Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,949 Members 43,430 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Complete noob and new to Androids!

Tip us?

OrangeMagicGod
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Complete noob and new to Androids!

Hey peeps,

Am totally new to android as I have only just binned my iphone contact and got a Ultra, the issue am having, I am reading and reading and getting nowhere fast

I would like to root my phone but I seem to be getting stuck in an endless loop which I don't know how to break!

Phone is brand new, no contacts, nothing, I just want to do the following, which I would have thought would be in this order,

Backup the TA (As I have read and read that this will save the DRM keys, which once lost are gone)

Now, I read to backup the TA, I need to root, to root I need to unlock bootloader, to unlockboot loader you have to root all of which then I read is warnings that you can lose the DRM's

Arrrghhhh

I have the flashtool installed

Am on .757

My bootloader is locked but unless the .757 update changed it I was able to unlock it but everything I have tried and read doesn't work

I have my unlock key as well, and I have vague idea's what I want to do but there are so many threads and everything seems to loop back to to root, you need unlock, to unlock you need root to flash you need root lol am going crazy.

Am not sure why am struggling so much with following the guides but I guess it's cause I have zero experience with doing this.

any help would be greatly appreciated

LordManhattan
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5,657
Yeah, I'm not surprised by this at all; and welcome! You have to downgrade to 532 using Flashtool, then root, and then backup the TA partition. You're free to upgrade to 757 again after that, unlock your bootloader and root 757.

Sent from my Z Ultra
The Following User Says Thank You to LordManhattan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

OrangeMagicGod
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for that info mate, so far that's made more sense than searching all of these posts

Am thinking about two steps in this guide to downgrade

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2593918

First one seems very simple, but second one seems to flash them back to solid stock from the look of it.

Once downgraded,

I thought you require bootloader unlocked before you can root, and from what I read you need root to unlock/backup, or have I missed something?

(hopefully will be back to 532 shortly after files finish downloading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan View Post
Yeah, I'm not surprised by this at all; and welcome! You have to downgrade to 532 using Flashtool, then root, and then backup the TA partition. You're free to upgrade to 757 again after that, unlock your bootloader and root 757.

Sent from my Z Ultra

Speederoff
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeMagicGod View Post
Thanks for that info mate, so far that's made more sense than searching all of these posts

Am thinking about two steps in this guide to downgrade

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2593918

First one seems very simple, but second one seems to flash them back to solid stock from the look of it.

Once downgraded,

I thought you require bootloader unlocked before you can root, and from what I read you need root to unlock/backup, or have I missed something?

(hopefully will be back to 532 shortly after files finish downloading.
Hey mate, yesterday i had successfully root my XZU with locked bootloader and no backup TA or else, because I'm not yet decided to unlock.
Currently your device is locked or unlocked bootloader?.
Perhaps i could help you.

OrangeMagicGod
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Currently mines locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speederoff View Post
Hey mate, yesterday i had successfully root my XZU with locked bootloader and no backup TA or else, because I'm not yet decided to unlock.
Currently your device is locked or unlocked bootloader?.
Perhaps i could help you.

blueether
Old
(Last edited by blueether; 2nd May 2014 at 11:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1,148

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Currently mines locked.
Just do as has been said a thousand times...
  1. Downgrade to .532 - see my downgrade thread
  2. Root using either [NUT]'s dual recovery or bin4ries tool - see thread in step above or LordManhattans guide
  3. Backup the TA - see LordManhattons guide
  4. Upgrade to latest FTF
  5. Unlock bootloader
  6. Root using jackies099's kernel
  7. ...
Charles
Alcatel One Touch "easy" -> Nokia 1110i -> Alcatel ame-408 -> Motorola Razr v3 -> Huawei u8100 -> Sony Xperia Z-Ultra

ROM:- Carbon
Kernel:- Pimped Kernel

Thankyou to all those that have donated to me over 2014.

OrangeMagicGod
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
After hours of reading and searching around and trying to follow what LordManhattan said.

I have the phone down to 523.

I now have the bootloader unlocked

Just not sure on the rooting of the phone..

With Flashtool can I simple press the Lock key and root it that way? I don't know the difference between Superuser or SuperSU

Or do I have to do it another way?

I have looked at a number of rooting options and am unsure what to do, one way the links on the guide didn't work others are little confusing!

blueether
Old
Thanks Meter 1,148

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
After hours of reading and searching around and trying to follow what LordManhattan said.

I have the phone down to 523.

I now have the bootloader unlocked

Just not sure on the rooting of the phone..

With Flashtool can I simple press the Lock key and root it that way? I don't know the difference between Superuser or SuperSU

Or do I have to do it another way?

I have looked at a number of rooting options and am unsure what to do, one way the links on the guide didn't work others are little confusing!
The order you have done it in is just wrong, so wrong... But what's done is done

Now that the bootloader is unlocked just flash a 757 FTF and install jackie099's kernel http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2714511 and then flash SuperSu from recovery
Charles
Alcatel One Touch "easy" -> Nokia 1110i -> Alcatel ame-408 -> Motorola Razr v3 -> Huawei u8100 -> Sony Xperia Z-Ultra

ROM:- Carbon
Kernel:- Pimped Kernel

Thankyou to all those that have donated to me over 2014.

Sadman Khan
Old
Thanks Meter 235
Did you just skip backing up TA partition? Because if you did, that just defeats the purpose of downgrading

Sent from my C6802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

OrangeMagicGod
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Morning peeps,

No atm I stopped at unlocking the bootloader after the downgrade, I have tried to run the Backup-TA-9.10 app but it fails on detecting Root cause obviously mines not rooted.

So regarding backup am not sure what am supposed to do, as all threads seem to point to that you require root to backup o.0

blueether I have read so many threads my eyes feel like they are going to bleed, like my original post stated, it seems to be a loop I was getting stuck in.

I cant backup without root from all the threads comments

I cant root without backup for safety and bootloader unlocked, and to unlock bootloader it seemed I had to be a specific version namely 532 to unlock.

So I have got somewhere, instead of pulling my hair out going no where

I hope the way I have moved forward doesn't or hasn't caused any possible lose of keys etc, so the question is, how do I backup before trying the next step of root?