Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,955 Members 52,932 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Discussion] First Impressions

Tip us?

gtg465x
Old
(Last edited by gtg465x; 22nd March 2014 at 08:44 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 2,834
Default [Discussion] First Impressions

Once you get your hands on a GS5, post your first impressions here for everyone to discuss.

Select Best Buys now have demo units available to play with, so I went and got my hands on one today.

First of all, they only had them in white, and the white version doesn't feel good at all. The back looks like it would have a soft texture, but it's hard slippery plastic.

The new version of TouchWiz definitely looks better, but it still seems very cluttered to me.

It doesn't feel as smooth and fast as my stock Nexus 5 running ART, but it's almost as performant as a Nexus 5 running Dalvik. TouchWiz is obviously still heavy because it should really be faster than the Nexus 5 with that Snapdragon 801.

ART is not available. I tried to enable it to see if it would make it as fast as my Nexus 5, but the option has been removed by Samsung.

Can't say much about the camera because it's hard to judge pictures of the inside of Best Buy. It did focus and capture fast though.

That's all for now. Will update as I think of more.
Current Phones:
Moto X GSM Unlocked

Previous Phones:
HTC One Unlocked, Nexus 4, iPhone 5, Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S, HTC One X, Nokia Lumia 800, HTC Titan, Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Infuse, LG Thrill, HTC Inspire, Samsung Captivate, HTC Aria, Samsung BlackJack II
The Following User Says Thank You to gtg465x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dandroid13
Old
Thanks Meter 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg465x View Post
ART is not available. I tried to enable it to see if it would make it as fast as my Nexus 5, but the option has been removed by Samsung.
http://www.sammobile.com/2014/03/20/...d-runtime-art/
Help me with my Dropbox referrals! --> Click here <--

Ubuntu - "humanidade com os outros" ou "sou o que sou pelo que nůs somos"

gtg465x
Old
Thanks Meter 2,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandroid13 View Post
Maybe that was early software and now it's been removed. Or maybe only the Korean and international models will have it. It definitely wasn't there on the one I played with.
Current Phones:
Moto X GSM Unlocked

Previous Phones:
HTC One Unlocked, Nexus 4, iPhone 5, Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S, HTC One X, Nokia Lumia 800, HTC Titan, Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Infuse, LG Thrill, HTC Inspire, Samsung Captivate, HTC Aria, Samsung BlackJack II

gtg465x
Old
Thanks Meter 2,834
Here's a picture I took. No ART.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1395517961039.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	2644503  
Current Phones:
Moto X GSM Unlocked

Previous Phones:

dandroid13
Old
Thanks Meter 1,714
Quote:
Maybe that was early software and now it's been removed. Or maybe only the Korean and international models will have it. It definitely wasn't there on the one I played with.
Is it the international model?
Help me with my Dropbox referrals! --> Click here <--

Ubuntu - "humanidade com os outros" ou "sou o que sou pelo que nůs somos"

gtg465x
Old
Thanks Meter 2,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandroid13 View Post
Is it the international model?
Not sure. Guess I should have taken a picture of the about page. Oops.
Current Phones:
Moto X GSM Unlocked

Previous Phones:

BoneXDA
Old
Thanks Meter 1,076
Oh ART Runtime... It's such a joy walking into a store to stutter around on the latest and greatest of LG, Samsung, Sony, HTC, Huawei etc., then pull out my Nexus 4/ART and bring a big smile on my face. The S5 should be pretty snappy on ART.

barondebxl
Old
Thanks Meter 1,496
Quote:
It doesn't feel as smooth and fast as my stock Nexus 5 running ART, but it's almost as performant as a Nexus 5 running Dalvik. TouchWiz is obviously still heavy because it should really be faster than the Nexus 5 with that Snapdragon 801.
If it performs almost like a nexus 5 on dalvik that's EXCELLENT news. Touchwiz is heavy so that's really great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Iphone 6 Pre-ordered!!!

Current Device: Nokia Lumia 635

Recently Owned

HTC One M8

Sony Xperia Z2

Samsung Galaxy S 5

Oppo Find 7a

OnePlus One

ecparts
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default very powerful

My first impression on the S5 is very awesome ! The design is very nice. The waterproof and Anti-dust functions are amazing, it protect the phone very well. But the back cover is leather, i don't like the ugly back cover design.

barondebxl
Old
Thanks Meter 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimepots View Post
Hmm Touchwiz is heavy so that's really great.
Hmm you don't understand what you read.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Iphone 6 Pre-ordered!!!

Current Device: Nokia Lumia 635

Recently Owned

HTC One M8

Sony Xperia Z2

Samsung Galaxy S 5

Oppo Find 7a

OnePlus One