[Q] Pyle PTBL102BCD tablet has only partial ROOT

OP CharlieSummers

2nd May 2014, 03:03 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

20 posts
Have a strange one I don't know how to fix. Purchased a Pyle PTBL102BCD tablet for the Mrs. to use basically as an ebook reader (according to About, running 4.2.2). When it came in I started sideloading apps to prepare it for her (I do not have a Google account), and searched on the Net about rooting the device. Found a one-click that worked with a different Pyle tablet, so I gave it a shot.

Now I have root access _only_ through the adb shell. None of the apps (including Superuser.apk itself as tested by updating /system/bin/su) can get root access, yet I have no problem running root through an adb shell - remounted file systems, even performed an su which is the only instance Superuser.apk's log shows. Root access in the shell remains between reboots, so it's not a temporary root.

If the adb shell has root, I _should_ be able to use it to grant access to everything else, and I've followed a few different "manual" root instructions (having different permission settings for su and busybox), with no joy. So long as I connect with a USB cable and type on the Windows machine, I'm god. On the tablet itself...not so much.

I hope that someone with a more intimate knowledge of Android internals can point me in the right direction for achieving root completely. Currently have Titanium Backup and ConnectBot (long java errors when I attempt to su there) installed to test root, Superuser v3.1.3 and su v3.1.1. Permissions on su are -rwsr-sr-x. And the human is confused.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
pyle tablet root problem
Previous Thread Next Thread