Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Droid Life review says battery life sucks ?

OP Zorachus

8th April 2014, 02:01 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lombard, IL.
Thanks Meter: 327

2,525 posts
More
DroidLife; HTC One (M8) Review
http://www.droid-life.com/2014/04/07/htc-one-m8-review/

Battery life sucks on the M8 ?

HTC claims that the new One (M8) could see upwards of 40% better battery life over last yearís M7, but Iím not Iím buying it. I saw average battery life in my testing on the 2,600mAh battery that wasnít necessarily greatly improved over last yearís One. My testing typically includes multiple days in a row of nothing but 4G LTE, followed by a few with WiFi mixed in. On 4G LTE-only days, my phone was almost always begging for a charger after 10-12 hours of use and around 3 hours of screen-on time.

Per this review they say battery life is average at best, and not that good, only getting 3h On Screen time, and overall just like 10h - 12h of total battery life on the phone, and with WiFi on they get 14 hours total battery life.

I thought all the real world reviews of people, and other sites were raving about the battery life on this new One M8 ? getting like 5h to 6h On Screen time ?
8th April 2014, 04:21 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 14

86 posts
I think like any phone the usage patterns vary so much that there's only so much you can conclude from individual reports. On average it seems people are getting great battery life so I would go with it will be decent. Anandtech has a more controlled testing method and the M8 even beats the LG G2 in many tests so I would say it will get great battery life under normal circumstances. Droid life is very subjective with battery life while Anand is much more objective which is why I put more faith in their tests. In the end though I had the G2 while on sprint and my battery wasn't anywhere close to what most people were getting but I also had very weak signal most of the time. Now that I'm back on ATT I'm hoping when I get the M8 I will get better battery than the G2 on Sprint.
8th April 2014, 04:28 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 192

953 posts
More
He's smoking crack. I had a bad app for the first few days of owning my M8. Uninstalled it (after finding it in battery stats on Gsam) and it hasn't even been the same phone. Blows away my M7 on battery life and is pretty close to beating most of the other phones I have used, including the G2 and Note 3.

Idle drain was around 3% in 8 hours (tested this weekend) without battery saver mode on, which is insane for an Android phone and it lasted me almost two full days over the weekend. It can't hold a candle to my 1520, but it's still much improved over the M7 and many of the recent Android flagships.
8th April 2014, 07:39 PM   |  #4  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 13

63 posts
More
I was on 1 day 17 hours on battery before plugging mine in this morning with pretty normal daytime use including a bunch of reboots to flash stuff. Good enough for me.
Last edited by TipoF130; 8th April 2014 at 07:42 PM.
9th April 2014, 02:13 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
K I'm blind. Where do you find the screen on time in the phone?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Last edited by tacote; 9th April 2014 at 02:23 AM.
9th April 2014, 05:35 PM   |  #6  
Flag Ventura, CA
Thanks Meter: 417

1,765 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacote

K I'm blind. Where do you find the screen on time in the phone?

Under Battery Manager in settings. I suggest using an app like Gsam Battery Monitor though. Works much better!
9th April 2014, 05:41 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
K tyvm

9th April 2014, 08:07 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 284

1,932 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhulk

He's smoking crack. I had a bad app for the first few days of owning my M8. Uninstalled it (after finding it in battery stats on Gsam) and it hasn't even been the same phone. Blows away my M7 on battery life and is pretty close to beating most of the other phones I have used, including the G2 and Note 3.

Idle drain was around 3% in 8 hours (tested this weekend) without battery saver mode on, which is insane for an Android phone and it lasted me almost two full days over the weekend. It can't hold a candle to my 1520, but it's still much improved over the M7 and many of the recent Android flagships.

What you use to find the culprit in GSAM? Was it the bottom left icon that's called "App Sucker" when you open it?
9th April 2014, 08:14 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 192

953 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandam500

What you use to find the culprit in GSAM? Was it the bottom left icon that's called "App Sucker" when you open it?

It was a OWA webmail app I had installed and yes, it showed up in the app list. It only had 1.5% reported drain, but uninstalling it made a huge improvement on my battery life. I guess the rule is: if it shows up there at all, it's impacting your battery.

9th April 2014, 08:15 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 284

1,932 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhulk

It was a OWA webmail app I had installed and yes, it showed up in the app list. It only had 1.5% reported drain, but uninstalling it made a huge improvement on my battery life. I guess the rule is: if it shows up there at all, it's impacting your battery.

Ah gotcha! I've had really good battery life but if I notice anything funny I'll take a look in Gsam. Thanks!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread