Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,098 Members 46,312 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition

Tip us?

SolarTrans
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 166
Default Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition

I, like some others on the internet, feel like it's very possible that there won't be a Galaxy S5 GPE. Here's why:
-Samsung has hinted they wish to use their own OS (Tizen) and are trying to ditch Android. I don't know how far away this is, but with continually locking and customizing down their platform it appears they are purposefully moving away from the openness of Android. With them being slated as a manufacturer of an Android Wear device, this occurrence of ditching Google could very well be far off or nonexistent. I've only read a couple articles about this possibility, and it somewhat makes sense.
-Samsung won't move to software buttons. Google has long since pushed for software buttons on Android phones, and now most OEMs are following Google's "suggestions".
Samsung, on the other hand, has stubbornly stayed with hardware buttons (which I'm perfectly fine with XD)
-It hasn't been announced yet. The M8 GPE was announced and went on sale about three weeks ago. The S5 was announced 2 months ago, and there's been no mention of a GPE. It's possible it could come out at Google I/O, but it doesn't make sense why Samsung would wait so long after their biggest Android competitor already released their GPE.
-There are lots of hardware features to integrate. I'm not sure that Google would let Samsung integrate the fingerprint scanner and heartbeat sensor into the stock skin.

Although this post may seem pretty negative, I really hope the GPE S5 is released. I loved stock on the S4, and it would be a real shame if they stopped with the GPE phones.
What are your thoughts? Will they pull through and surprise us all with the S5 at I/O? Or will it remain a distant dream?

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

seanu13
Old
Thanks Meter 14
They announced they will be making tizen phones, but they will still make android phones as well. From what I read, it didn't sound like their flagship would be tizen based any time soon, and the tizen phones might be in developing countries. This is based off one article I read a few days ago. New/different info may be available now.
The Following User Says Thank You to seanu13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SolarTrans
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanu13 View Post
They announced they will be making tizen phones, but they will still make android phones as well. From what I read, it didn't sound like their flagship would be tizen based any time soon, and the tizen phones might be in developing countries. This is based off one article I read a few days ago. New/different info may be available now.

I think it's all speculation at this point, but Samsung seems not to be nearly as devoted to Google as other Android OEMs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seanu13
Old
(Last edited by seanu13; 20th April 2014 at 08:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 14

Oh yeah I totally agree. I was telling someone last week that I was betting they would move away from android and the next day saw an article about an actual announcement(I think an actual one). I will post a link if I find the source again. It was on flipboard

Edit: not the original article I saw but found another on flipboard. http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/...tter_feed_tech

SolarTrans
Old
(Last edited by SolarTrans; 20th April 2014 at 08:15 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 166

Quote:
Oh yeah I totally agree. I was telling someone last week that I was betting they would move away from android and the next day saw an article about an actual announcement(I think an actual one). I will post a link if I find the source again. It was on flipboard

Cool thanks! They'll turn into another Nokia :P (except with Android on the high end, not low end).
I think the S4 GPE was a success, so it seems silly why they wouldn't give it another go.
Edit: just saw your edit. Thanks!
Edit2: just read the article. Could the first Tizen "high-end" phone be the... Galaxy F?

seanu13
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTrans View Post
Cool thanks! They'll turn into another Nokia :P (except with Android on the high end, not low end).
I think the S4 GPE was a success, so it seems silly why they wouldn't give it another go.
Edit: just saw your edit. Thanks!

That's what I was thinking. I wanted a GPE version but got tired of waiting already and bought an AT&T one

SolarTrans
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 166
Quote:
That's what I was thinking. I wanted a GPE version but got tired of waiting already and bought an AT&T one

Ah :P
I'd buy the T-Mobile or Unlocked one because of the unlocked bootloader and enabled download booster

iamhacked
Old
Thanks Meter 16
On the google play edition, how does the display settings work??

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SolarTrans
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhacked View Post
On the google play edition, how does the display settings work??

There is no Galaxy S5 GPE yet. This is only speculation.
On the S4 GPE, you couldn't change display settings like you could on the stock one (Cinema/Photography/Adapt Display).
There was only the stock calibration. I'm sure there were and are kernel mods for it, though.

iamhacked
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTrans View Post
There is no Galaxy S5 GPE yet. This is only speculation.
On the S4 GPE, you couldn't change display settings like you could on the stock one (Cinema/Photography/Adapt Display).
There was only the stock calibration. I'm sure there were and are kernel mods for it, though.

I know, I'm just asking what it's like on the Galaxy s series GPE. What's the stock calibration? The display and touchwiz is what makes me hesitant to make a Galaxy s5

The Following User Says Thank You to iamhacked For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]