Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,495 Members 37,279 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Review of Sandisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card w/lots of pics!!!

Tip us?

vectron
Old
(Last edited by vectron; 14th March 2014 at 08:33 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,046
Default Review of Sandisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card w/lots of pics!!!

This is a review of Sandisk Ultra 128GB microSDHC UHS-I card with adapter (SDSDQUA-128G-G46A). http://www.sandisk.com/products/memo...capacity=128GB - Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-...dp/B00IIJ6W4S/

Sandisk announcement of the first 128GB micro SD took internet by storm. Our phones evolved into multimedia powerhouses with 5.5"-6" displays, desktop grade processing power, OTG support for external peripheral accessories, powerful cameras, and more. The only thing was missing a super high capacity internal removable storage at an affordable price. 128GB micro SD announcement finally filled that gap, supported by amazon current sale of $119 shipped, but the question still remained if some of the older smartphones will be able to handle/recognize this capacity. In the last few week there has been a lot of discussions in our Note 2 section about compatibility with this card considering original Note 2 spec was calling for support of up to 64GB only. To put everyone's mind to rest, I was able to get a review sample of Ultra 128GB card directly from Sandisk and tested it on my Note 2.

Now, about the card itself. Its their Ultra edition with a read speeds of up 30MB/s and Class 10 performance. As part of Ultra edition it's considered to be waterproof, temperature-proof, x-ray-proof, magnet-proof, and also shockproof. In addition to a flash card itself, it also includes SD adapter for compatibility with digital cameras and also direct reading on laptops/PCs support SD card. I took a number of close up pictures in my review and provided a direct Amazon link for a sole purpose to be careful when placing an order and verifying your card when you receive it. A lot of the people don't realize when buying from Amazon you are dealing with multiple sellers. Last year when I purchased my 32GB Sandisk card from amazon and it stopped working after about 4-5 months, I contacted Sandisk support and was asked to provide a picture from the back of the card only to learn that I've purchased a fake one (there was no marking on the back). Sandisk still handled my RMA and sent me replacement (excellent tech support!!!). Therefore, I strongly encourage to pay attention before clicking "Add to cart" button to verify who is the actual seller, and try to buy from Amazon directly.

Ok, since I got the official intro out of the way, here comes the verdict: IT WORKS with Note 2!!! My Note 2 is all stock, Verizon SCH-I605 version, running stock Android 4.3. I checked the card first with an adapter on my laptop and then mounted it on my Note 2 where it was recognized with a right capacity. I also ran A1 SD Benchmark app (both long and accurate benchmark tests) to verify it with success. As you can see, read/write speed were not quite near 30MB/s, but it's still pretty good. If anybody has other app suggestions or test to run, please let me know.

My opinion? This card takes our multimedia powerhouse Note 2 to the next level!!! Now you don't have to be limited and can store your favorite albums in FLAC audio format, or have a small library of your favorite movies stored permanently, or take more high def videos, and so on. Just always stay up to date with backups. If flash card fails, it will be covered under warranty, but your pictures and videos will be lost forever.

Here are the pictures.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you find my post helpful, please hit Thanks

Complete list of all smartphone and tablet accessory REVIEWS by Vectron -> HERE

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to vectron For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vasishta.sushant
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Excellent post @vectron. Trust me your are the only one guy I look forward to for all the newest accessories for out Note 2. Somewhere I knew that this post was coming. Perfect coverage, as always.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Dell Streak 16GB -> Nokia 5233 -> Samsung Focus -> Dell XCD35 -> Samsung Note -> Nexus7 (Selling it soon) -> Samsung Galaxy Note II (current)

vectron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasishta.sushant View Post
Excellent post @vectron. Trust me your are the only one guy I look forward to for all the newest accessories for out Note 2. Somewhere I knew that this post was coming. Perfect coverage, as always.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Thank you for your kind words! Just please keep in mind, unless it's a Note 2 specific accessory review, all of my other reviews are posted in XDA common Accessories section where I have a sticky with an index of all of my reviews: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2192333

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vectron For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eddddddy
Old
Thanks Meter 2
mate you should test for speeds by ATTO or at least CDM to call it full revew...

vectron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddddddy View Post
mate you should test for speeds by ATTO or at least CDM to call it full revew...
But these test are relevant to benchmark read/write speed of PC accessing microSD card? It's a good idea, but smartphone controller will not access this card at the same speed as your computer. I wonder if they have mobile version of CDM. Will search for it.

eddddddy
Old
Thanks Meter 2
yes computer readers is usually faster but you could try in-phone connected by usb.

vectron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddddddy View Post
yes computer readers is usually faster but you could try in-phone connected by usb.
But in-phone connected doesn't appear as a logical drive. In order to use CDM, you need to have a mounted logical drive. Note 2 connects as MTP or PTP, not usb mass storage. There is no way around it, unless you have some ideas?

eddddddy
Old
Thanks Meter 2
didn't know, pretty uncomfortable.

ganggreen777
Old
Thanks Meter 78
I just received mine today. Did you happen to format to fat32 orrrr what did you do?

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk

vectron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganggreen777 View Post
I just received mine today. Did you happen to format to fat32 orrrr what did you do?

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk
I didn't format it; just used it as is. Sorry, I know you mentioned in your PM that it can make a difference with a rooted N2. Since mine is stock, perhaps someone else can chime in with format recommendation?

The Following User Says Thank You to vectron For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]