Anyone switch from a Nexus 5?

28th April 2014, 05:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Orlando
Thanks Meter: 240

654 posts
Donate to Me
so, I have the oppertunity to trade my Nexus 5 for a G2. I am wondering if anyone else made the same switch?

my main concern is loosing wireless charging and the whole update thing.

I LOVE being able to flash an almost 100% stable version of the latest update the day it gets announced. but it goes without saying, that I WILL be rooting/ROMing this thing. as long as I can get CM11 on it at the very least, I will be happy software wise I think.

I am pretty happy with the battery life and camera and build quality/size of the N5, as well as the screen. I really dont have much reason to switch other than the larger storage (16GB now), better camera, and better screen.

so, to anyone that has made the switch, what do you miss, and what don't you miss about the swap?
28th April 2014, 06:17 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 103

307 posts
I miss the way it feels n hand the most. Nexus 5 has a better build quality to me. But double the storage(had the 16gb) and better battery was enough for me to switch.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1398705394760.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	2714076   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1398705404035.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	2714077  
Last edited by lonz358; 28th April 2014 at 10:06 PM.
28th April 2014, 06:34 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 113

451 posts
The G2 has better display,speaker,battery and the camera.

Were also on 4.4, i say switch
28th April 2014, 07:12 PM   |  #4  
Flag Kitchener
Thanks Meter: 130

1,251 posts
More
yep i had the g2, switched to n5 for the rom customization... and came right back.. the battery on this phone makes it all worth it !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danial.aw For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th April 2014, 08:14 PM   |  #5  
Flag KCMO
Thanks Meter: 134

652 posts
More
I have both. Using the g2 now. Missed it. Unfortunately rooting with a freaking 4.4.2 Rom is near impossible w/o white lines. I've given up

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
28th April 2014, 08:29 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 10

52 posts
Someone said Nexus 5 had better build quality? Must be on crack or something. Same manufacturer, one phone sells for $300 less than the other, and somehow LG magically had extra money to put in better quality parts? The parts for the Nexus 5 are about as dirt-cheap as LG could've made them. The screen, most importantly, is abysmal.

I had a Nexus 5 for 2 weeks. Returned it due to crap build quality, low battery life, and no native double-tap to wake. If you think the build quality of the Nexus 5 is fine for you, then only the battery and double-tap are the pluses.

Going to G2 you get:
- much better premium screen
- phone feels better-built, more solid
- double tap to wake & buttons on back
- long battery life
- back of the phone is smooth (slippery)

You lose:
- Nexus 5 HDR+ camera (takes crisper pics than G2)
- lots of custom roms you can easily flash
- Nexus 5 software runs much faster despite having the same hardware

The ROMs for the G2 aren't that developed. Not many developers and they're not as polished as Nexus's roms. This is because the base LG rom is bloated, (2.3gb os vs 300mb Nexus os) and LG/Samsung make it harder to use recovery or flash roms.

Since I rarely flash roms, it's not a problem.

Don't miss: With G2 you never worry about charging your phone. I can run it for 2+ days w/o charging. Screen is wayyyyyyyy better & a bit bigger. G2 is a phone for the fit and forget. N5 is a phone for the fiddlers.
The Following User Says Thank You to gummybear00 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th April 2014, 10:05 PM   |  #7  

307 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear00

Someone said Nexus 5 had better build quality? Must be on crack or something. Same manufacturer, one phone sells for $300 less than the other, and somehow LG magically had extra money to put in better quality parts? The parts for the Nexus 5 are about as dirt-cheap as LG could've made them. The screen, most importantly, is abysmal.

I had a Nexus 5 for 2 weeks. Returned it due to crap build quality, low battery life, and no native double-tap to wake. If you think the build quality of the Nexus 5 is fine for you, then only the battery and double-tap are the pluses.

Going to G2 you get:
- much better premium screen
- phone feels better-built, more solid
- double tap to wake & buttons on back
- long battery life
- back of the phone is smooth (slippery)

You lose:
- Nexus 5 HDR+ camera (takes crisper pics than G2)
- lots of custom roms you can easily flash
- Nexus 5 software runs much faster despite having the same hardware

The ROMs for the G2 aren't that developed. Not many developers and they're not as polished as Nexus's roms. This is because the base LG rom is bloated, (2.3gb os vs 300mb Nexus os) and LG/Samsung make it harder to use recovery or flash roms.

Since I rarely flash roms, it's not a problem.

Don't miss: With G2 you never worry about charging your phone. I can run it for 2+ days w/o charging. Screen is wayyyyyyyy better & a bit bigger. G2 is a phone for the fit and forget. N5 is a phone for the fiddlers.

I'm on crack because I think the nexus 5 has better build quality? lol...the soft touch back on the nexus 5 just feel better than cheap slippery plastic. I'm not talking about what's inside.

28th April 2014, 10:19 PM   |  #8  
Flag Chorley
Thanks Meter: 122

421 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexicon

I have both. Using the g2 now. Missed it. Unfortunately rooting with a freaking 4.4.2 Rom is near impossible w/o white lines. I've given up

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Rooting on my 4.4.2. was as simple as using ioroot, with no issues caused at all. Saying it is near impossible is a bit extreme.
28th April 2014, 10:22 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 202

1,235 posts
More
I will have to agree that the soft touch back on the N5 (only on black, not on white/red) is a very nice feel.

Also can someone comment on speed/smoothness in G2 vs N5? I have a feeling LG Optimus UI is causing lag, even in KK, and slowing things down. I only played with a N5 briefly but everything was instant.

AOSP roms on the G2 just aren't stable enough and you lose a lot of features like the great camera.
28th April 2014, 10:30 PM   |  #10  

307 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECrispy

I will have to agree that the soft touch back on the N5 (only on black, not on white/red) is a very nice feel.

Also can someone comment on speed/smoothness in G2 vs N5? I have a feeling LG Optimus UI is causing lag, even in KK, and slowing things down. I only played with a N5 briefly but everything was instant.

AOSP roms on the G2 just aren't stable enough and you lose a lot of features like the great camera.

Nexus 5 is defiantly faster but not by much. Had the N5 for months then gave it to my gf and got the G2. Every now n then I pick it up just to experience the fluidness again.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread