Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,670 Members 44,651 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

LG G2 android system usage?

Tip us?

winklethemoose
Old
(Last edited by winklethemoose; 1st October 2013 at 01:31 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default LG G2 android system usage?

I've noticed that even when I usey phone a lot of the day with screen on that my G2 is the first phone that the android system always uses more battery than the screen and I do not understand that. Every other phone I have had in the past(and it has been a lot because I'm a Verizon rep) my display takes much more battery. I notice that there is a ton of LG's crap running under android system, is that why I'm not seeing the battery life I would expect out of a 3000mah phone. I'm getting about 17-18hrs out of it. Which is good. But it's not Great! Any insight would be cool.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Dchibro
Old
Thanks Meter 281
Something that falls under the Android System category can trigger and go rogue, causing idle drain to be way higher than it should be. Its happened to me 3 times in two weeks, and a reboot cleared it up each time. I'm not certain as to the culprit as it wasn't obvious in BBS.

Sent from my LG G2 via Tapatalk
Current Device: LG G2 (D800)
Carrier: AT&T

winklethemoose
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Restarts, root, reflash, nothing has helped so far. I've gone as far as disabling everything I can that is lg and the system still uses more.

meld
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Android system on mine always on top
But, get easily 6hours screen time? how much screen time you got?

Android system always top i think because this device have GRAM
Make screen usage is very little, thats why.
If this device doesn't have GRAM maybe screen always on top but with worst battery life

EniGmA1987
Old
Thanks Meter 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by meld View Post
Android system always top i think because this device have GRAM
Make screen usage is very little, thats why.
If this device doesn't have GRAM maybe screen always on top but with worst battery life
No that is not why, the "GRAM" as you call it is simply a tiny amount of memory that is dedicated to storing a screenshot on what is on the screen and will shut down the GPU if a static image is on screen for more than 10 or 15 seconds. It has nothing to do with the screen drawing power.

Android System covers a ton of things on the phone, you need a better app that looks into individual processes to see which part is actually causing the excessive drain.

meld
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Hmm, im not sure but before own G2 i own G Pro.
Screen usage on G Pro always on top, android system is nowhere near. But battery life G2 is much better even android system always on top.

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda app-developers app

Ready2Mosh
Old
(Last edited by Ready2Mosh; 1st October 2013 at 04:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 86
If you go to the Task Manager app hit menu then settings and go to stop services you can check apps to keep them from running in the background, awesome feature.

Edit:
Ever since I stopped the facebook app, the stock email app, google play music, music,and youtube my battery is a lot better, was really good to begin with, but with these stopped, even better.

biggles316
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Disable wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by winklethemoose View Post
Restarts, root, reflash, nothing has helped so far. I've gone as far as disabling everything I can that is lg and the system still uses more.

I've been having real battery problems on my G2 as well - I found threads online attributing battery problems to the latest version of Google Play Services which can also raise the system usage. Turning off Wifi Location at the device level fixed the battery drain for me - it sucks to have to turn it off but it's clear that my battery drops like a truck with it on, is totally fine with it off.

ginold
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Can anyone confim that this is normal? i have an LG g2 with 3000mah and i loose 1% of battery every MINUTE while playing games, so 10 minutes of modern combat 4 or plats vs zombies is around 10 % (strange because the graphics complexity is very different) , 60-70% brightness, sound half way or headphones. Some people are speaking about "5h of screen time easily" while i get 2-3h ... some site even says " When we had kept the WiFi and 3G network on for a whole day, had surfed for around 3 hours, played games for about 1 hour, watched videos for around 1.5 hours and had talked for 2 hours we were able to get back up for 1.5 days. "

Xenovias
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginold View Post
Can anyone confim that this is normal? i have an LG g2 with 3000mah and i loose 1% of battery every MINUTE while playing games, so 10 minutes of modern combat 4 or plats vs zombies is around 10 % (strange because the graphics complexity is very different) , 60-70% brightness, sound half way or headphones. Some people are speaking about "5h of screen time easily" while i get 2-3h ... some site even says " When we had kept the WiFi and 3G network on for a whole day, had surfed for around 3 hours, played games for about 1 hour, watched videos for around 1.5 hours and had talked for 2 hours we were able to get back up for 1.5 days. "
Normal, depending what game you play.
MC4 and PVZ is heavy games. If you play simple game like cartoon war you will see the result is different.
Never ever heard smartphone can play MC4 straight in 5 hours