[Q] how to pull backup data with adb

Search This thread

ShadeChar

May 3, 2014
hey guys
I'm completely desperate. Here's what happened the last two days:

Yesterday my Fairphone suddenly became very slowly and then wouldn't boot no more. Since then every time I try to start my phone, I get the message "process system doesn't react" or something like that. The only thing thats working is the recovery mode.

Today I wanted to make a complete backup so that I can make a hard reset afterwards. But then I had to realize, that the recovery mode isn't able (or I'm not able to see how) to make a backup on an external sd card but only on the internal storage (which is also called sd card which confused me about an hour).
The problem now is that I have a backup but I can't get it on my computer or on my external sd card and so it will be deleted too if I make a hard reset.

I searched the internet for hours and found out, that it is possible to somehow remote control the phone via adb. I read that the phone has to be in "usb debugging mode". I can just put my phone into adb sideload mode or however its called by choosing "update with adb" in the recovery menu.
Is this the reason why my "adb pull" command isn't working? It just says "error: closed". Or is it because I haven't wrote right the path of the backup file? (I used: /mnt/sdcard/userdata_20130801_134656.backup)

Please help me! I have tried so much already, my brain is sizzling:silly:

I'm working on a Mac and have installed sdk.

Thanks in advance!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
Just to close this topic and maybe help other people with the same issue:

I finally managed to pull the /data folder using adb. What I didn't know was that the backup file (and all pictures, videos, music and so on too) is stored on the internal sd card which isn't affected by the factory reset in the recovery menu. What I also found out was that the backup file (that I had created during the "bootloop" or whatever it was) was corrupted. So the backup logically broke my FP again after I restored from it.

So the solution, as mentioned above, was to pull the /data folder which contains all important user data such as wifi passwords, contacts, messages and so on

I hope it helps

peace
SC

Last edited: