Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,324 Members 42,190 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

No knox status in ODIN mode? Need to warranty rooted i537

Tip us?
 
CaseyR22
Old
(Last edited by CaseyR22; 18th April 2014 at 05:31 PM.)
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default No knox status in ODIN mode? Need to warranty rooted i537

So I bought this i537 used a while back, the previous owned never registered it with samsung but I did when I bought it so I do have a warranty on it. I know it was previously rooted then unrooted before I bought it but I don't know if it ever had a custom rom on it. I rooted the phone with activeroot (still on 4.2.2 stock rom) and have since unrooted it with superSU.

I am having problems with the touchscreen and samsung has confirmed warranty coverage and gave me a shipping label but I want to be totally sure it a-ok before I send it in.

When I boot into odin mode there is no KNOX status, is that normal for this device? Did 4.2.2 not come with knox on this device?
Also the status says custom? When the phone WAS rooted it said official ??? seems bass ackwards.

Also, I would like to reload stock 4.2.2 via ODIN just to make sure everything is kosher before sending it it, would this void my warranty?

My phone is also sim unlocked, i imagine this is okay as far as warranty goes? Would reflashing with ODIN break my sim unlock?

Thanks so much!
 
Devo7v
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 309
Posts: 890
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyR22 View Post
So I bought this i537 used a while back, the previous owned never registered it with samsung but I did when I bought it so I do have a warranty on it. I know it was previously rooted then unrooted before I bought it but I don't know if it ever had a custom rom on it. I have rooted the phone with activeroot (still on 4.2.2 stock rom).

When I boot into odin mode there is no KNOX status, is that normal for this device? Did 4.2.2 not come with knox on this device?

Also, I would like to reload stock 4.2.2 via ODIN just to make sure everything is kosher before sending it it, would this void my warranty?

My phone is also sim unlocked, i imagine this is okay as far as warranty goes? Would reflashing with ODIN break my sim unlock?

Thanks so much!
Let's start from the top:
  • This phone came with MF2 (4.2.2), which was then immediately updated to MF3 (4.2.2). Both of these versions came with Knox enabled. If he just rooted then he probably didn't trip the Knox flag, but there could have been other things he did or tried to do that did trip the flag.
  • If it is indeed the i537, I can guarantee he did not flash a custom ROM. The i537 has a locked bootloader which means no custom recovery and no custom ROMs. However there is the ability to use TouchWiz-based ROMs, if you want to learn more about this and how it works read about SafeStrap.
  • We do not have official 4.2.2 stock firmware available to flash. We have a pre-release of 4.2.2, a pre-release of 4.3, official 4.3, and an OTA to go from 4.3 to 4.4.2. You can read more about the different firmwares in the i537 Firmware Thread.
  • Flashing firmware with Odin will erase your SIM unlock, but you can either enter the unlock code again or there are other methods that can be used. I'm not familiar with SIM unlocking so you'll have to do a little searching.

You never mentioned what you're sending the phone in for. I would try flashing the MF1 firmware first to see if it's a software issue. If it's a hardware issue then unfortunately you'll have to send it in.
 
CaseyR22
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo7v View Post
Let's start from the top:
  • This phone came with MF2 (4.2.2), which was then immediately updated to MF3 (4.2.2). Both of these versions came with Knox enabled. If he just rooted then he probably didn't trip the Knox flag, but there could have been other things he did or tried to do that did trip the flag.
  • If it is indeed the i537, I can guarantee he did not flash a custom ROM. The i537 has a locked bootloader which means no custom recovery and no custom ROMs. However there is the ability to use TouchWiz-based ROMs, if you want to learn more about this and how it works read about SafeStrap.
  • We do not have official 4.2.2 stock firmware available to flash. We have a pre-release of 4.2.2, a pre-release of 4.3, official 4.3, and an OTA to go from 4.3 to 4.4.2. You can read more about the different firmwares in the i537 Firmware Thread.
  • Flashing firmware with Odin will erase your SIM unlock, but you can either enter the unlock code again or there are other methods that can be used. I'm not familiar with SIM unlocking so you'll have to do a little searching.

You never mentioned what you're sending the phone in for. I would try flashing the MF1 firmware first to see if it's a software issue. If it's a hardware issue then unfortunately you'll have to send it in.

Thank you for the quick response. I edited the first post to add more details but you must've already quoted me before I hit send.

Basically the problem is the screen will randomly detect 1, 3 or 5 nonexistent touches across the center of the screen (confirmed by enabling "show touches" in the developer options). While this is happening the touchscreen becomes unusable, rebooting several times will eventually fix it but the problem comes back randomly, sometime within a couple minutes and sometimes after several hours.

I did confirm my device is running MF3 and it is absolutely a i537. I'm using the phone on straight talk not ATT so I have not received any OTA updates beyond this point.

So,anyhow I understand I can fix the device status:custom with triangleaway but I don't understand why there is no KNOX counter in ODIN mode and how this may effect my warranty.


Also, if I did ODIN to 4.3 or 4.4 would this trip the knox counter? (Assuming it isnt tripped already).

Thanks for your input, truly appreciated!
 
Devo7v
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 309
Posts: 890
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyR22 View Post
Thank you for the quick response. I edited the first post to add more details but you must've already quoted me before I hit send.

Basically the problem is the screen will randomly detect 1, 3 or 5 nonexistent touches across the center of the screen (confirmed by enabling "show touches" in the developer options). While this is happening the touchscreen becomes unusable, rebooting several times will eventually fix it but the problem comes back randomly, sometime within a couple minutes and sometimes after several hours.

I did confirm my device is running MF3 and it is absolutely a i537. I'm using the phone on straight talk not ATT so I have not received any OTA updates beyond this point.

So,anyhow I understand I can fix the device status:custom with triangleaway but I don't understand why there is no KNOX counter in ODIN mode and how this may effect my warranty.


Also, if I did ODIN to 4.3 or 4.4 would this trip the knox counter? (Assuming it isnt tripped already).

Thanks for your input, truly appreciated!
It sounds like it might be a software issue so it would be worth it to try to flash the official 4.3 firmware. Flashing official firmware shouldn't trip the Know flag, but I'm not really an expert on Knox. I have read that Knox being tripped doesn't affect warranty repairs.
 
CaseyR22
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo7v View Post
It sounds like it might be a software issue so it would be worth it to try to flash the official 4.3 firmware. Flashing official firmware shouldn't trip the Know flag, but I'm not really an expert on Knox. I have read that Knox being tripped doesn't affect warranty repairs.
Thanks, I went ahead and flashed 4.3 via ODIN and the KNOX status is showing 0x0 so that is a good sign. Has only been about a half hour so I cant say whether or not the touchscreen issue is fixed yet but I will post back and update what happens after a day or so.

Another plus is the update finally got rid of that god awful default font on 4.2 (changing the system font wouldn't change the fontface for plain text in the browser).
 
CaseyR22
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quick update in case anyone is having a similar problem with "phantom touches" in the future.

After flashing to 4.3 the touchscreen problems have continued so i do believe it is a hardware problem that will require disassembly to fix.

Also the phone keeps trying to download the OTA update to 4.4 but I've heard bad things about the update so far so I've left my wifi turned off.

Going to be stuck using a windows 8 phone for a week or while my phone is out for warranty repair.
 
xxkorn.ch1ldxx
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Apr 2014
There is an app in the play store called phone info. There it tells you your knox status without root or being in download mode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using xda app-developers app
 
CaseyR22
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Apr 2013
One final update in case anybody runs into similar problems in the future. Samsung confirmed it was a hardware problem and fixed the phone 100% free of charge under warranty.

It appears they replaced everything which is pretty awesome because I now have a brand new digitizer and bezel without a single scratch or scuff on them. Also my usb port cover flap was feeling pretty worn/sloppy so now thats new and even the USB port itself looks brand new which tells me the motherboard was replaced. I can tell they peeled the old serial/IMEI sticker off the old phone and stuck it on this one.

Surprisingly they didn't update it to 4.4 while it was there which kind of sucks because I'm nervous about doing it myself after reading horror stories on the forums.

Anyway I'm very pleased with Samsung's support!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes