Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,254 Members 36,141 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How does region lock work?

Tip us?

jorge_moran_jams
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question How does region lock work?

Hi guys, I've searched the threads, and the only one that seems to talk about region lock is this one:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2729956

I want to buy a SM-900F (international version) and I want to bring it to my country (South America). How will region lock affect me? I know it's SIM unlocked, but I donŽt think IŽll be able to get ahold of a sim card of another country to be able to activate it... If that's a requirement, though, is it possible to bypass? Any other thing I should know about region lock?

Thanks
xtechx Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge_moran_jams View Post
Hi guys, I've searched the threads, and the only one that seems to talk about region lock is this one:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2729956

I want to buy a SM-900F (international version) and I want to bring it to my country (South America). How will region lock affect me? I know it's SIM unlocked, but I donŽt think IŽll be able to get ahold of a sim card of another country to be able to activate it... If that's a requirement, though, is it possible to bypass? Any other thing I should know about region lock?

Thanks
I can't comment on capability to bypass it. Can you not get the SM-G900M which is the unlocked version for North and South America? Yes, it's also the branded one down there, but G900M is the "Americas unlocked version". I got mine from Expansys, and they have a Brazilian site.

On a random side note, aren't questions supposed to go in the Q&A section?

jorge_moran_jams
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtechx View Post
I can't comment on capability to bypass it. Can you not get the SM-G900M which is the unlocked version for North and South America? Yes, it's also the branded one down there, but G900M is the "Americas unlocked version". I got mine from Expansys, and they have a Brazilian site.

On a random side note, aren't questions supposed to go in the Q&A section?
I'm really sorry, I didn't even realize I was in general, the thing I'm worried about is the hardware, I know for a fact the F version will have lots of support from the community because it's Qualcomm, but as it was the case with the GS4, the Exynos version almost certainly won't get much love... I'm not sure which hardware the G900M has, but I don't think I'll be able to get one in USA... That's why I was planning on buying the F, it's way easier to get ahold of.
xtechx Old
(Last edited by xtechx; 5th May 2014 at 04:20 PM.) Reason: addition
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I'm really sorry, I didn't even realize I was in general, the thing I'm worried about is the hardware, I know for a fact the F version will have lots of support from the community because it's Qualcomm, but as it was the case with the GS4, the Exynos version almost certainly won't get much love... I'm not sure which hardware the G900M has, but I don't think I'll be able to get one in USA... That's why I was planning on buying the F, it's way easier to get ahold of.
No worries, I was just bugging heh.

I have the G900M. It's Qualcomm. I'm running kernel and ROM for G900F as we speak, and it's perfectly fine. Expansys has many sites around the world, including the USA. I wasn't sure what country you were in. You mentioned South America which is why I pointed out they have a site native to Brazil.

ADDITION
nvm, I can't read. I see you're in Ecuador, so a Brazilian site may not help. The G900M would pass with your SIM card though.

maybe someone else can comment on the region lock itself.

atilla88
Old
Thanks Meter 44
You can unlock it by calling the samsung hotline or going to a samsung service center,pls try next time to google your issue before spamming xda, http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_on_r...-news-7184.php

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
---Galaxy s5 + Nexus 7 2013---
The Following User Says Thank You to atilla88 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jorge_moran_jams
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by atilla88 View Post
You can unlock it by calling the samsung hotline or going to a samsung service center,pls try next time to google your issue before spamming xda, http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_on_r...-news-7184.php

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Did you even read your link? That info is regarding the Note 3... In my original post I included a link to another thread in which someone says the region lock works differently for the GS5

atilla88
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Did you even read your link? That info is regarding the Note 3... In my original post I included a link to another thread in which someone says the region lock works differently for the GS5
I dont think that sammy has different region lock policies for their smartphones,you should really just call the sammy service center,this takes 5 minutes and is much faster then waiting on xda
---Galaxy s5 + Nexus 7 2013---