FORUMS

What Are the Best Looking Apps on Android?

As more developers are updating their apps with Material Design elements, we’re … more

Cyngn Explained: Who’s Cyanogen, What’s Cyanogen OS?

While Cyanogen, Inc has been the source of many headlines lately, there … more

Verizon Moto X 2014 Receives Root On Kitkat 4.4.4

The Verizon Moto X 2014 has finally received root, albeit only on Kitkat 4.4.4 … more

Android 5.1.1 Released, Google Cell Service – XDA TV

Android Lollipop 5.1.1 has been released. That and much more news is covered … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Note 10.1 2014 OTG & Charging

6th December 2013, 05:06 PM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I've got a Note 10.1 2014 mounted in the dash of my truck to replace the radio and am on a mission to figure out how to get USB OTG to work with charging. I've read an ocean of threads regarding hacking MHL adapters, but there is not any information specific to the Note 10.1 2014.

Right now I've got a relay system in the dash that switches between a OTG cable and a charge cable depending if the ignition is on or off. This works for my basic purposes, but if I use GPS navigation and wifi tethering, I run the battery pretty low after only 3-4 hours. When I turn off the truck it begins charging, but that wont work for a road trip.

I've tried the Samsung smart dock (without reading that it wouldn't work), and of course, it doesn't work, although it would be the perfect solution.

My idea is that there would be some way to use the 11 pin MHL connector on the device to get what I'm after. Looking at the pinout, it seems that there are some USB host pins within the 6 additional MHL pins, but I do not know of anyone who has tapped into them and had OTG working.

Is anyone else trying to get this to work on a Note 10.1 2014? I'm happy to hack up and solder anything and everything imaginable to give it a try, but I'd like to collaborate about it and see if we as a group can get this working.

26th December 2013, 02:21 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Im about ready to rip apart my smartdock and see exactly why it wont work with this tablet.... have no idea why it qont recognise the tablet...
30th December 2013, 07:21 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgancole

I've got a Note 10.1 2014 mounted in the dash of my truck to replace the radio and am on a mission to figure out how to get USB OTG to work with charging. I've read an ocean of threads regarding hacking MHL adapters, but there is not any information specific to the Note 10.1 2014.

Right now I've got a relay system in the dash that switches between a OTG cable and a charge cable depending if the ignition is on or off. This works for my basic purposes, but if I use GPS navigation and wifi tethering, I run the battery pretty low after only 3-4 hours. When I turn off the truck it begins charging, but that wont work for a road trip.

I've tried the Samsung smart dock (without reading that it wouldn't work), and of course, it doesn't work, although it would be the perfect solution.

My idea is that there would be some way to use the 11 pin MHL connector on the device to get what I'm after. Looking at the pinout, it seems that there are some USB host pins within the 6 additional MHL pins, but I do not know of anyone who has tapped into them and had OTG working.

Is anyone else trying to get this to work on a Note 10.1 2014? I'm happy to hack up and solder anything and everything imaginable to give it a try, but I'd like to collaborate about it and see if we as a group can get this working.

Man, you really gotta get us a screenie of this! That's bad ass.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
4th June 2014, 08:15 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Meanwhile, is there a possibility for that knock-out?
Last edited by burningstep; 4th June 2014 at 08:20 PM.
6th June 2014, 04:10 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
High current charging has an impact on the signal lines. So USB 2.0 current is limited to 500mA, or probably the 900mA from USB3, if the port can provide it. On a standard USB2 port the Note remains self-powered. And even with 900mA it will slowly discharge while in use, despite the battery charging at max current. On a 2A charger, the operating power bypasses the battery, which is much more healthy for it.
7th June 2014, 05:43 AM |#6  

More
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I asked imprecise. What I liked to ask is, if there is meanwhile a possibility to charge the tablet while using the usb connection e.g. with an external hard disk?
11th June 2014, 09:29 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Almost certainly not. Samsung could have provided a charger jack, or even support wireless charging. But it was not meant to be.
28th June 2014, 01:43 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I just tried one of the charge and 2 female usb adapters off ebay and it didnt charge. It detected the usb connectors connection, but wouldnt charge.

$5 lost...
28th June 2014, 04:01 PM |#9  

More
Did you used the wall plug? Because the tab needs 2A for charging...

sent from htc one...
1st July 2014, 12:20 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Why not take away the USB requirement? I assume you want this to allow external storage, in this case get some sort of NAS that can be 12V powered and install that in your truck then allow the Note to connect to this via Wifi, then the USB port can be dedicated entirely for charging only.

Plus you have the benefit that when at home you can transfer file to your NAS without needing to leave you PC.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread