Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Note Taking Setup

OP Mateyo64

19th April 2014, 04:50 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
I've had the tablet for about a week and half now, and I absolutely love it. Since I've purchased the tablet, it's become a central part of note taking and studying for me. I just wanted to share how I use my tablet to study and I wanted to hear how everyone else else used their tablets for note taking so I could improve my setup.

So I use Evernote as the main app for note taking. I love its multiplatform sync ability. Whatever notes I take on my tablet will show up on my phone AND PC so I have access to my notes at all times. I also love that evernote has so many extensions (voice recording, document scanner, handwriting, etc). So this is the center of my note taking/ studying process.

I use the Logitech Keyboard for android tablets. I love it. Personally I think its well built and portable. Much better quality than those cheap keyboards that come with the cases. It's a little inconvenient to carry cause its essentially a separate device to carry around, but totally worth it for for the near laptop typing experience. I actually find that I don't use the stylus all that much. I'm an engineer so I thought I would absolutely be using the stylus but I find that its much easier to either type it out, copy paste the diagram I needed to draw from the professor's powerpoint (if they provide it before lecture), or just take a picture. What I do find really useful is using the stylus to edit pictures that I've taken. For instance, I was working on a prosthetic hand and needed to write down measurements. I just drew the measurements out on a picture I took of the hand! It was convenient and intuitive.

I use ANKI, a crossplatform flash card program/app that has latex capabilites. That means I can make flashcards with pictures, equations, chemical formulas, etc. I also love its formulic approach to flash cards so that it controls the amount of time that the card stays at the bottom of the deck so that you learn the concept long term instead of just cramming it into short term memory. What really makes this work is the combination of ANKI and evernote. I'll take the synced notes from evernote on my PC, and copy paste them into ANKI on my computer. Then tada! Flashcards are now synced to my phone, tablet, and PC with pictures, formulas, and questions with very little hassle.

So thats basically my note taking/ study setup. For those of you that use your tablet for taking notes or studying, how do you do it?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing your methods.
26th April 2014, 03:06 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
782 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateyo64

I've had the tablet for about a week and half now, and I absolutely love it. Since I've purchased the tablet, it's become a central part of note taking and studying for me. I just wanted to share how I use my tablet to study and I wanted to hear how everyone else else used their tablets for note taking so I could improve my setup.

So I use Evernote as the main app for note taking. I love its multiplatform sync ability. Whatever notes I take on my tablet will show up on my phone AND PC so I have access to my notes at all times. I also love that evernote has so many extensions (voice recording, document scanner, handwriting, etc). So this is the center of my note taking/ studying process.

I use the Logitech Keyboard for android tablets. I love it. Personally I think its well built and portable. Much better quality than those cheap keyboards that come with the cases. It's a little inconvenient to carry cause its essentially a separate device to carry around, but totally worth it for for the near laptop typing experience. I actually find that I don't use the stylus all that much. I'm an engineer so I thought I would absolutely be using the stylus but I find that its much easier to either type it out, copy paste the diagram I needed to draw from the professor's powerpoint (if they provide it before lecture), or just take a picture. What I do find really useful is using the stylus to edit pictures that I've taken. For instance, I was working on a prosthetic hand and needed to write down measurements. I just drew the measurements out on a picture I took of the hand! It was convenient and intuitive.

I use ANKI, a crossplatform flash card program/app that has latex capabilites. That means I can make flashcards with pictures, equations, chemical formulas, etc. I also love its formulic approach to flash cards so that it controls the amount of time that the card stays at the bottom of the deck so that you learn the concept long term instead of just cramming it into short term memory. What really makes this work is the combination of ANKI and evernote. I'll take the synced notes from evernote on my PC, and copy paste them into ANKI on my computer. Then tada! Flashcards are now synced to my phone, tablet, and PC with pictures, formulas, and questions with very little hassle.

So thats basically my note taking/ study setup. For those of you that use your tablet for taking notes or studying, how do you do it?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing your methods.

Thanks for your mini-review! That what I was looking for, a simple tablet for note taking. Can you try Lecture Notes, I use that on my galaxy note, but want to know how it performs on this one.

I wan to read lots of pdfs and docs, how reading on it?
30th April 2014, 03:00 AM   |  #3  
rchrdcrg's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Branson, MO
Thanks Meter: 25
 
154 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
I found the included Write program to be extremely simple and efficient once you learn it. I loved it so much that when I got my hands on a Galaxy Note 2, I immediately installed it and have almost never used SNote... I also don't really use my TN7 nearly as much now, either, although it's still a badass gaming tablet, so I still use it for that. If you haven't been sold on Write, try looking into the features more deeply... their description of it as "a word processor for handwriting" it pretty spot-on, and I'd be lost without it. The only feature it lacks is syncing, but now that I have a GNote 2 instead of a regular phone and my TN7, I don't really need that feature as I'm no longer carrying two devices around with me.
1st May 2014, 03:09 PM   |  #4  
6stringandy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Macon, GA
Thanks Meter: 21
 
251 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra99

Thanks for your mini-review! That what I was looking for, a simple tablet for note taking. Can you try Lecture Notes, I use that on my galaxy note, but want to know how it performs on this one.

I wan to read lots of pdfs and docs, how reading on it?

Reading on this tablet is great. I use "docstogo" for regular documents and pdfs. And I use "Moon Reader" for comics.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
3rd May 2014, 06:41 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
112 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringandy

Reading on this tablet is great. I use "docstogo" for regular documents and pdfs. And I use "Moon Reader" for comics.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I have a few minor beefs with the write app but overall it has worked well for me. There were a few things I emailed the developer about and gave me a few tips that helped.

One beef was that it wouldn't respond to my fingers when I was trying to scroll around or zoom. That seems better in the last update though. The other thing is when you add an image to the document. When it is inserted and highlighted, it is very hard to grab the corner to shrink/enlarge the picture. Most times it de-selects the picture and I have to re-select it with the box tool, then when I try to resize it again, many times de-selecting it again.

My last "beef" is the size of the tablet. If it was a 10" or larger, it would be much better to write on. I have to zoom way in to write legibly, which means after writing a word or two, I have to scroll over to write more.
The Following User Says Thank You to tsbrewers For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes