Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,193 Members 36,609 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Review of Patuoxun Multimedia Dock (HDMI, 2xUSB) (Note II, S3, S4)

Tip us?

SchecterRocker
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Default Review of Patuoxun Multimedia Dock (HDMI, 2xUSB) (Note II, S3, S4)

I recently purchased a Patuoxun Multimedia Dock advertised to be compatible with the Note II, S3, and S4. Please see the bottom of the post for product information.

I am quite happy to report that this $24 dock functions almost exactly as I expected. I have only seen videos of the Samsung Multimedia dock, but from what I can tell this off-brand dock works nearly the same. USB ports and HDMI output can be used simultaneously. For example, I can watch Netflix on the big screen and control the phone with a mouse at the same time.

The two USB ports can be used for standard mice, keyboards, USB drives, SD card readers, and unpowered generic USB hubs. Just for fun, I chained three USB hubs together, plugged in a mouse, and it worked flawlessly. (Not sure if this proves anything, but I thought it was cool.) I have read that NTFS drives are usable after the installation of a special kernel or driver.

However, there are a few points worth mentioning. There is ever-so-slight, but perceptible HDMI lag. (My standalone MHL adapter exhibits this behavior, too.) Mice and keyboards are definitely usable, but you can tell the lag is there. I have a few hypotheses: 1. Perhaps the dock indeed lags some. 2. Perhaps my ROM/Kernel/whatever is a part of it. 3. Perhaps a bit of both.

Also, when a USB mouse is plugged in, HDMI output auto-rotates to landscape, the phone screen turns off, and roughly ~1/2s of HDMI lag occurs (presumably due to a software bug that occurs when a USB mouse is used). Many threads say this happens with the official Samsung dock also. This issue does not occur with ShareKM (due to the nature of the app), and others report that Bluetooth mice do not suffer the 1/2s of lag.

If anyone knows of a solution to the HDMI lag and USB mouse lag issues, I'd love to hear them.

I'll do my best to respond to questions about the dock if anyone has them.

****PRODUCT INFORMATION / DESCRIPTION****

I don't think I'm allowed to post links, so here's the info. Search the product description in Google. I purchased my from eBay as described below:

eBay Product Description: Smart Dock MHL HDMI OTG Docking Station Charger Cradle For Samsung Galaxy S3 S4
eBay seller: Firstmatch

I'm assuming this is the same product, since it looks identical to mine:

Amazon Product Description: Patuoxun Smart Dock MHL HDMI OTG Docking Station Charger Cradle for Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 S4 i9500 Note 2 N7100

Double0EK
Old
Thanks Meter 836
Here's the Amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F6YRDBO/..._am_us?ie=UTF8
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Double0EK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

apallohadas
Old
Thanks Meter 393
Eh, was interested until I saw this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon link
Do not support the phone has root ROM. Not Support Contract Smartphones,Such as the AT&T, Sprint, Verizon Cellphones
Well that's a rather large group that is unsupported!

SchecterRocker
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by apallohadas View Post
Eh, was interested until I saw this part:

Well that's a rather large group that is unsupported!
My rooted and ROM'd AT&T Note II works quite fine with this dock. If you're in the market for a considerably cheaper solution than Samsung's $100 dock, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

In fact, if enough people are interested, I'll see if I can try it out with other Note II's, S3's, and S4's.

Perhaps the Amazon description means they do not provide technical support, because my phone is obviously supported functionally.

I don't remember this being in the eBay description, or I wouldn't have purchased it. Quite frankly, I'm glad I didn't see it becuase there was no way I was shelling out Samsung's asking price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

apallohadas
Old
Thanks Meter 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchecterRocker View Post
My rooted and ROM'd AT&T Note II works quite fine with this dock. If you're in the market for a considerably cheaper solution than Samsung's $100 dock, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

In fact, if enough people are interested, I'll see if I can try it out with other Note II's, S3's, and S4's.

Perhaps the Amazon description means they do not provide technical support, because my phone is obviously supported functionally.

I don't remember this being in the eBay description, or I wouldn't have purchased it. Quite frankly, I'm glad I didn't see it becuase there was no way I was shelling out Samsung's asking price.

The distinction for Amazon however, is that if you buy something and it doesn't work, and you know there's a chance it may not work, then you pay the return and restocking fee.

I know it's not much in the grand scheme of things, but 'caveat emptor' as they say.

SchecterRocker
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Ah, I see. I didn't know Amazon had that rule - I'll keep it in mind for future purchases.

frag999
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchecterRocker View Post

Also, when a USB mouse is plugged in, HDMI output auto-rotates to landscape, the phone screen turns off, and roughly ~1/2s of HDMI lag occurs (presumably due to a software bug that occurs when a USB mouse is used). Many threads say this happens with the official Samsung dock also. This issue does not occur with ShareKM (due to the nature of the app), and others report that Bluetooth mice do not suffer the 1/2s of lag.

If anyone knows of a solution to the HDMI lag and USB mouse lag issues, I'd love to hear them.

I'll do my best to respond to questions about the dock if anyone has them.
Thanks for the review of this cheaper knock off of the Samsung dock. I want one for my S3. Is it possibly an issue related to your TV's HDMI port settings? For instance some Tv's allow "game mode" for the port to eliminate as much of the processing within the TV as possible to reduce lag.
The Following User Says Thank You to frag999 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SchecterRocker
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Thanks for the suggestion. I do have my TV set to "Game Mode" to minimize lag, but this dock and my generic MHL adapter both still exhibit some lag.

darekz
Old
Thanks Meter 43
I have official dock and have a lag and frame drop when mouse is connected. My understanding is that is due of software picture rendering to accommodate mouse cursor and wide screen movies. If you unplug mouse lag should be lower and picture quality msy be better but movies in Netflix will have incorrect aspect ratio (youtube doesn't have that issue). Depends on your primary use - Netflix, YouTube $35 Chromecast its easier to set up and allow for 1080p video.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to darekz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ahar123
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi. I read this review and bought the dock for my galaxy note 3. I cannot seem to connect the phone to my TV through a hdmi lead.

Did yours just appear on the TV when you dock the phone? Or is there some setup required ?