Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,322 Members 50,564 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New recoveries for new phones that won't mount storage!!

Tip us?

KennyG123
Old
(Last edited by KennyG123; 17th December 2013 at 12:37 PM.)
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod - OP
Thanks Meter 25424

DONATE TO ME
Default New recoveries for new phones that won't mount storage!!

If you just purchased a new S3 or got a replacement and you found out you could not mount anything in your custom recovery, good news!!!! After much collaboration and the input of @ktoonsez and the hard work of @CNexus, a modified recovery has been created!!! It has been tested by a few to work (big thanks to @notmyepic for being the first) and allow you to flash away again!

Here are the instructions:
If the people having mounting issues in custom recoveries can please try one of the following modded recoveries from each MOD group and report back, it would be appreciated.

Mod 2
You can flash the recoveries using adb as follows:

Make sure USB Debugging is on

(ADB binary and img file need to be in the same directory)

Code:
adb push .img /sdcard/.img
adb shell
su
dd if=/sdcard/.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
If you don't have the ADB binary and don't want to download the entire android sdk, you can grab the bare necessities for ADB in a ZIP file HERE

Again big thanks to Cnexus for putting this all together!!!!!

Also these are posted in the TWRP and CWM threads. If you have more than one phone the poll allows for multiple choices if you checked an older and new phone.

ODIN PACKAGES

Thanks to @Skunk Ape1 there are these Odinable recoveries you can try:

CWM Recovery Mod This is a tar file that can be flashed in odin

TWRP Recovery Mod This is a tar file that can be flashed in odin

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here
The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to KennyG123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pulse_32382
Old
(Last edited by pulse_32382; 4th August 2013 at 02:30 PM.) Reason: Tested Twrp
Thanks Meter 4
Thumbs up Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyglass123 View Post
If you just purchased a new S3 or got a replacement and you found out you could not mount anything in your custom recovery, good news!!!! After much collaboration and the input of @ktoonsez and the hard work of @CNexus, a modified recovery has been created!!! It has been tested by a few to work (big thanks to @notmyepic for being the first) and allow you to flash away again!

What we need though is for more people to test these out and confirm that they work and to mark the poll so Cnexus can choose which to release in their own threads. We would also like a few people with working phones to test to see if these are universal to both models.

Here are the instructions:
If the people having mounting issues in custom recoveries can please try one of the following modded recoveries from each MOD group and report back, it would be appreciated.

Mod 1
Mod 2
You can flash the recoveries using adb as follows:

Make sure USB Debugging is on

(ADB binary and img file need to be in the same directory)

Code:
adb push <file>.img /sdcard/<file>.img
adb shell
su
dd if=/sdcard/<file>.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
If you don't have the ADB binary and don't want to download the entire android sdk, you can grab the bare necessities for ADB in a ZIP file HERE

Again big thanks to Cnexus for putting this all together!!!!!

So try them out, flash and vote in the poll to let us know which works for you.
Thanks

Also these are posted in the TWRP and CWM threads. If you have more than one phone the poll allows for multiple choices if you checked an older and new phone.
I tested both versions of CWM on a new s3 (sprint), CWM_mod2.img Works!!... however, CWM_mod.img did not. I will now test out both TWRP Recoveries...

...the following work for the S3 sprint Variant...

CWM_mod2.img
TWRP_mod2.img

Thanks to everyone that made this possible, I have been struggling with this for about 2 weeks now. I even Softbricked two S3's trying to figure it out...so many thanks.

Curioius: What exactly was different with the S3's that caused a modded recovery having to be created?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pulse_32382 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

edfunkycold
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 4450
Told you it was fixed:thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from the future via Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to edfunkycold For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KennyG123
Old
Thanks Meter 25424

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulse_32382 View Post
I tested both versions of CWM on a new s3 (sprint), CWM_mod2.img Works!!... however, CWM_mod.img did not. I will now test out both TWRP Recoveries...

...the following work for the S3 sprint Variant...

CWM_mod2.img
TWRP_mod2.img

Thanks to everyone that made this possible, I have been struggling with this for about 2 weeks now. I even Softbricked two S3's trying to figure it out...so many thanks.

Curioius: What exactly was different with the S3's that caused a modded recovery having to be created?
They added an extra kernel flag. The problem is they still show as rev 4 hardware and MD4 so they made a change without marking it in anyway we can determine other than the old recoveries don't mount any storage.
Again a big thanks to @ktoonsez for recognizing exactly what the problem was when I described it to him as similar to the S4. And also a huge thanks to @CNexus for being able to incorporate that knowledge from that explanation. This community always comes together to help!!!!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to KennyG123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jdelano
Old
(Last edited by jdelano; 4th August 2013 at 03:39 PM.) Reason: CWM didn't change
Thanks Meter 686
backing up now; I'll test CWM files on my already working phone

EDIT1: cwm_mod.img.
I followed the instructions - encountered no errors. When I boot to recover I still have cwm 6.0.3.1 touch ??

no issues accessing internal or external storage.

EDIT2: cwm_mod2.img - same results.

Please let me know if I should have seen a change in the version or if it just modified the version that was already installed?
Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 32GB - Stock NC5 rooted
Themed using XPosed Framework and Wanam
NC5 Bootloader
Philz 6.41.6 Recovery

ktoonsez
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 37580

DONATE TO ME
Woooooohoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you like my work, donate with this link:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/dona....php?u=4325945

CNexus
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13256

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoonsez View Post
Woooooohoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Double woohooooooo!!!

Lol
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CNexus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KennyG123
Old
Thanks Meter 25424

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelano View Post
backing up now; I'll test CWM files on my already working phone

EDIT1: cwm_mod.img.
I followed the instructions - encountered no errors. When I boot to recover I still have cwm 6.0.3.1 touch ??

no issues accessing internal or external storage.

EDIT2: cwm_mod2.img - same results.

Please let me know if I should have seen a change in the version or if it just modified the version that was already installed?
No change in version...it is the same version of CWM but with KT's kernel imbedded to properly set flags by Cnexus. Hopefully @Koush will get word and make a new updated official version.

The Following User Says Thank You to KennyG123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jdelano
Old
Thanks Meter 686
ah ok. good news neither mod effected my phone. which I got on launch date
Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 32GB - Stock NC5 rooted
Themed using XPosed Framework and Wanam
NC5 Bootloader
Philz 6.41.6 Recovery
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdelano For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jmills17
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default Many Thanks!

Thank you to everyone involved! Quick question can these commands be ran using the terminal app on the phone?