Help Updating (Sorry for noob question)

OP ed116

2nd May 2014, 03:39 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag North York
Thanks Meter: 40

389 posts
More
hey guys have been out of the modding life for a long time now since HTC Amaze came out on market and ive had nexus' (galaxy nexus) since then. i had a quick question. my sister passed down to me a S3 T-Mobile one. its on 4.1.1 and i had at the time put in CWM long time ago as i was gonna flash custom roms but never got around to it (i did this with the help of a youtube video.) now i have this device the Volume UP button doesnt work which is essential to go into download mode... how would i go about updating this to the latest 4.3 Firmware? if there are any detailed steps id really appreciate them. Sorry i know it sucks to get noob posts like these but i have done a bit of research and i cant seem to ask the right questions on google! thanks

btw just for though im switching from nexus 4 to s3 just cause i dont need the power from the n4 and i just want the s3 screen
2nd May 2014, 04:51 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag North York

389 posts
More
so i think i found the piece i think its here: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/T-Mobile-Gala...4d4fdbd&_uhb=1

is there a demo on how to do it or should i take it to Pacific Mall and get someone to do it? how much would it cost anyways?
2nd May 2014, 05:52 AM   |  #3  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 882

2,571 posts
More
You only need volume up to enter recovery.. volume down is for download mode.. anyway there are apps that can get you to download or recovery mode as long as you are rooted.. you could do that meanwhile or just wait till you fix the button.. really all you have to do is flash a 4.3 rom and modem in recovery, no need to update the whole firmware

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to serio22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd May 2014, 06:07 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!
Thanks Meter: 6,497

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
Being on 4.1.1, itd probably be a good idea to update the firmware. Thats just my opinion though.
You can root without volume up working, and or flash roms like serio said.
As for fixing it though, if you are good working on electronics and have good manual dexterity, you could probably do this yourself. But the advantage of taking it to a shop is if they screw it up theyd probably have to replace or reimburse you for it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd May 2014, 06:34 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag North York

389 posts
More
what if i want to flash cyanogenmod11? is there any step by step? i dont want to brick this phone

do i have to update baseband?
Last edited by ed116; 2nd May 2014 at 06:48 AM.
2nd May 2014, 07:15 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
First thing is to get rooted. Easiest way is to flash the root66 firmware via odin. Now decide if you want to use cwm/twrp recovery, or Mobile Odin to flash your rom.
If you want to use recovery, use goo manager or rom manager from the store to install the recovery. Then from the app choose reboot recovery and flash your rom. Factory reset after and reboot. Thats it.

You may need to update your firmware to at least 4.1.2. I think cm had issues running on older firmware.

2nd May 2014, 07:25 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag North York

389 posts
More
isnt cm going to be 4.4.2? hwo do i update ? im fully rooted and running CWM 6.0.4.5 Touch ^^ dont know about TWRP but ive been using CWM for the longest time before so i trust it
2nd May 2014, 09:06 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
If you want to skip updating firmware, just flash the rom from cwm. If it errors out youll need to update to at least 4.1.2 (official or root66) via Odin.

The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd May 2014, 05:02 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag North York

389 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77

If you want to skip updating firmware, just flash the rom from cwm. If it errors out youll need to update to at least 4.1.2 (official or root66) via Odin.

OK i dont understand this part how would i flash 4.1.2? via CWM???

also Lets say i want to go on the official one 4.3 of Samsung ROM

such as this rom Stock Mod Rom

what do i have to do to get that on my 4.1.1 phone ur kind of scaring me but thanks for all the help!
2nd May 2014, 05:07 PM   |  #10  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 882

2,571 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed116

OK i dont understand this part how would i flash 4.1.2? via CWM???

for official or root66 you use Odin or mobile Odin, not cwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed116

also Lets say i want to go on the official one 4.3 of Samsung ROM

such as this rom Stock Mod Rom

what do i have to do to get that on my 4.1.1 phone ur kind of scaring me but thanks for all the help!

flash the ROM and the 4.3 modem, as well as a custom kernel or at&t stock kernel modified by DocHoliday77 to get WiFi working

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Last edited by serio22; 2nd May 2014 at 05:11 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread