[Q] VS980 Mobile Data says its Roaming

Search This thread

Optimus124

Apr 21, 2010
Hello All,

Something changed in my phone and not really sure as to what has happened. All of a sudden my phone loses data connectivity and thinks that it is roaming. If I enable airplane mode and disable it, then the phone works for about 10-15 minutes and then loses connectivity again. Running the 12B baseband (been using it for months with no issue) and haven't changed the ROM in quite some time. This started happening on yesterday.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

EtherBoo

Jun 22, 2008
The 4G radio seems to have crapped out completely. Getting a replacement sent on tomorrow

Damnit. I am having the EXACT same problem, running CM11.

How did you come to that conclusion? I am thinking I'm going to have to restore to stock if I'm going to get Verizon to do anything about it.

Optimus124

Apr 21, 2010
Damnit. I am having the EXACT same problem, running CM11.

How did you come to that conclusion? I am thinking I'm going to have to restore to stock if I'm going to get Verizon to do anything about it.

I reverted all the way back to 11A stock unrooted. The phone was in 4G for about 5 minutes (if that) and then remained in 3G mode.

bashall

Dec 3, 2010
I had this problem before when I tried other roms like cm rom and omni rom. I tried to do *228 to fix problem, but made it made it worse. I restored it back to stock and took it to the Verizon store. They put a new sim card in it for free and it fixed the problem. Now i am running stock with simple kernel.

dr_w

Jun 16, 2007
California
Same exact problem here. I was on the phone with Verizon last night. I was running cloudy pro 2 (all his roms for that matter as they are international roms) and kept getting the roaming issue you speak of...with 3g. I went back to 11A completely bone stock. Just like you mentioned, I get 4g but then after like 10 minutes I get 3g with roaming. Of course this is after I spent 30 minutes on the phone with tech support. They 'zapped' my sim card and it appeared to work but no dice. Now before doing all this I downloaded build prop editor and changed the ro.build.target_country to US versus COM as everyone suggested in all the forums, still no dice. I've tried the toggle airplane mode trick...works for like 5 minutes and back to 3g roaming. I think maybe a new sim card and avoid international roms...bummer because cloudys roms are blistering fast. Interesting thing though, I installed xdabebbs rom and malladus' rom, after already running cloudys roms, and get 3g but no roaming. I also verified that Verizon wasn't throttling me or something like that. One more thing I tried is reflashing the basebands and 24A modem, no dice. If there is a build prop fix or some other fix I'd love to hear it.

Edit: One think I'd like to mention. When I had an S4 I switched between stock roms and AOSP roms and the network settings were responsible for causing the roaming because the stock rom was an older build than the AOSP. So when I had roaming, I'd reflashed the AOSP rom, changed the settings then flash the stock rom. It worked great.

Edit#2: Ok making a little progress. Just did this:

Get a build.prop editor from the play store, and change ro.carrier to VZW and ro.build.target_operator to VZW and ro.build.target_country to US.

Initially it worked but when I make calls it gives me Unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped and I cant make calls. I went into Settings, Apps, reset app preferences...that didn't fix it either.

4G/LTE is pretty solid now but again, I cant make calls.
Edit#3: Nevermind...roaming again.

Last edited:

EtherBoo

Jun 22, 2008
Alright, I'd be lying if this makes any sense to me, but the issue appears to be related strictly to the SIM card.

I had them swap the SIM, it fixed the issue, then it came back. I'm on a new phone now, and it appears to be working. The old SIM did not work on either phone, but the new one does. What makes no sense is the old SIM would work fine in my Galaxy Nexus, but would not work in the G2. Now the new SIM is working perfectly in the new G2 (haven't tried the old one).

I'm baffled.

I've never seen anything make so little sense. The guy at the store told me I would need to replace the SIM again in a few days. Whatever, if it happens again, I'll do just that.

EtherBoo

Jun 22, 2008
The original phone was running CM 11 Nightlies.

I'm currently on stock - not sure if I'm going to stay with CM because the official thread indicates official development is DitW for the G2 :(.

dr_w

Jun 16, 2007
California
That's actually strange... I'd expect roaming issues with an Intl ROM but not cm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk