Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,220 Members 37,631 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Anyone else really concerned about all the top employees leaving HTC?

Tip us?

karmapuhlease
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Anyone else really concerned about all the top employees leaving HTC?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put in links here (haven't posted in a while), but top HTC employees like Ford Davidson, Scott Croyle, and others (as well as a few last year, like HTC Asia CEO Lennard Hoonik and Chief Product Officer Kouji Kodera) have been leaving HTC recently. Every time I see one of these stories, I get a little more worried. Typically, when a lot of top executives and employees are leaving a company at the same time, it's a cause for concern. Though they might say they're leaving for personal reasons, it's often because they see a bad future for the company.

Is this a legitimate reason to be concerned at this point? I really like the HTC One M8 and I was about to order one today when I saw the article about Davidson (the third about a departing HTC employee in recent days) and I got cold feet. My main concern is that if the company is really going downhill, they might not be able to continue to support the phone for the next two years (or, at least, that support might be inadequate and slow). Is this a serious issue, or am I overreacting and extrapolating too much from a couple of guys possibly wanting a break after releasing a major flagship product?

cepheid46e2
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmapuhlease View Post
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put in links here (haven't posted in a while), but top HTC employees like Ford Davidson, Scott Croyle, and others (as well as a few last year, like HTC Asia CEO Lennard Hoonik and Chief Product Officer Kouji Kodera) have been leaving HTC recently. Every time I see one of these stories, I get a little more worried. Typically, when a lot of top executives and employees are leaving a company at the same time, it's a cause for concern. Though they might say they're leaving for personal reasons, it's often because they see a bad future for the company.

Is this a legitimate reason to be concerned at this point? I really like the HTC One M8 and I was about to order one today when I saw the article about Davidson (the third about a departing HTC employee in recent days) and I got cold feet. My main concern is that if the company is really going downhill, they might not be able to continue to support the phone for the next two years (or, at least, that support might be inadequate and slow). Is this a serious issue, or am I overreacting and extrapolating too much from a couple of guys possibly wanting a break after releasing a major flagship product?
Considering HTC is putting out amazing products I wouldn't worry about the drama and speculation behind people's leaving.

zacwilliam
Old
Thanks Meter 3
It's definitely concerning, but the M8 has been heralded as one of the best phones ever. I definitely agree, and they hold a high customer reputation (at least for me) because of their transparency with the software. Whenever I'm in the phone market, I'll always be looking at HTC first. In two years, we'll see how that's changed.

I think their innovation in the past speaks for itself; they pull in smart people. They may not have people beating down their door for an internship like Google, but they are a strongly branded hardware company. They'll have to really screw up to ruin that image.

andrewnelson
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 23
I am also Considering HTC is putting out amazing products I wouldn't worry about the drama and speculation behind people's leaving.

grentuu
Old
Thanks Meter 149
Who says they weren't pushed?

I UPGRADED TO A 5GHZ CABLE HUB FOR THIS???

IF I DON'T HELP YOU, IT'S NOT BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A TOSS. I JUST DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER.
IF I DO, PLEASE HIT THE THANKS BUTTON.

GetRipped
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by grentuu View Post
Who says they weren't pushed?
This is what I'm thinking. Sounds like HTC might be doing some spring cleaning. Either way this device is such a beast that it'll be supported one way or another for 2 years

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

boe323
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetRipped View Post
This is what I'm thinking. Sounds like HTC might be doing some spring cleaning. Either way this device is such a beast that it'll be supported one way or another for 2 years

Well ...after that scandal a few months back ....im not surprised ppl are leaving and being let go and fired ..selling secrets to other company's isn't good lol.
A whole lot of nothing works properly.

charly-whiskey
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetRipped View Post

There are so many reasons for leaving empoyees. Maybe they have got a really good offer from competitors who whish to raise their level to HTCs quality.

I am shure that the actual One M8 is a product which was developed many months ago, so their leaving does not influence my product at all. Finges crossed.
HTC One (M8), Stock Rom 4.4.2, Sense 6,0, rooted / unlocked / S-On
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, (8020) LTE/WiFi, Stock Rom 4.1.2,

Where it all began for me: and where I am now: