or something to guide the user into what or how to get into a forum. Right now, I had to guess and put the entire web address in the box. The key at the bottom needs a label. Even something as simple as "login" or something. I'm no IT/Tech expert but I can get around and figure stuff out. Not everyone is tech savvy so they need a little guidance.



Need a way to access favorite forums. XDA, for example, is a large forum. People don't like to scroll through every phone or tablet to find their forum.



Hopefully, this helps a little. I don't want to sound critical but these are things you need to know.



Taptalk is the gold standard right now but I like competition so good luck.
THANK YOU this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forum Fiend v1.2.5.
Current Projects

Forum Fiend (Android) - Tapatalk compatible mobile forum reader app.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2733755

Android String Translator (Windows) - A Windows utility that will automatically localize Android string resources using machine translation.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52373204
 
Jesellers88
Old
#4  
Jesellers88's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 62
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: California
I've been looking for something to replace Tapatalk, and I've looked at FF a few times. Figuring out how to get a forum loaded was confusing. The only way I figured out how to get on to XDA was happening to see it on the Play Store pictures. Logging in was a bit awkward too. When I saw the key at the top, I figured it was a link to purchase a pro version or something.

Most of all though, the look of it kept me from switching over. It feels dated. From the default cartoon avatars before logging in to a forum and icons, to the font and colors, it just feels a little off, although the action bar looks fine. I also feel like the slide out navigation is sort of wasted on the settings menu and active users, neither of which I use much. They might be better suited for faster navigation, search, showing subscribed forums/topics.

The number 1 reason, though, that I am looking for a Tapatalk replacement is the ability to bypass the forum selection page since I only use XDA. If it could detect that only one forum is present and automatically enter that one when opening the app, that would be legit.

Sorry to seem like I was going on and on. I think it has good potential, and some easy-ish fixes can make a world difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesellers88 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
bastecklein
Old
#5  
bastecklein's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 32
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Overland Park

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesellers88 View Post
I've been looking for something to replace Tapatalk, and I've looked at FF a few times. Figuring out how to get a forum loaded was confusing. The only way I figured out how to get on to XDA was happening to see it on the Play Store pictures. Logging in was a bit awkward too. When I saw the key at the top, I figured it was a link to purchase a pro version or something.

Most of all though, the look of it kept me from switching over. It feels dated. From the default cartoon avatars before logging in to a forum and icons, to the font and colors, it just feels a little off, although the action bar looks fine. I also feel like the slide out navigation is sort of wasted on the settings menu and active users, neither of which I use much. They might be better suited for faster navigation, search, showing subscribed forums/topics.

The number 1 reason, though, that I am looking for a Tapatalk replacement is the ability to bypass the forum selection page since I only use XDA. If it could detect that only one forum is present and automatically enter that one when opening the app, that would be legit.

Sorry to seem like I was going on and on. I think it has good potential, and some easy-ish fixes can make a world difference.
Thanks, this is good feedback. I have read other comments in the market also saying the interface looks dated, but I am not entirely sure what a more modern interface looks like. Do you consider the general look and feel of Tapatalk to be a good example of modern, that I can use as a guide to work off of?

As for automatically going to a specific forum, that would certainly be easy to add. I was thinking of letting users place icons for their specific forums on their homescreen, so they could launch each forum just as they would a stand alone app. They would probably be widgets technically, but could look just like a normal app icon.
 
starkly_raving
Old
#6  
starkly_raving's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 366
Posts: 241
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastecklein View Post
Thanks, this is good feedback. I have read other comments in the market also saying the interface looks dated, but I am not entirely sure what a more modern interface looks like. Do you consider the general look and feel of Tapatalk to be a good example of modern, that I can use as a guide to work off of?

As for automatically going to a specific forum, that would certainly be easy to add. I was thinking of letting users place icons for their specific forums on their homescreen, so they could launch each forum just as they would a stand alone app. They would probably be widgets technically, but could look just like a normal app icon.
A holo interface would be nice keeping in time with current Google design and the majority of apps that currently being published.

Sent from my N800 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to starkly_raving For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
rolling56
Old
#7  
rolling56's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 119
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Springfield,Misery
Added to Wishlist and will take a look at it when i get time and hello Kansas City from Springfield,MO
 
defim
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 762
Posts: 1,499
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastecklein View Post
...I have noticed XDA is the #3 site accessed through Forum Fiend...
Can you pleae explain what else is tracked and how?
Motorola Defy+ aka MB526 Android 4.4.4 Cyanogen Mod
Samsung S4a aka GT-i9295 Android 4.2.2 Google Edition
My Android apps / Xposed modules: show Threads
 
moorkai
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 69
Join Date: Aug 2012
I appreciate the fact you asked for the voice of community. I guess it's somewhat vital for application's life, if anything else for gaining people's attention. Anyway, first thing I noticed when I installed Forum Fiend (yeah, I installed Forum Fiend now for the first time) was the fact that you need to manually enter forum server's URL. It's not a major PITA, but perhaps it would be nicer if it was done the Tapatalk way. The design is quite up-to-date IMHO, but as Jesellers88 said, default icons are cute, but kind of unprofessional, I'm afraid.

Also, BBCode support is a quite handy feature which Tapatalk does not offer (kudos!), but a full-fledged editor with preview, code and other stuff depending on what each forum allows would be even better, though Tapatalk offers nothing.

To summarize: Forum Fiend is quite a nice application, but above mentioned suggestions (mine and from others in this thread) would bring it to perfection, I suppose. This post was intended to be a constructive critique and in no manner something intended to offend your work. I'm not an application developer or anything alike so this is my two cents .
ZTE Geek V975
ROM: Stock B03 rooted
CPU: Intel Atom Z2580

Samsung Galaxy S GT-i9000
ROM: CyanogenMod 11 nightlies
Baseband: XXJVT
Kernel: Semaphore KK 3.4.3
CPU @ 1.2GHz, 120% LiveOC

Phones I own(ed):
 
3310 (still going strong!) > T630* > K700* > K750* > K610* > N73* > N95* > U8220* > GT540 (hard bricked) > U8650 > i9000 > V975

* - sold
 
AbhishekS
Old
#10  
AbhishekS's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 658
Posts: 2,266
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mumbai, India
Seems really interesting. Will certainly keep an eye on this project.
Galaxy Nexus user | Proud Virender Sehwag fan | Visit My Blog | Follow me on Twitter: @AbhishekMSharma | Add me on Google+

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes